canadian flight plan advice for a U.S. pilot

Old October 28th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cirrus

Default canadian flight plan advice for a U.S. pilot

Morning everyone!
I'm wondering if I can pick your brains regarding flight plan filing
for US/Canada flights. I recently made a trip from Boeing Field(KBFI)
up to Victoria BC (CYYJ) to learn about the procedures involved in
flying to Canada and back(I'm a U.S pilot based at KBFI). I took my
instructor along since it was my first time, since he has made the trip
numberous times and had great advice. Soooo... Let's asume you fly IFR-
you call up the FSS, file your U.S. Flight plan and make a great
landing at Victoria. For the return trip later that day, is it required
to file a Canadian Flight plan with their FSS ( I think they call them
FICs up there,not sure)? My instructor had me File the CYYJ to KBFI leg
at the same time I filed my Flight plan to Canada, so that it was
already there waiting for me on Clearance Delivery(I never had to call
the FIC). That seems so much easier- Is it OK to file both flight plans
in the US?
FYI, I'm leaving out the customs notification and procedures, as I take
care of those seperately. Just wondering about the flight plan filing.
Also, I've read the Nav Canada and AOPA websites- they seem to indicate
that you must file the Canada international flight plan for the trip
back. So,Did I get lucky filing a US flight plan for the trip back or
is the FSS just filing ICAO for me and I don't know it? Anyone with
experience in this, please give me your thoughts!
Thanks much!

Jamie

Old October 28th 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I think you got lucky on the return flight. I cant imagine how filing
a plan with US Flight Service worked on the return flight. You can
file in the air for the return flight with Pacific Radio on 126.7
anywhere around the gulf islands/san juans and or course you can call
Canadian flight service on the phone 1-866-WX-BRIEF.

Old October 28th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

It might be a special case with Victoria Approach (they call it
Victoria Terminal). Because they also handle the approach radar
service at Bellingham and "owns" quite a chunk of airspace over the San
Juan Islands, they might have more access to U.S. flight plan system
than other Canadian facilities.

Old October 28th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Cirrus" wrote in message
ups.com...
Morning everyone!
I'm wondering if I can pick your brains regarding flight plan filing

Yes, I regularly file flight plans into and out of British Columbia with
Seattle FSS. It's never been a problem.
Here are some web resources.

US arrival form 178:
https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/...preference=PDF

Phone numbers for US Customs:
http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/GPF/GPFapttc.html

CANPASS:
888 CANPASS

Canada FSS Toll Free Number:
866-WX-BRIEF

The Canadians don't publish this number in phone books anymore, due to
security. Just TRY to find it online in less than 10 minutes.

Best,
Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old October 28th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Cirrus" said:
FICs up there,not sure)? My instructor had me File the CYYJ to KBFI leg
at the same time I filed my Flight plan to Canada, so that it was
already there waiting for me on Clearance Delivery(I never had to call
the FIC). That seems so much easier- Is it OK to file both flight plans
in the US?

What's so hard about filing a Canadian flight plan? Canadian flight
service briefers are, in my experience, friendlier and more helpful than
at least my local FSS. And they'll prompt you line by line for the stuff
in the flight plan if they think you don't know the format.

Personally, I use CoPilot on my Palm Treo. I tap the "Flight Plan" icon,
and select "Canadian" or "US", and there's all the information in the
appropriate format. Really, all you have to know is that /U translates to
SD/C and your ELT is "AF" (Automatic Fixed).

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I would like to shake the hand of the man who first decided that e-mail
Old October 28th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Cirrus wrote:
[...]

IFR flight plans are handled seamlessly across both countries. I don't
know how FSS handles this, but if you use DUATS you will see a note at
the end that says "will be filed with name of ARTCC". If you file
CYYJ to KBFI using duats it will say "will be filed with ZVR" where ZVR
is Vancouver Center. I don't know why AOPA keeps referring to ICAO
flight plans and make it sound like it is a bigger deal than it really
is. I have often used DUATs to file IFR even when departing from
Canada. This way you don't have to worry about the slight differences
in flight plan format.

If you think about, the system has to be seamless because ARTCC sectors
overlap across both countries. Out here, Cleveland Center controls a
large part of southern Ontario, so when someone files a flight plan
from Windor, ON he will be getting his clearance from Cleveland Center
regardless of how he filed the flight plan.

VFR flight plans are entirely different, and are handled seperately.
They are not even seamless within the U.S. You might file your flight
plan with one FSS and if you call the next FSS to open it, they may not
be able to locate it.

Old October 28th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cirrus

Cirrus wrote:
Morning everyone!
I'm wondering if I can pick your brains regarding flight plan filing
for US/Canada flights.

Thanks all of you for your helpful replies. BTW, I'm not implying that
there is anything wrong with our northern neighbor's flight plans
It's just nice to be able to use the system that I'm most familiar
with. More than that, I just want to make sure I'm doing what I'm
supposed to.

Thanks again everyone!

Old October 28th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Key word: IFR flight plan. VFR pilots/flight plans
probably need to file with Canada for the return....

ups.com...

Old October 29th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
The Visitor

It works for me goin South also. A quick turn for customs/fuel and I am
off on my next flightplan filed in Canada.