What about THIS for a GPS?

Old July 21st 03, 02:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Default What about THIS for a GPS?

Would it be possible to use something like this:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P29521555 (This is a link to a thin LCD screen
for sale on Ebay)

....hooked up to a GPS receiver? Is there a way to output a GPS moving map
to something like this?

The price is certainly attractive... And -- if it were possible -- you sure
couldn't beat the size of the moving map!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 21st 03, 02:49 AM
BTIZ

Jay.. that might work... but if it is just a TV screen... you need the CPU
behind it to run the moving map and receive/process the GPS inputs.

Glider pilots use PDAs (iPaq) and WinPilot for moving map with GPS input
from a data logger or other GPS receiver, The WinPilot and other similar
software provides moving map, glide calculations, and thermal marking, also
can determine winds aloft from thermal drift.

BT

Old July 21st 03, 02:59 AM
Steve

...hooked up to a GPS receiver? Is there a way to output a GPS moving
map
to something like this?

No. There is not an aviation handheld GPS out there which will directly
drive a screen like this. You would need another computer to interpret the
raw data from the GPS and then draw the map on this LCD screen. There is
stuff out there like for IPAQ palm computers and such.

The price is certainly attractive... And -- if it were possible -- you

sure
couldn't beat the size of the moving map!

You might as well go get a used cheap laptop computer and display your
moving map there. But you'll have cables everywhere and the laptop screen
isn't readable in the sunlight. Just use the map on your GPS.

Old July 21st 03, 03:09 AM
John Harlow

Would it be possible to use something like this:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P29521555 (This is a link to a thin LCD

screen
for sale on Ebay)

...hooked up to a GPS receiver? Is there a way to output a GPS moving

map
to something like this?

The price is certainly attractive... And -- if it were possible -- you

sure
couldn't beat the size of the moving map!

I doubt the resolution is good enough to read waypoints and such. And I
also doubt it's readable in direct sunlight. But shoot - at that price it's
cheap enough to fiddle with - and if it didn't work, put it in the car for a
monitor for the kids to use.

They're available from
http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...nics/Mobile_Vi
deo/LCD_Monitors/In-Dash_Monitors for the same price too, and they have
other smaller cheaper ones.

Old July 21st 03, 03:34 AM
John Harlow

I doubt the resolution is good enough to read waypoints and such. And I
also doubt it's readable in direct sunlight. But shoot - at that price

it's
cheap enough to fiddle with - and if it didn't work, put it in the car for

monitor for the kids to use.

They're available from

http://www.etronics.com/listproducts...nics/Mobile_Vi
deo/LCD_Monitors/In-Dash_Monitors for the same price too, and they have
other smaller cheaper ones.

And, as others have said, you'd need a kludge of hardware from a laptop,
GPS, PC to TV converter etc. It'd be a mess.

Old July 21st 03, 08:36 AM
Nosegear

You'd still need some processor to interpret the GPS data, superimpose it
on a map and display it on this screen. An enormous hassle to get it done .
..
If, however, you are the proud owner of a PocketPC device (like an iPAQ or
so) with a GPS receiver, I can very much reccomend you take a look at
www.pocketfms.com. This will offer you a complete FMS with moving map for a
ridiculously low price . .

I've been using PocketFMS for about 9 months now; I'm still impressed every
time I go up there. All of a sudden you get time to look out the windows
and enjoy the scenery instead of anxiously trying to keep time and track on
a map.

Nosegear
(No, I'm not the author of PocketFMS, but yes, I'm very enthousiastic about
it!)

"Jay Honeck" wrote in