for the hangar queens

Old December 6th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default for the hangar queens

Let's have a moment of silence for all the hangar queens, languishing
on the ground. Here are two 1-35s that are at least 25 years old, both
with less than 500 hours of airtime:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/want-ads7.htm

Johan Larson

Old December 6th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

I find that really a shame, because I have 128 hours in a 1-35 and it's
really a nice sailplane, in my opinion. Then again, I like tha flaps
better than spoilers. A 1-35 is really pretty rugged, and makes a fine
first sailplane, if one can get past the fear of looking down over the
nose at full flap.

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old December 6th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

wrote:
Thats cos they fly like crap

Al

Now Al,

Tell us what you really think. Speaking of that what are you flying
these days?

Tim

Old December 6th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Well,

If you're used to an ASW-22, you would probably think they fly like
crap. It's kind of like wealth... it's relative... Everyone knows that
Oprah is wealthy... but if Bill Gates woke up tomorrow with Oprah's
money... he'd hang himself! For someone that doesn't think he has to
beat the world, they fly fine. I did my badge work in one and it was
more of an accomplishment than having done it in glass, but then, less
of an accomplishment than doing it in a 1-26. My PIK flys like crap, or
does it? I don't have any trouble with the local Discus drivers...

Jack Womack
PIK-20B N77MA (TE)

Old December 6th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jack wrote:
I find that really a shame, because I have 128 hours in a 1-35 and it's
really a nice sailplane, in my opinion. Then again, I like tha flaps
better than spoilers. A 1-35 is really pretty rugged, and makes a fine
first sailplane, if one can get past the fear of looking down over the
nose at full flap.

The one with only 250 hours is the real puzzler. Ten hours per year?
Whoever owned it should have sold it off while it was still worth
something.

Johan Larson

Old December 6th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My first glider was a 1-35C. It served me well. Entering the 36:1 club
for only $15-18K is a good deal. The 1-35 was designed to compete with
the growth in fiberglass planes; while it could keep up, it still was a
bit shy on performance at the higher speeds.

I flew side-by-side flight performance comparisons with a friend in his
ASW-19. We were perfectly matched in the common flight regimes but
differed in three areas: 1) The 1-35 thermalled slower and tighter due
to lower wing loading and flaps, 2) The 1-35 landed extremely shorter
thanks to the flaps and steep approach angle, and 3) The 1-35
noticeably dropped below the ASW-19's glide when faster than 80 KIAS.

But high speed was not the reason I bought one. Learning cross-country
and safely landing very slowly in fields were the huge draws for me as
a new guy. At the time of purchase, I had 29 glider hours; the flaps
were no big deal for me due to high-time in powered airplanes.

My 1-35C was the plane that first took me away from the airport where I
learned to fly gliders.

It was a good ownership learning plane for me. That is, when I put a
dent into it learning how to assemble, move, or put the plane back in
the box, it was easy to fix. Being metal also allowed me to feel
comfortable about flying it during our cold Colorado winters. My
current plane is fiberglass and thus stays in its box during the cold
season.

For around $15K, these two 1-35s are a great buy for both the new guy
and the experienced guy.

Raul Boerner