Was the Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp the best engine of WW II?

Old January 6th 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Overlord

Default Was the Pratt & Whitney Double Wasp the best engine of WW II?

The Pacific was a "sideshow" ???? Tell that to the men who fought there,
including my Grandfather....

As to the R-2800...

Ask anyone who has ACTUALLY flown a round engine...

The shake, they leak, and when a cylinder blows completely off they still
get you home. Been there, done that.

The fact of the matter is that both the Packard-Merlin and the P&W-2800 were
excellent engines in their time. Each had it's strong points, and it's
weaknesses.

Ruggedness went to the P&W. Fuel efficiency went to the Merlin. Both powered
excellent aircraft.

Arguements about which machine was best are silly. The real discussioin
should be about which men were the best. Men win wars, machines don't.

OL

Old January 7th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Henry_H@Q_cyber.org[_1_]

It seems that I either dash off messages before I get them right, or I
hone them untill they are perfect, and I never get them posted.

First problem with my message was that it was "after the fact".

I have to remember to quit arguing when other people change their
position. Sorry.

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 05:09:01 GMT, "Overlord"
wrote:

The Pacific was a "sideshow" ???? Tell that to the men who fought there,
including my Grandfather....

No point asking. In "Up Front" Joe says to Willie "I don't give a damn
what they say, this is the most important hole in the world, I am IN
it!"

A side show for deciding which was the best engine.

I was thinking about that, and it is really scary that we came very
close to losing more people in the secondary theater than we did ni
the primary one. Jeeze!

As to the R-2800...

Ask anyone who has ACTUALLY flown a round engine...

Asking anyone who has flown a radial, and only a radial is just the
same as asking the guy if hile is important.

The shake, they leak, and when a cylinder blows completely off they still
get you home. Been there, done that.

The fact of the matter is that both the Packard-Merlin and the P&W-2800 were
excellent engines in their time. Each had it's strong points, and it's
weaknesses.

Ruggedness went to the P&W. Fuel efficiency went to the Merlin. Both powered
excellent aircraft.

Arguements about which machine was best are silly. The real discussioin
should be about which men were the best. Men win wars, machines don't.

As an engineer, I tend to think about machines, and if I think about
men, it is mainly the ones that made the machines!

It is easy to find cases of brave, heroic men who lost because they
had the wrong machines, or had some other "system" failure.

Henry_H.

OL

Old January 7th 07, 01:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Henry_H@Q_cyber.org[_1_]

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 09:55:15 -0600, Bobby Galvez

Lets see, I have a real hard time with P&W insect names, (especially
with the "Twin" and "Double" what's the dif?)

Well it looks like somebody over there owes you an apology. See that you get it.
Nobody should give you a hard time. Ever.

I agree. But, I do not expect any apology.

I would have been happy if some one would have just explained it for
me. But, since they did not, I tried to figure it out for myself.

My cut is:

Desigination Name rows cylinders bore stroke
Displacement (according to me)
R-985 Wasp Junior 1 9 5.2 5.2 993.9017088
R-1340 Wasp 1 9 5.75 5.75 1343.807128
R-1535 Twin Wasp Junior 2 14 5.1875 5.1875
1534.946567
R-1690 Hornet 1 9 6.125 6.375 1690.541286
R-1830 Twin Wasp 2 14 5.5 5.5 1829.39295
R-2800 Double Wasp 2 18 5.75 6 2804.46705
R-4360 Wasp Major 4 28 5.75 6 4362.5043

I had several problems, but mainly it seems fairly simple.

First they had the "Wasp" and then they had the "Twin Wasp". The
"Twin" didn't mean what I once thought that it was composed of two
banks that were "twins" of the singel row version. It just mean that
there were two rows.

Then they had the "Double Wasp" which was, fairly close, two "Wasps".

(stuff that gave me a hard time snipped)

The Pacific was a whole different story, and the R-2800 was more
important there, but lets face it, the Pacific was a sideshow.

Yeah.

Pearl Harbor, Doolittle, Corregidor, Bataan, Guadalcanal, Midway, Hiroshima,
Nagasaki .... why do historians even bother mentioning them?

No one said that side shows couldn't be interesting.

BTW AFAIK, there were no R-2800s involved in any of the spots you
mention.

I guess that the engines that were the U. S. "MVPs" in those cases
we

Pearl Harbor R-1830
Doolittle C-W R-2600
Corregidor
Bataan
Guadalcanal R-1830
Midway (I have to think about that)
Hiroshima C-W R-3350
Nagasaki C-W R-3350

There were few, if any Merlins, either. The ETO wouldn't turn loose of
them.

..... why do historians even bother mentioning them?

Too much time on their hands?

Actually, as I already said, the Pacific was important, it just wasn't
the "engine showcase."

Henry_H.

Sheesh!!!

BobbyG

Old January 12th 07, 07:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
fannum[_1_]

wrote:

The fact of the matter is that both the Packard-Merlin and the P&W-2800 were
excellent engines in their time. Each had it's strong points, and it's
weaknesses.

Ruggedness went to the P&W. Fuel efficiency went to the Merlin. Both powered
excellent aircraft.

Arguements about which machine was best are silly.

As far as the comments go, more energy has been wasted arguing about
terms like: best, first, fastest, highest, most, etc, etc. Regional,
National, Corporate and individual egos get wrapped up in this
passionate discourses and no one's opinion is ever changed, and no one
winds up satisfied.

I ever am entertained by all the qualifiers and modifiers that folks
wax eloquent with in order to support their position. You start with a
superlative, and then add so many adjectives and adverbs that the
claim really means nothing! (For example, don't try to tell a European
or Brazillian or Australian or Russian that the Wrights were the first
to fly!)

What's wrong with "one of the . . ."

Now to the argument, I spent many hours in the Navy being thrust
through the skies by R3350s and J-79s and feel they are both
remarkable, important engines.

However, I do consider the R2800 the better engine, and certainly more
relable and mechanically elegant. On many levels, when compared to any
other engine in WWII, when all factors are considered: power to
weight, reliability, variety of application, longevity,
maintainability, cost of manufacturing, or any other I can think of,
Pratt & Whitney really hit a home run!

One indicator, was when neophytes would ask what the difference was
between the similar appearing DC-6s (2800) and DC-7s (3350) the
standard reply was the former had four engines with three bladed
propellers, while the latter often was powered by three engines with
four bladed propellers!

Cheers, Bob