F15E/1941

Old May 31st 04, 12:32 AM
Bob Urz

Default F15E/1941

I know similar scenarios were made into a movie.
But, if on Dec 1941 you had two strike eagles.
Only two. Your sortie arrived at the Japanese fleet
about the time 1/2 of the first wave was launched.

Question 1#
given the choice of any weaponry available for the F15,
(even some that may not be normally used)
what would your weapon load be? This is using all available hard points
and taking fuel out of the equation.

Question #2
Given the choice of weapons above, what would your tactics be to
maximize damage to the carrier fleet and prevent as many planes
as possible from reaching Pearl. (while saving your own butt)

Now there would have to be a balance between destroying the carriers
from future use and destroying the attacking planes that have already
left the carrier. Have it it. Hang as much on the plane as you can.
But when your out of munitions, what other tactics could you use?

Bob

Old May 31st 04, 01:00 AM
JDupre5762

But, if on Dec 1941 you had two strike eagles.
Only two. Your sortie arrived at the Japanese fleet
about the time 1/2 of the first wave was launched.

what would your weapon load be?

Not really sure what the weapons load out of an F-15E can be but I would load
enough air to surface missiles to put two killing shots into every carrier from
a distance that leaves me invulnerable to AAA return fire. If I can still carry
air to air missiles then as many of them as possible.

Given the choice of weapons above, what would your tactics be to
maximize damage to the carrier fleet and prevent as many planes
as possible from reaching Pearl.

I would kill every carrier before they can finish launching the first wave
strikes. Then I would go warp 9 till I caught the strike group and start
killing the leaders with Sparrows or Sidewinders. (Assuming the Sidewinder can
pick up a heat signature from an early 20th century recip aircraft.) Then use
my Vulcan 20mm using as short a burst as possible in order to kill as many of
the survivors as possible.

But when your out of munitions, what other tactics could you use?

High speed passes with pull ups in full burner that will swat the Japanese
aircraft out of the air. The Isralis used this tactic against helicopters in
1973.

At the same time I am screaming as loudly as possible to the Army and Navy
commands on Oahu that the Japanese are coming.

John Dupre'

Old May 31st 04, 01:04 AM
John Mullen

"JDupre5762" wrote in message

(snip)

At the same time I am screaming as loudly as possible to the Army and Navy
commands on Oahu that the Japanese are coming.

Didn't they know that anyway, but could not be bothered getting out of bed?

It was a Sunday after all!

John

Old May 31st 04, 01:31 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I know similar scenarios were made into a movie.
But, if on Dec 1941 you had two strike eagles.
Only two. Your sortie arrived at the Japanese fleet
about the time 1/2 of the first wave was launched.

Question 1#
given the choice of any weaponry available for the F15,
(even some that may not be normally used)
what would your weapon load be? This is using all available hard points
and taking fuel out of the equation.

Mk/B61 Nuclear weapons

Question #2
Given the choice of weapons above, what would your tactics be to
maximize damage to the carrier fleet and prevent as many planes
as possible from reaching Pearl. (while saving your own butt)

Throw em a coupla buckets o instant sunshine

Keith

Old May 31st 04, 01:37 AM
Scott Ferrin

On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:31:01 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I know similar scenarios were made into a movie.
But, if on Dec 1941 you had two strike eagles.
Only two. Your sortie arrived at the Japanese fleet
about the time 1/2 of the first wave was launched.

Question 1#
given the choice of any weaponry available for the F15,
(even some that may not be normally used)
what would your weapon load be? This is using all available hard points
and taking fuel out of the equation.

Mk/B61 Nuclear weapons

Question #2
Given the choice of weapons above, what would your tactics be to
maximize damage to the carrier fleet and prevent as many planes
as possible from reaching Pearl. (while saving your own butt)

Throw em a coupla buckets o instant sunshine

Keith

You know it. You could carry five at the *least*. Come to think of
it you could probably put a B83 (more bang) on the centerline, one on
each CFT and one under each wing. Five 1-2 MT bombs (ten I guess if
you're using two Eagles) ought to do the trick :-)
Old May 31st 04, 02:36 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
[...]

I carry 4x cluster bombs per aircraft (just in case I miss with one or two),
and all the sidewinders and 20mm the F-15 will haul. I'm hitting the
carriers with cluster bombs, which ought to do a number on any aircraft and
people on deck. The secondaries from the Japanese munitions will finish the
job on the carriers. Once the carriers are lit up like the 4th of July, I
take out bombers and torpedo planes until I exhaust my supply of
sidewinders. Following that, I go plinking with 20 mm. I don't waste my
time shooting up Zero's unless there is nothing else to shoot at.

KB

Old May 31st 04, 03:14 AM
Pete

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
I know similar scenarios were made into a movie.
But, if on Dec 1941 you had two strike eagles.
Only two. Your sortie arrived at the Japanese fleet
about the time 1/2 of the first wave was launched.

Question 1#
given the choice of any weaponry available for the F15,
(even some that may not be normally used)
what would your weapon load be? This is using all available hard points
and taking fuel out of the equation.

B61's, and as many AIM-9/AIM-120's we could carry.

Question #2
Given the choice of weapons above, what would your tactics be to
maximize damage to the carrier fleet and prevent as many planes
as possible from reaching Pearl. (while saving your own butt)

Vaporize the carriers, then chase down and destroy as many of the already
launched planes as we have missiles/20MM for.

Now there would have to be a balance between destroying the carriers
from future use and destroying the attacking planes that have already
left the carrier. Have it it. Hang as much on the plane as you can.
But when your out of munitions, what other tactics could you use?

Full AB to Pearl, land, taxi to the HQ building. A couple of full AB runups
should get the duty officers attention.

Pete

Old May 31st 04, 03:41 AM
Bob Urz

Pete wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

[...]

Although i agree the nukes are a "finisher", i was thinking more along
the lines of conventional weapons to make it more interesting.
Would a agm-65 be usable in this situation? laser guided bombs
certainly would.
Someone suggested a cluster bomb, but how would you target it on a
moving target?

And i believe the gun has 450 rounds capacity? That would not allow much
of a squirt per zero. And given the zero has superior low speed
maneuverability, how would you approach the gun shots?

Bob

Old May 31st 04, 04:03 AM
Pete

"Bob Urz" wrote

Although i agree the nukes are a "finisher", i was thinking more along
the lines of conventional weapons to make it more interesting.
Would a agm-65 be usable in this situation? laser guided bombs
certainly would.

At this point, all we need to do is kill the flight deck, and disable as
many unlaunched planes as we can.
AGM-65 is probably too small to be effective.
F-15E can carry 8x500 lb (GBU-12 or MK-82). Use those. 2 ea holes in the
flight deck would take it out of action.

Someone suggested a cluster bomb, but how would you target it on a
moving target?

It's not moving that fast. Targeting wouldn't be that hard (lead it a
little)
The bomblets would be enough to disable some/most of the aircraft on deck,
but maybe not enough to take the flight deck out of operation.

And i believe the gun has 450 rounds capacity? That would not allow much
of a squirt per zero. And given the zero has superior low speed
maneuverability, how would you approach the gun shots?

From behind. Pick them off one by one. If you're lucky, you'll get a few
before the guys in front notice. Once they DO notice, leave and call the
cavalry. You're vastly outnumbered. Notification is more important than
trying to get "just one more".

Pete
Knowing what we know now, I still maintain that with an unrestricted weapons
load, B61 is the only way to go.