Flying from Canada into Washington State

Old October 29th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
randall g

Default Flying from Canada into Washington State

I am based in Boundary Bay BC and am thinking of flying south into the
US for the first time. For a flight to BFI what is the best plan? Who do
you talk to and where? What is a good route?

Also I'm interested in Port Townsend. I note it is surrounded by MOA's.
Are these always active? Is there any way to cross them or must you go
around?

I'm aware of the general rules for crossing the border, but I am looking
for some tips from local pilots.

randall g =%^) PPASEL+Night 1974 Cardinal RG
http://www.telemark.net/randallg
Lots of aerial photographs of British Columbia at:
http://www.telemark.net/randallg/photos.htm
Vancouver's famous Kat Kam: http://www.katkam.ca
Old October 29th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"randall g" wrote in message
I am based in Boundary Bay BC and am thinking of flying south into the
US for the first time. For a flight to BFI what is the best plan? Who do
you talk to and where? What is a good route?

Direct would be fine. You'll be calling Whidbey Approach going through
their Class C. If you tell them you're heading to BFI, they may hand you
off for VFR flight following to Seattle Approach once you're clear to the
south of their airspace. If you specifically ask for that, you have a very
good chance of getting it.

Going through the Class C, you'll likely be assigned a minimum altitude, to
keep you clear of the traffic at Whidbey. You can expect to have to stay at
2500-3000' minimum. On the bright side, even at that altitude, you're
afforded a pretty nice view of the Naval Airbase.

You can avoid ATC until Boeing Tower by ducking under or around the Class C
if you like. Good reporting points coming from the north are the Shilshole
Marina or West Point. From there, Boeing Tower will expect you to arrive
over Elliott Bay, flying just west of downtown Seattle. Take careful note
of the overlying Class B airspace...you probably won't have clearance into
the Class B as you approach Boeing Field, and the floor of the Class B is as
low as 1100' at points close to BFI. This is mostly an issue if you get a
downwind approach to land north...landing straight-in to the south, your
approach path will likely keep you under the Class B naturally.

Also I'm interested in Port Townsend. I note it is surrounded by MOA's.
Are these always active? Is there any way to cross them or must you go
around?

The MOAs near Port Townsend aren't much of a problem. Note that MOAs aren't
prohibited or restricted...they are "just" caution areas. You are still
permitted to fly through them.

You should have the Seattle Sectional anyway (hopefully that's available for
sale in Canada...I assume it is, since we have the Canada charts here in the
US), which lists hours of operation and of course the exact vertical
dimensions. Even during the hours of operation, the airspace is often
unused...you can contact Whidbey Approach to get specific details.

That said, the MOAs aren't really much of an issue. Keep alert, don't fly
too low, you should be fine. It's not too hard to get to Port Townsend
without going through the MOAs, but even if you choose to fly through them,
they aren't that busy and if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to
see any traffic that is using them.

If you do land at Port Townsend, please keep in mind the one-way,
counter-clockwise taxi pattern around the grass parking area. It's ignored
by too many pilots, so keep your eye out for them, but please don't make
things worse.

Pete

Old October 29th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
M[_1_]

Peter Duniho wrote:

Direct would be fine. You'll be calling Whidbey Approach going through
their Class C. If you tell them you're heading to BFI, they may hand you
off for VFR flight following to Seattle Approach once you're clear to the
south of their airspace. If you specifically ask for that, you have a very
good chance of getting it.

Between Whidbey Approach and BFI there's a chunk of airspace controlled
by Seattle center (128.5 there), unless taking a very west route. ATC
in the Puget Sound area are all very helpful.

Also I'm interested in Port Townsend. I note it is surrounded by MOA's.
Are these always active? Is there any way to cross them or must you go
around?

I've never seen that MOA active the last few years. That MOA is active
when the Navy pilots are using Coupeville to practice carrier landing
(overfly that airport with Whidbey's permission and see the painted
strip of the simulated carrier deck at the north end of the runway).
Coupeville isn't being actively used these days. Probably due to
budget cuts?

There is an NSA area east of Port Townsend, over an area where large
number of nuclear weapons are alleged to be stored. Avoid that area

Old October 29th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cirrus

randall g wrote:
I am based in Boundary Bay BC and am thinking of flying south into the
US for the first time. For a flight to BFI what is the best plan? Who do
you talk to and where? What is a good route?

Hi Randall,
I'm based at Boeing Field, so I can give you a few tips, for what it's
worth

As mentioned above, make sure you don't flyinto Seatac's Class B
airspace without a clearance. If you haven't flown into Boeing Field
before, one of the first things you notice is that when approaches are
being flown to the south, the heavies going into Seatac are right over
the west side of Boeing Fields pattern. The traffic pattern altitude
for the west side of the field (13R/31L) is 800ft MSL, while on the
east side (13L/31R) it is 1000 MSL. This is because the class B goes
down to 1100 ft on the west side. Let the tower know you are unfamiliar
with the area, and they will helpyou out. If you want to get ATIS
before you leave, you can Dial 206-767-4113 and listen to the recording
on the ground to get an idea of what runway is in use, taxiway
closures, etc.

I'm sure everyone has their prefences about the best altitude or
method for dealing with the Class C at Whidbey. It is easy to overfly
the 4000msl ceiling, but when VFR I usually like to get flight
following in that area because of all the water as a bonus safety
procedure. They can also give you the frequency/hand off to seattle
approach to make getting into KBFI easier if you need extra help. BTW,
you probably know this, but in the U.S. you need a Mode C transpoder
squaking 1200 to enter within 30NM of a class B airport (Seatac)or when
overflying Class C airspace, up to 10000MSL

A common VFR reporting point for coming straight in from the north
"westpoint- hopefully you have the seattle terminal chart. Once you
land, taxi to customs and enjoy Seattle! Feel free to let me know if
you have any specific questions about KBFI. Good luck, should be a
great trip!

Old October 29th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
steve[_1_]

Hi Randall,

You can also fly into Renton, which is a much easier airport to fly into
than Boeing Field, because it is further removed from SeaTac (SEA). You can
request customs at Renton with one hour advance notice, but I would give
them more lead time. The site I found for this is
http://rentonwa.gov/living/default.aspx?id=224

When you fly in, if going VFR, you can pick up the V495 airway from the
Seattle VORTAC on 116.8 and follow it straight in from Victoria. If VFR,
make sure you file a DVFR flight plane (Defense VFR) and make the
appropriate calls 10 minutes before crossing the border. If IFR, I believe
you are covered.

You will be in touch with Whidbey Approach on your way through, ask them if
the Chinook MOA's are cold, so you can fly through them.

Finally, When you hit West Point, you can request a scenic flyby of the
Seattle waterfront at 1,000 feet from Boeing Field Tower, telling them you
are then heading to Renton. They will give you clearance, and watch out for
other aircraft in the area for you. It is a really nice way to end your trip
here.

"Cirrus" wrote in message
ups.com...