Anyone got a PIREP on Seattle's Museum of Flight?

Old May 19th 05, 04:20 AM
Bob Gardner

Yeah...but he had already said that Saturday was the day.

Bob

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
There is an admission fee at the MofF.

Though, not on the first Thursday of each month. Plan your visit right,
and no fee.

Old May 19th 05, 06:26 AM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Yeah...but he had already said that Saturday was the day.

True. I simply point it out for others who may be reading this thread for
the same information the original poster asked for.

Old May 19th 05, 10:36 AM
Cub Driver

I lectured there one time but don't remember a whole lot about the
museum. What I really enjoyed was the Aircar at SeaTac airport. It was
maintained there by the museum people, I think.

I like those grace notes in airports. First time I landed at Denver
International, I remarked to somebody that what I had always enjoyed
about Stapleton was the Jenny trainer hanging overhead. He said that
the Jenny had made the move to DIA. Sure enough, it's there at the
convergence of the concourses, so I can say hello to it every year on
my way to Aspen.

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum:
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old May 19th 05, 09:21 PM
Margy

Jay Honeck wrote:
The shop is just like every other museum shop. You'll find the
obligatory NASA stuff, Boeing (why am I not surprised), the coffee
table books, etc. No flea market stuff at all.

Hmmm... Boeing stuff?

Suppose there's a source of real, authentic Boeing memorabilia for a
possible Boeing Suite?

We've got cool Boeing models (including the 787) at the museum in
addition to a panel of the fuselage which is rather cool. I'm sure
someone at Boeing would be able to help you out. You have to find your
local community relations person.

Margy
Old May 19th 05, 09:26 PM
Margy

Bob Gardner wrote:
Things have changed since Neil Gould's visit; the museum is continually
improving. The most notable change is the acquisition of the Champlin
Fighter Museum from Falcon Field in Mesa, AZ.

Not knowing whether you intended to park your plane near the museum I tried
to get some information....after fighting the telephone tree I was switched
to Security, and got one of those "Sorry we missed you..." messages.

Talked to a museum docent today (flew as a B29 crewmember over Japan) and he
suggested that you park in the lot south of the museum, go to the fighter
display first, then to the Red Barn, then where your interests take you.
There are displays across Marginal Way from the Museum...I haven't visited
any of them yet.

The Boeing Surplus store won't score you any memorabilia, just worn-out
office equipment and various kinds of hardware. If you want Boeing stuff,
the best source is The Boeing Store (duh) at 6th and Park in Renton.

Being an airplane person, as opposed to a space person, I like the MofF
better than the Air and Space Museum on the Mall in DC...it leans heavily on
space with a nod to airplanes. Haven't been to Wright-Patterson yet.

Bob, I would suggest a visit to "The Other Air and Space" i.e. The
Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of the National Air and Space Museum, near
Dulles airport. It's LOTs of airplanes (many one of a kind) that Air
and Space has had tucked away for years. No, you can't fly into Dulles
and taxi down, but it's still worth the trip.

Margy

There is an admission fee at the MofF.

Bob Gardner

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

We're flying to Seattle this weekend aboard the "executive mail tube,"
sadly. Gotta be at my nephew's wedding, and just can't trust that the
weather will cooperate enough for us to fly Atlas over the mountains on a
schedule.

(Although we just had husband & wife guests at the inn who were flying a
gorgeous 1940 Meyers OTW open-cockpit biplane -- at 80 mph -- all the way
from Oregon to Michigan! They landed at KIOW at sunset, after departing
Wyoming at sunrise... Boy, were they COLD and tired!)

We're planning on going to the Museum of Flight on Saturday morning (not
too early...the stag party is the night before!) -- can anyone post a
PIREP on this museum? What's not to miss, what's worth skipping. I
expect we'll have far less than a full day to see it, and I want to make
sure to hit the "high points"....

Also, any unique aviation "stuff" available for sale at the museum? You
know, stuff we can only get there, not at every tent in the Fly Market at
OSH? We're always "on the prowl" for artwork and memorabilia for the
hotel.

Thanks in advance!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 19th 05, 10:12 PM
Len

Hi Jay-

If you are interested in warbirds, I'd highly recommend the Personal
Courage wing. Lots of interesting WW1 and WW2 aircraft, stories and sounds.

The whole museum will take several hours to go through, depending on
your interest level. The more you read, the longer it takes, and it is
worth it!

They also have several aircraft across the street that are open for
display-- a Presidential plane and a Concorde. They also have the first
747, an early (if not the first) 737 and 727.

They are in the process of getting a rare DC-2 from Long Beach. It will
be quite an undertaking to get it up here- something like $150K just to
get the engines overhauled to fly it here for restoration.

I haven't spent much time in their gift shop, but I hear it is pretty good.

Also, you picked a really good weekend. They are having the cascade
warbird fly-in. check out their website at: www.museumofflight.org

If you are up for a walk (or short drive), Boeing has one of it's
corporate stores up the road. Head north about 2 miles, it is located in
front of their delivery/flight test center. They sell Boeing pens,
clothing, posters, etc. I'm not sure if they are open on Saturday though.

Have fun-

Len

PP-S/MEL KBFI

Old May 20th 05, 03:59 PM
ram

There is also a Boeing Store north of the Museum on E. Marginal. No reason
to go over the Renton. Have been doing some work at Boeing the last couple
of weeks. Drive by the Museum every day, but have not had a chance to stop
in yet. Did stop in at the Boeing Store yesterday. Typical clothing,
trinkets, toys and, of course, model planes. All over priced. But, of
course, I did make a purchase and will probably go back. Doing work for
Boeing, I feel like my wife would feel working for Hershey.