The Joy Of Usenet: A message from 'Anonymous'

Old April 4th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

Default The Joy Of Usenet: A message from 'Anonymous'

On Apr 3, 9:45*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 04:11:19 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote:

Here's a message posted to my blog from the brave Mr "Anonymous": ...

[Off-topic junk snipped]

Who cares?

* * The charter of rec.aviation.piloting is:

* * * * Information pertinent to pilots of general aviation aircraft
* * * * which would not fall into one of the other non-misc
* * * * rec.aviation groups. *Topics include, but are not limited to
* * * * flying skills, interesting sights, destinations, flight
* * * * characteristics of aircraft, unusual situations, handling
* * * * emergencies, working with air traffic control, international
* * * * flights, customs and immigration, experiences with
* * * * ground support facilities, etc.

Before posting articles to Usenet, please read the Usenet guidelines:
* *http://www.faqs.org/usenet/
* *http://users.rcn.com/kateshort/nnq/nnqlinks.html

Oh I get it. So it is OK when you post Off Topic but not anyone else.
So much for integrity.

Wil
Old April 4th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

That's our Larry alright. Isn't he special?

Old April 4th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 4, 6:00 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:

No, they don't scare me.
I'd just rather not have to explain why their brain matter is splattered
all over the wall of my foyer.

Good point!

Though in the area I live in, the law favors the defender, not the
perps.

Dan Mc

Old April 5th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Larry Dighera wrote in
news
On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:20:02 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio

From: Larry Dighera

It says that we possess the courage and integrity to expose our true
selves to the slings and arrows of life, rather than cower in the
shadows in fear,

Anyone who stands in the open when the arrows are flying in their
direction, isn't brave. They're stupid.

In the case of real arrows, that may be true. In the case of Usenet,
it's absurd and reveals a certain paranoia.

or mask our identity from recognition to escape
responsibility for their behavior like a bandit.

Or a sniper?

Indeed. A snipper is one who must conceal himself in order to escape
responsibility for his actions.

No, a snipper is someone who selectively snips froups.

Like you do.

Bertie

Old April 5th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 4, 7:10 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:

Are you married?
Do you have children?

I do, but all are quite competent with shotgun, rifle, and handgun.

My 17 year old son would simply tear the eyeballs out of the punk with
his bare hands.

If I were some nutcase who decided you needed to be "taught a lesson"
because I was offended by what you wrote (which I'm not, BTW), how
would you feel about having me visit your house?
How about if you weren't home, but the wife and kids were?

See above. No worries.

And specific to this group:
I could probably come up with a hundred things I could do to your plane
that would go undetected at preflight, but make the thing somewhat less
that airworthy. (and again, I never would).
Do the wife and/or kids fly with you?

Gates, Hangar locks, lots of airport friends, and security patrols
help.

While anonymity can be beneficial, if you never **** anyone off in
life you're probably not doing enough.

I've had idiot threats before -- threats are empty. If they were as
tough/scary/vile as they want to seem they'd come on down.

Ain't gonna happen.

Dan Mc

Old April 5th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

wrote in message
On Apr 4, 7:10 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:

While anonymity can be beneficial, if you never **** anyone off in
life you're probably not doing enough.

You're kidding right?

Old April 5th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-04-04, Nomen Nescio wrote:
No, it says that the poster has enough honor and integrity to stand behind
his words.

I've got no problem standing behind my words. That's why I sign my
posts.

Not with your name, you don't. That's not standing behind them.

My rationale:
If you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to protect.
If you've got nothing to protect, you've got nothing.

I've got plenty to protect...and I'm capable of doing so, without resorting
to cowering in the shadows.

Are you married?
Do you have children?

No and no.

If I were some nutcase who decided you needed to be "taught a lesson"
because I was offended by what you wrote (which I'm not, BTW), how
would you feel about having me visit your house?

To borrow a line: "Bring it on."

How about if you weren't home, but the wife and kids were?

My roomomate is as capable of protecting himself as I am. If neither of us
is home, then I'm not worried at all.

And specific to this group:
I could probably come up with a hundred things I could do to your plane
that would go undetected at preflight, but make the thing somewhat less
that airworthy. (and again, I never would).

You'll run this risk whether or not you stand behind your words. Let's say
you **** off someone in traffic, and he follows you to the airport...

That being said, I don't think too highly of the anonymous sniping that some
people engage in (as in changing Usenet identities to conceal the fact that
different posts are from the same individual)

Anonymity merely encourages that. If you're not standing behind your words,
there's no need to keep them civil.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old April 5th 08, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:QYyJj.44358$QC.1365
@newsfe20.lga:

wrote in message
On Apr 4, 7:10 pm, Nomen Nescio wrote:

While anonymity can be beneficial, if you never **** anyone off in
life you're probably not doing enough.

You're kidding right?

Sez RAP's prime ****off underachiever. Still, keep trying!

Bertie
Old April 5th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 4, 7:37 pm, "Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote:

You're kidding right?

Nope.

Go figure it out.

Old April 5th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

My 17 year old son would simply tear the eyeballs out of the punk with
his bare hands.

How often are you allowed to visit him?