Storm damage

Old April 5th 08, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Storm damage

Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/
Old April 5th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

wrote in message
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

Man that is a sad site!

Old April 5th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Apr 5, 8:20*am, " wrote:
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

That cute little Tomahawk managed to escape without a single scratch!

Wil
Old April 5th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

"William Hung" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 8:20 am, " wrote:
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

That cute little Tomahawk managed to escape without a single scratch!

Wil

You don't get much warning of a tornado. Even if there is a warning, smart
people are more worried about taking cover (and making sure loved ones take
cover) than worrying about aircraft. Besides, even if there was time to do
something with the aircraft, what could be done? Hangars at most airports
are full, so all you can do is secure the tie-down ropes and hope for the
best. In a tornado or any winds above a certain amount, light aircraft are
going to take a beating, regardless of how well they are tied down.

Old April 6th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Apr 5, 8:20 am, " wrote:

Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? *Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

That cute little Tomahawk managed to escape without a single scratch!

Wil

You don't get much warning of a tornado. *Even if there is a warning, smart
people are more worried about taking cover (and making sure loved ones take
cover) than worrying about aircraft. *Besides, even if there was time to do
something with the aircraft, what could be done? *Hangars at most airports
are full, so all you can do is secure the tie-down ropes and hope for the
best. *In a tornado or any winds above a certain amount, light aircraft are
going to take a beating, regardless of how well they are tied down.

The Gooney bird sittin on the cherokee is a real heartbreak. My first
plane was a Warrior and it would kill me to come to the airport and
see it in that condition.... Mother nature is still king of the
hill. !!!

Ben
N801BH
www.haaspowerair.com
Old April 6th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:37:15 -0700 (PDT), William Hung
wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:20*am, " wrote:
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

Ever been in the air when there are tornado warnings out? I have. We
(my wife and I) made about 200 miles with well over a 100 plus knot
tail wind at 500 feet. Ceiling was 1500 and visibility was listed as
5 although we found it better than that most of the time. Ground speed
was well over 250 knots at 500 feet with an IAS of 140 to 150 MPH. You
watch the ceiling and ground closely for any indication of rotation or
debris. You can get a sore neck in a hurry.
"What a ride" and the Deb handles the turbulence fairly well. Much
better than a 150, 172, Cherokee, or Tomahawk.

If the warnings come out, heading to the airport is about the last
place I'd go unless the hangar has a really nice basement.

That cute little Tomahawk managed to escape without a single scratch!

Wil

Roger (K8RI) ARRL Life Member
N833R (World's oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old April 7th 08, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:20*am, " wrote:
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? *Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

Ever been in the air when there are tornado warnings out? *I have. *We
(my wife and I) made about 200 miles with well over a 100 plus knot
tail wind at 500 feet. *Ceiling was 1500 and visibility was listed as
5 although we found it better than that most of the time. Ground speed
was well over 250 knots at 500 feet with an IAS of 140 to 150 MPH. You
watch the ceiling and ground closely for any indication of rotation or
debris. *You can get a sore neck in a hurry.
"What a ride" and the Deb handles the turbulence fairly well. Much
better than a 150, 172, Cherokee, or Tomahawk.

What's Va in a deb?

Cheers
Old April 7th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

William Hung wrote:
On Apr 5, 8:20 am, " wrote:
Sad to see this stuff...... Poor planes !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1715492...7594583138254/

You can say that again. Didn't anyone know this was coming? Why
didn't they relocate these planes?

That cute little Tomahawk managed to escape without a single scratch!

Wil

It isn't like a Hurricane. Tornado happen very quickly and can happen in
just about any Thunder Storm.

In this case the staff National Weather office, which is located on the
same field, had to hide in the basement.
Old April 8th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

wrote:
You
watch the ceiling and ground closely for any indication of rotation or
debris. You can get a sore neck in a hurry.

Unless it happens to be right out the windshield. This was taken in a
Cherokee over Eastern NM at ~10K ft.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...NM_Tornado.jpg

Many years ago I was landing in Burlington, KS because everything ahead was
a solid wall of black. I was talking with FSS when they asked me if I could
see a tornado that had been reported 25 miles ahead. Sure enough, I found it
right away when I knew where to look. Got the plane put away in a hangar
(no one ties down outside in tornado alley) and took the courtesy car into
town. I got there just in time to spend the next several hours in an
underground shelter (met a lot of nice folks!). After it was over, six
twisters had touched down all around town, but fortunately had missed the
local buildings, the airport, and the giant nuke plant outside of town.

Just goes to show that a twister can pop out of what looks like just bad
flying weather.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

FOund in other group. Oklahoma Ice Storm - Oklahoma Ice Storm.jpg gt[_3_] Aviation Photos 4 February 25th 08 03:22 AM
Ice Storm pix Jay Honeck Piloting 30 December 21st 07 01:44 PM
Ice storm! Jay Honeck Piloting 82 February 28th 07 01:13 PM
OSH storm pix Jay Honeck Piloting 19 August 26th 06 06:34 AM
Storm Damage john smith Piloting 0 June 23rd 06 10:05 PM