A question from a lurker

Old April 1st 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Richard

Default A question from a lurker

I am not a pilot but have the greatest respect for those you are.

Most here wish to share their pleasure with non-pilots and I thank you for
your posts. But some wish to maintain an elitist group. Perhaps that elitist
behaviour reduces the support you may have from non-pilot members of the
community when facing the current FAA proposals.

The pilots I have met in New Zealand are respectful and always willing to
answer even stupid questions.

I was introduced to flight sim in 1998 by an airline pilot who had an
elaborate setup that he said improved his skills. I lost interest after a
year or so but he maintains an expensive, powerful system. Flight Sim is not
an evil threat to real aviation and may promote an empathy for real aviation
issues.

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but the
elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other non-fliers
lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the Mxsmaniac
treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

Richard

Old April 1st 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Richard wrote:

[...]

Most of the pilots here don't deride Mx because
he isn't, they deride him because he behaves like
a horse's ass. Pilot after pilot has offered him
sensible advice and he has turned it around into
a continual debate about things he knows nothing
or little about. He argues with the logic of a
6 year old and has about as much sense.

There's an art to asking questions. I've asked
several over at pprune, a forum for professional
airline pilots, and I've always got respectful
and informative answers. When Mx learns to ask
and followup the the same way, perhaps the people
here would be willing to answer his questions
seriously.

Another thing that grates on real pilots is that
Mx gives advise regarding flying real planes. He
has no experience, training or qualifications to
do that. It's the opinion of some of the pilots
here that this is a dangerous practice.

Old April 1st 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 31, 8:58 pm, "Richard" wrote:

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

I don't know what large aircraft do, but I keep my Cherokee nosewheel
glued to the yellow line (unless something is in the way, like a
snowbank, etc.)

(P.S. taxiway centerline is yellow)

Old April 1st 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Richard" wrote:

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but the
elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other non-fliers
lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the Mxsmaniac
treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

Mxmaniac is derided because he is an ignorant blowhard, not because he is a
non-pilot. Non-pilots with sincere questions or input are welcome here.

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

The taxiway center lines are yellow. Pilots follow them except when
obstructions, traffic or the aircraft they are operating require otherwise.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old April 1st 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , "Richard"
wrote:

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

I follow the yellow taxiway centerline, unless doing shallow S-turns to
check the gyros and compass.

--
Bob Noel
(gave up looking for a particular sig the lawyer will hate)

Old April 1st 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/31/2007 8:58:42 PM, "Richard" wrote:

I am often interested in the answers to the questions of Mxsmaniac but the
elitists here would rather deride. There are probably other non-fliers
lurking who are too scared to ask for fear of getting the Mxsmaniac
treatment. Yes, I know he has offended some.

You really need the full picture to make a more informed judgment. Using
Google groups, search for his moniker in just this newsgroup over the last
year and a half, which will bring you to his beginning here. Sort by date and
read a few months' worth of threads. You will soon see why so many have
abandoned him, and it has nothing to do the fact that he is a non-pilot
looking to have a few aviation questions answered.

--
Peter
Old April 1st 07, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
K Baum

On Mar 31, 5:58 pm, "Richard" wrote:

Most here wish to share their pleasure with non-pilots and I thank you for
your posts. But some wish to maintain an elitist group. Perhaps that elitist
behaviour reduces the support you may have from non-pilot members of the
community when facing the current FAA proposals.

Richard, I myself have lurked on this list on and off for years, and
it is your post that has compelled me to finally open an account and
post something.I am an experienced pilot and I found this site off of
a link from the homebuilt group.I have read posts on other usnet
groups pertaining to other pursiuts, and most all of them are very
civil and respectfull of one another.Then when I go to some of the
piloting related sites like this one, It is like the Jerry Springer
show.This is why I dont come here often. This group tends to bring out
the worst in people. It seems many people only post here to try to
show everyone how much they know. I have seen threads that run forever
with out logical answers, I have seen private pilots berate airline
guys, and there is a few imposters here as well. Part of the problem
is that aviation draws the type A or obsesive personality types. This
will make a guy a good pilot, but it can also make him an asshole. You
will see alot of this here.

The pilots I have met in New Zealand are respectful and always willing to
answer even stupid questions.

Not always so here in the states.I fly a small sportplane outside of
my job, and I sometimes have to laugh at the way I am treated by these
big Cessna and piper types. Many people are very respectful though,
and I have alot of respect for those who fly strictly for fun.

I was introduced to flight sim in 1998 by an airline pilot who had an
elaborate setup that he said improved his skills. I lost interest after a
year or so but he maintains an expensive, powerful system. Flight Sim is not
an evil threat to real aviation and may promote an empathy for real aviation
issues.

Good for you. I horse around with PC sims myself and they can be a
valuble tool.

Do pilots follow the white lines on taxi-ways or swing wide as truck/trailer
drivers must do? Are they just a night aid?

To finally answer your question, They are used all the time (Day and
night). During SMGS operations (below 1200 RVR), some are marked with
with a "Judgemental oversteer" for the larger airplanes. All airport
markings are painted with reflective paint that has little chunks of
glass mixed in for reflectivity.

Richard

Feel free to talk to your airline buddy if you have any further
questions because you probably wont get much help here. I will go back
to lurking. Good luck.

Old April 1st 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

[...]

I am glad you started your post with "I have the greatest respect for
pilots". That is exactly the right thing to say if you want help from
us. This is where Mxsmaniac failed. He never told us that we were
special people.

You are absolutely correct in your observation. Many pilots have
enlarged egos, and feel threatened when a nonpilot challenges their
aviation knowledge.

But please do not assume that all pilots are that way. There are some
of us who are more threatened by these people than by Mxsmaniac. But
we are not interested in taking a political stand, so we take the easy
way and give in to the bullies' demands. This is the reason Mxsmaniac
has not received many responses. The bullies have won. The sad part is
that people like yourself are going to assume that all pilots are
egoistic bullies.

Old April 1st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

You really need the full picture to make a more informed judgment. Using
Google groups, search for his moniker in just this newsgroup over the last
year and a half, which will bring you to his beginning here.

actually, the troll began infesting rec.aviation back in 2001 or 2002.

Old April 1st 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Stewart writes:

[...]

Your reply talks only about Mxsmanic, but you never answered the question
about centerlines. I think that says a lot.