Steering on the taxiway

Old November 26th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

Default Steering on the taxiway

"Mxsmanic" wrote

Pilots are taught to use the brakes on take-off? Isn't that unsafe?

That's the way to do it. Question a real pilot's answer! Way to go!

Take a lesson or two, and find out.

Oh, that's right, you don't see the need to fly real planes, if you can sim it,
instead.

Sad.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Cirrus

Mxsmanic wrote:

Mx- I'm trying to find some hope for you, and thought that maybe there
are circumstances that warrent more kindness in replies to you from
people. And, really, if you want to fly and can't, I send you my wishes
that you find your way to meeting whatever goal you are aiming for.
Just tell people. But your previous comment is EXTREMELY insulting:

It's the nature of USENET, and I seem to attract more of the standard
USENET kiddies than most, for some reason. I stopped paying attention
to the children years ago. There are always a few people who want a
serious discussion, if one sifts through the noise.

Children? Noise?- ouch......
You want serious discussion? It's not that you are a sim pilot that
bothers some people- it's your ego. If you were a little more humble,
you' would see that. Since you do seem to know so much, why do you come
here? Discussion is all about different points of view, but you can't
pick and choose answers you like and cast judgement on the ones you
don't. Especially if you aren't a pilot(in this case). Or am I a kiddie
for asking?

Old November 26th 06, 07:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Morgans" wrote in
:

And he does not own me. I have made it a campaign to challenge him
whenever he makes a statement that should not be allowed to pass as
the truth.

Yeah, can fully relate Jim, but do all you can to filter the noise out....

The less response to his I know ludicrous replies is hard, but it's better
to focus your replies on people that really appreciate your knowledge.

Put your well spent energy on people that fully appreciate the time you
take......

Allen
Old November 26th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

John,

Yep, Cirrus pilots know about that.

PA-28 pilots, too. At least the one who burned his PA-28 to the ground
on one of the very long taxiways in Berlin Tempelhof two or so years
ago.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

I seem to attract more of the standard
USENET kiddies than most

That must be it. ROFL.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Doug,

And contrary to how many are being taught, you don't need the
brakes on the beginning of takeoff run to stay aligned with the center
stripe.

Ah, at last. Thanks. I have never understood where that silly notion
came from.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 26th 06, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Cirrus writes:

But your previous comment is EXTREMELY insulting:

It's an accurate description of the people it references (the kiddies
and children), who unfortunately are very common on USENET. Someone
who counts himself among the kiddies and children might feel insulted,
particularly since people in these categories tend to take everything
as an insult. There's nothing I can do about that.

Children? Noise?- ouch......

Why ouch?

You want serious discussion?

Always.

It's not that you are a sim pilot that bothers some people- it's
your ego. If you were a little more humble, you' would see that.

If people are bothered by me, they should avoid me. Such people
aren't likely to be willing or able to participate in a normal
discussion, so interaction with them is usually a waste of time.

Since you do seem to know so much, why do you come here?

If I knew so much, I would not ask questions.

However, I long ago learned--the hard way--that most people are
blowing smoke when they answer questions. I don't take answers at
face value unless I know from long personal interaction with a person
that he has an excellent track record for giving reliable answers.
Few people are in that category. On USENET, almost everyone is
posturing, so all responses must be taken with a large grain of salt.

A good way to explore the validity of an answer is to question it.
Most people giving good answers can effortlessly support them and can
easily explain why they have chosen those answers; not only does this
make the answer much safer to accept, but it can also provide a lot of
interesting additional information. People blowing smoke simply
become emotional and resort to personal attacks, and I promptly write
off anything they've said.

Discussion is all about different points of view, but you can't
pick and choose answers you like and cast judgement on the ones you
don't.

Why not? I like answers that are supported by sound reasoning based
on acceptable premises. I ignore answers that amount to unsupported
assertions. Credentials are not a factor, in part because (1)
credentials are not reliable, and (2) everyone on USENET is a
self-appointed world expert in everything.

Especially if you aren't a pilot(in this case).

Being a pilot isn't a guarantee of anything, unfortunately, except
that one holds a pilot's license. As a group, pilots are likely to
know more about aviation than non-pilots, but this general observation
is useless for predicting the reliability of individuals who call
themselves pilots. I've encountered too many pilots who blithely
contradict extremely reliable sources of aviation information. I
don't call pilots on their mistakes, as a general rule, in order to
avoid embarrassment; but I do silently write them off.

What I find revealing is how often "pilots" cannot even agree among
themselves. If they knew as much as they believe themselves to know,
they would not provide wildly varying answers to so many of the same
questions. I try to extract a majority opinion from the serious
answers I receive, and I compare this with whatever other sources I
can locate for answers to the same questions. If all goes well, I
eventually learn something useful.

Old November 26th 06, 11:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Peter Dohm

Just a single throttle. The occasions where I might need separate
throttle controls are so rare that they don't justify the expense of a
full dual set of throttles.

Perhaps, since you are not really using it as a simulation in preparation
for a flight. OTOH, you found one.

For things like single-engine failures, I
pause the sim to reset throttles or feather props or whatever.

Thus simulating nothing.

Old November 26th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , Greg Farris
wrote:

You can get questions from a different reasonable reader. Not this guy, if

you
want this group to remain healthy. He is a troll, plain and simple. Go
over

the sim group, and ask about him. They ran him off, over there.

How did they get rid of him?
Can they give us some instruction?

How did we get rid of the fish that shall not be named?

What happened to the long island looney bird?

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the