$6.61 at MDW eeeek!

Old May 28th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default $6.61 at MDW eeeek!

On May 22, 10:16 pm, skym wrote:
I got this quote the other day for 100LL, and was advised it's going
up!

The CTA rail fare is only $2, $1.75 with transit card.

JG
Old May 29th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

3) When people react somewhat mindlessly (ahem, what did that fillup cost
you before, $250?), they pull back on usages.

A year ago, I paid something around $160 to fill up. Now it's $300. That's
a huge change.

Anyone on the razor's edge of affording to fly is NOT going to be able to
absorb that magnitude of an increase. Which is why flying is way, way
down.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 29th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Thu, 29 May 2008 04:53:44 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:

3) When people react somewhat mindlessly (ahem, what did that fillup cost
you before, $250?), they pull back on usages.

A year ago, I paid something around $160 to fill up. Now it's $300. That's
a huge change.

Well, you snipped most of the important part of my post.

Unanticipated gas increases?

What I don't get, and I see this all the time, is ownership costs viewed
in extremely unrealistic terms. As if everything was fixed on a per unit
basis (gas) or per item basis. No contingencies for unexpected expenses
or monthly escrows for that inevitable annual or rebuild or new reg that
will force new instrumentation.

Anyone on the razor's edge of affording to fly is NOT going to be able to
absorb that magnitude of an increase. Which is why flying is way, way
down.

If you are on the razor's edge, either decrease your expectations
*significantly* or stay on the ground. You will end up their anyway as
that razor's edge, I will guarantee, will slice you when you figured it
(inevitably) wrong.