Beech Staggerwing

Old March 22nd 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

Default Beech Staggerwing

Beech Staggerwing. Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have doors
on bothsides of the cabin?

Wil
Old March 22nd 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Mar 22, 11:31*am, William Hung wrote:
Beech Staggerwing. *Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have doors
on bothsides of the cabin?

Wil

Oh Yeah, one more question. Anyone selling kit copies/replicas?

Wil
Old March 22nd 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Philippe Vessaire

http://www.griffon-aerospace.com/lionheart.html

--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
Philippe Vessaire Ò¿Ó¬
Old March 22nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
John Godwin

William Hung wrote in

m:

Beech Staggerwing. Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have
doors on bothsides of the cabin?

IIRC, there is only one door in the rear on the port side.

Old March 22nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ed Sullivan

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:06:49 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

William Hung wrote in news:bba1909c-a841-48a4-9a8e-
:

On Mar 22, 11:31*am, William Hung wrote:
Beech Staggerwing. *Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have

doors
on bothsides of the cabin?

Wil

Oh Yeah, one more question. Anyone selling kit copies/replicas?

There's a guy selling plans for the A/R airplanes (fixed gear) but
nobody's building one AFAIK. It looks like a pipedream, really. It;'s
the kind of deal that makes getting an airplane built for you a really
bad idea, I think.
The staggerwing is a really complicated airplane. The fuselage is a
seriously complex structure, for instance, as are the wings. and it
would probably cost you a lot more to build one than buy one from
scratch.

Berti

We had one naked, a bank repo hanging in our EAA hangar for about a
year. The fuselage didn't look that complex, but the wings had about a
million ribs. I imagine the headaches would be in the details and
systems.

Ed Sullivan
Old March 23rd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John[_1_]

On Mar 22, 2:08*pm, Philippe Vessaire wrote:
William Hung wrote:
Beech Staggerwing. *Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have
doors on bothsides of the cabin?

Oh Yeah, one more question. *Anyone selling kit copies/replicas?

http://www.griffon-aerospace.com/lionheart.html

--
Volem rien foutre al païs!
* * Philippe Vessaire *Ò¿Ó¬

Sadly, the Lionnheart is no more. I was really excited about this
aircraft when it was announced. But there was one, possibly two
crashes of the only half-dozen planes flying. In one case I recall,
one of the airplanes was lost during landing on its first flight.
Apparently there were some side loads on the main gear that caused it
to fail and the plane slid down the runway, and caught fire. The
pilot got out (though his spouse was reportedly there and made
him. .. . on the spot . . promise no more ideas like that). I
remember some discussion of potential weakness in the gear and why the
pilot elected to make the first flight with full tanks. Reportedly,
the composite airframe burned to the ground leaving ash, some debris
and a radial engine.

Kitplanes did a pilot report on it and I recall some comments about
yaw and some difficulty seeing around the nose during ground ops..
BUT, we are talking about a prototype and I suspect that some clever
work could have addressed both issues at least to some degree.
Barring those kinds of things, it was one of the most beautiful
airplanes ever . .. I would have loved to had debugged one.

Take care . . .

John
Old March 23rd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

wrote:

William Hung wrote in news:bba1909c-a841-48a4-9a8e-
:

On Mar 22, 11:31*am, William Hung wrote:
Beech Staggerwing. *Hard to tell from the pictures, do they have

doors
on bothsides of the cabin?

Wil

Oh Yeah, one more question. Anyone selling kit copies/replicas?

There's a guy selling plans for the A/R airplanes (fixed gear) but
nobody's building one AFAIK. It looks like a pipedream, really. It;'s
the kind of deal that makes getting an airplane built for you a really
bad idea, I think.
The staggerwing is a really complicated airplane. The fuselage is a
seriously complex structure, for instance, as are the wings. and it
would probably cost you a lot more to build one than buy one from
scratch.

There's one locally, scratch built, developed his own plans by taking
measurements and photos. Took over 30 years to build. I have some
photos of it some where. IF I can find them I'll put a couple up on
my web site. I had it on our chapter news letter some years back.

Beautiful bright yellow airplane.

Bertie

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old March 23rd 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Kimmel

http://www.ultralightnews.com/plansb.../beach-boy.jpg

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.