Ignition switch, what happen when Left or Right is selected

Old May 18th 05, 03:49 AM
Martin B

Default Ignition switch, what happen when Left or Right is selected

Hello,

Here is my question:

On regular aircrafts, like C150, C172, PA28, when we perform the
magneto check where we select Left, than Right, while looking for RPM
drop... what is the switch doing?

When we select Left or Right, do we short that particular magneto or
are we shorting the other one?

I checked all my books and cannot find the answer.

Thanks in advance,

Martin

Old May 18th 05, 04:05 AM
Bill Zaleski

You are shorting the magneto that is not selected, therefore
inhibiting it's operation.

Old May 18th 05, 04:57 AM
Guillermo

"Bill Zaleski" wrote in message
You are shorting the magneto that is not selected, therefore
inhibiting it's operation.

And that's one of the dangerous things of a magneto system. They are hot on
their own, unless shorted. So if the wiring gets loose in the key switch, or
something else along the circuit gets disconnected, actually you may have a
hot prop, which is very dangerous.
If when you do a magneto check you notice NO RPM drop, then either the
grounding is not correct, or the other magneto is not working at all.

Old May 18th 05, 05:13 AM
BTIZ

and now the other part of that question... for most key switches that have
"Off" "Left" "Right" "Both" "Start" positions.. what happens when you go to
the "Start" position.?.

BT

Old May 18th 05, 05:17 AM
Peter Duniho

"Guillermo" wrote in message
And that's one of the dangerous things of a magneto system. They are hot
on
their own, unless shorted.

Well, yes and no. I mean, yes...a hot prop can be dangerous, depending on
the engine and airplane.

But compared to the hazard of having a broken wire disable your magneto,
it's a pretty minor danger. The "short the magneto" design is that way for
a reason, and I think most people would agree with that reason.

There are lots of "dangerous things" about airplanes. This just happens to
be one of them, and it's not really that big of a deal as things go.

[...]
If when you do a magneto check you notice NO RPM drop, then either the
grounding is not correct, or the other magneto is not working at all.

Yup. Of course, it's easy enough to determine which it is, when you go to
test the other magneto.

Pete

Old May 18th 05, 05:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and now the other part of that question... for most key switches that have
"Off" "Left" "Right" "Both" "Start" positions.. what happens when you go
to the "Start" position.?.

Assuming just one magneto with an impulse coupling, the other magneto is
shorted and the starter is engaged (by electrical relay, generally...I'm not
aware of any airplane starter that runs the current straight through the mag
switch).

Note also that this is true only of systems that use an impulse coupling for
starting.

Of course, you could have just posted that information, rather than turning
into a pop-quiz.

Pete

Old May 18th 05, 05:32 AM
Dave Stadt

"BTIZ" wrote in message
and now the other part of that question... for most key switches that have
"Off" "Left" "Right" "Both" "Start" positions.. what happens when you go

the "Start" position.?.

BT

Usually, the propeller starts turning and after a seond or two the noise
level increases. Sorry, couldn't pass that one up.

Old May 18th 05, 05:35 AM
BTIZ

a good answer... but missing essential elements.. LOL

See Pete's answer
BT

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
m...

Accidents happen... Manuel Piloting 26 November 28th 04 11:32 AM
LEFT WINGERS IN FOR BIG SURPISE - STROKES TO FOLLOW ELECTION Jarg Military Aviation 3 April 20th 04 06:37 PM