Jep p or NACO Charts?

Old December 6th 04, 02:01 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
[Howie Keefe Airchart Systems]
If I understand it correctly, you get a new SIAP book once a year, and
every 2 weeks get a cumulative list of updates to that book. What
happens if halfway through the year, your book is so beat up that you
need to buy a new one? The updates sheet you're getting is now relative
to an issue of the book other than the one you're using. How does that
work out?

Well, if the update says "change the MDA to 2450" and the MDA is already
2450, then you don't need to do the update, do you?

Is that how the updates work? If they're all like that, then it's
obvious it should not be an issue. But are there things like "procedure
redesigned, get new plate". With something like that, I would have no
way of knowing if the plate I was looking at was the old or the new
version. Or in a case like that, would it say "version xxxxx obsolete,
replaced by version yyyyy" and I'd just have to verify I had the right
version plate?
Old December 6th 04, 02:54 PM
Paul Tomblin

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:
In a previous article, Roy Smith said:
[Howie Keefe Airchart Systems]
need to buy a new one? The updates sheet you're getting is now relative
to an issue of the book other than the one you're using. How does that
work out?

Well, if the update says "change the MDA to 2450" and the MDA is already
2450, then you don't need to do the update, do you?

Is that how the updates work? If they're all like that, then it's

Sometimes. Sometimes the changes are so drastic that they tell you to
download and print out a new plate from their web site.

redesigned, get new plate". With something like that, I would have no
way of knowing if the plate I was looking at was the old or the new
version. Or in a case like that, would it say "version xxxxx obsolete,

And if you were to download and print out a plate that's identical to the
one that's already in your book, where's the harm?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying,
Old December 7th 04, 02:12 PM
Mark Manes

I just got a notice from NGA that they intend to (on Oct 1, 2005)
discontinue disseminating DOD aeronautical information to the public. If
that means what it sounds like it does, then it looks like we may all be
using Jepp data. See the link below in the Federal Register.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...R-04-25631.pdf
and
http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...ont_Notice.pdf

Sounds Bad to me

Mark Manes

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
The www.airchart.com, Howie Keefe system works fine and is a LOT less
expensive. You can get a year of the whole 48 states for $360 or so,
and areas like the NE for $60. This includes (text) updates, but it
works. I am not affilated with aircharts at all, but I have used them
and I can tell you they work.

Their VFR and IFR Atlases are really good too.

Old December 7th 04, 02:51 PM
John T

Mark Manes wrote:
I just got a notice from NGA that they intend to (on Oct 1, 2005)
discontinue disseminating DOD aeronautical information to the public.
If that means what it sounds like it does, then it looks like we may
all be using Jepp data. See the link below in the Federal Register.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...R-04-25631.pdf
and
http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...ont_Notice.pdf

It sounds bad if you're a consumer of DAFIF or FLIP data, but I don't see
where this has anything to do with the availability of NACO plates (forcing
us to Jepp).

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old December 7th 04, 03:11 PM

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:51:41 -0500, "John T" wrote:

Mark Manes wrote:
I just got a notice from NGA that they intend to (on Oct 1, 2005)
discontinue disseminating DOD aeronautical information to the public.
If that means what it sounds like it does, then it looks like we may
all be using Jepp data. See the link below in the Federal Register.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...R-04-25631.pdf
and
http://www.naco.faa.gov/content/naco...ont_Notice.pdf

It sounds bad if you're a consumer of DAFIF or FLIP data, but I don't see
where this has anything to do with the availability of NACO plates (forcing
us to Jepp).

Does this mean that the ability to download PDF images of charts will
no longer be available?

Just what exactly is the DAFIF anyway?

(The way I read this, this is another argument for NOS vs Jepp, since
Jepp publishes military plates, I believe, and NOS does not. Sounds
like Jepp no longer will be able to. Correct me if I am wrong here,
please.)
Old December 9th 04, 03:34 AM
Mitty

With something like that, I would have no
way of knowing if the plate I was looking at was the old or the new
version.

Very easy. Bottom left hand corner has the Revision number for major revisions
and a Julian date that is bumped for minor revisions. So download or view
online any plates you're wondering about and print 'em if there is a change.