GA Callsigns

Old March 17th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_5_]

Default GA Callsigns

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
news
From the Air Traffic Control Handbook:

"2-4-20. AIRCRAFT IDENTIFICATION

Use the full identification in reply to aircraft with similar sounding
identifications. For other aircraft, the same identification may be used
in reply that the pilot used in his/her initial callup except use the
correct identification after communications have been established.
Identify aircraft as follows:

a. U.S. registry aircraft. State one of the following:

1. Civil. State the prefix "November" when establishing initial
communications with U.S. registered aircraft followed by the ICAO phonetic
pronunciation of the numbers/letters of the aircraft registration. The
controller may state the aircraft type, the model, the manufacturer's
name, followed by the ICAO phonetic pronunciation of the numbers/letters
of the aircraft registration if used by the pilot on the initial or
subsequent call."

From AIM 4-2-4(a)(3): "When the aircraft manufacturer's made or model is
stated, the prefix 'N' is dropped."

Take your choice. I personally never use November in communicating with
ATC.

Bob, thanks for the quotes. I had figured it was a gray area. I didn't
realize the ATC Handbook specifically states that "November" is to be used
on initial call-up--that's good to know. I thought it was as others have
guessed which is that the controllers have simply forgotten the type or use
"November" in the interest of simplicity.

I actually do use "Cherokee" even though the controller refers to me as
"November" but it just stikes me as odd or even wrong that in the same
conversation we are using two different ways of referring to the same thing.

Marco

Old March 17th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Marco Leon" wrote in message

Even if you refer to them as "November xxxxx?" Or do you always try and
call them by their aircraft type?

If I know their type I call them by their type. I use November only when I
don't know their type.

Old March 17th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"john smith" wrote in message

You say EXPERIMENTAL.

Why?

Old March 17th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

According to the FAA registration database N56993 is assigned to a PA-28-235
manufactured in 1973. That would make it a Cherokee Charger, the PA-28-235
would be renamed Cherokee Pathfinder in 1974. The Dakota came along in 1979
as the PA-28-236 with the tapered wing.

To be exceedingly pedantic, N56993 was built and late '73 and belongs to
the '74 model year (check the serial number). Piper assigned name
designations and features by year model, and the '74 model year was the
Pathfinder. The FAA groups aircraft by year of manufacture, while most
factories grouped them by model year.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 20th 08, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 15, 6:07*pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
"William Hung" wrote in message

I'm interpretting the above as "it is OK to call on the radio to get
permission to enter airspace."

I think you should alter your interpretation. *When a radio call is all that
is needed for permission to enter airspace the regulations state something
like, "Each person must establish two-way radio communications with the ATC
facility (including foreign ATC in the case of foreign airspace designated
in the United States) providing air traffic services prior to entering that
airspace and thereafter maintain those communications while within that
airspace."

Now, how would I ID myself? *Would what I've stated above suffice?

As I said previously, just ask ATC when you call for PRIOR authorization.

Thanks Steve, I'll ask ATC next time I'm out at the airport.

Wil
Old March 21st 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

Speaking of myths that should be busted, a lot of folks believe that
Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft are supposed to use "Experimental" as a call
sign.....

Only need to say that word once.