Anybody use Airtech Instrument at BFI?

Old February 7th 05, 11:26 PM

Default Anybody use Airtech Instrument at BFI?

I took our sick DG to Airtech Instrument at BFI in Seattle. They can
overhaul ours for around $450, or provide an exchange overhauled unit for
$495, which seems like a reasonable price. (This is an Edo/Mitchell vacuum
DG with heading bug for the AP).

Does anyone have any feedback (good, bad or other) about the work Airtech
does?

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old February 8th 05, 01:01 PM
Denny

I have no opinion about Airtech... I do have opinions (boy, do I) on
rebuilding gyros... Look, if you use a gyro to control flight in IMC,
then your life depends on that gyro... Why anyone would bet their life
on an instrument that has already failed when brand new is only some
15% more is way beyond my reckoning...
For other instrumentation in the airplane, rebuilt is fine and makes
sense and I have a panel full of rebuilts, but for those instruments
where you bet your life brand new is the only way to go...

Denny

Old February 8th 05, 02:25 PM
kage

Often local re-built is better than new, especially gyros. What you don't
want is a gyro that has been shipped around.

Karl

oups.com...

Old February 8th 05, 02:38 PM
Mike Rapoport

The problem with overhauling or rebuilding is that there is a wide range of
services and parts replaced. There was an article in Aviation Consumer
about this recently. If you send your gyro to a premium shop like Duncan or
Mid-Continent, the gyro will be as good as new. If you send it to a shop
that charges less to overhaul than the parts and labor cost to do the job
properly, then you are taking a chance.

Mike
MU-2

oups.com...