Cessna 172 fuel selector

Old February 4th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Cessna 172 fuel selector

Tom Cummings wrote:
Yes, I went through that. The fuel selector would not shut off the fuel. A
new selector was price around $1000 ! I could not believe it. The
replacement parts were very expensive but a lot cheaper than getting a new
selector. I remember the tiny "retainers" were $60 each. The valve was over
30 years old. Things will wear out. Maybe now it is good for another 30 !
Tom Cummings
1973 Cessna 172M
"Ross" wrote in message

I am in the throws of my annual on the aircraft. This year I have several
things needing fixing and one is the leaky fuel selector. Well, let me tell
you that is no easy job. I had to take a lot of the plane apart to get to
it. What was Cessna thinking when they designed the placement of the fuel
selector. I finally got it out and the A&P is going to replace all the
o-rings, etc. I guess it will be fun again for the re-installation process.
Anyone else go through this? You have to have small hands and stubby
wrenches.
--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

Just finished annual and the overhauled fuel selector works fine. We
bought the overhaul kit from McFarland. discovered them in the Cessan
Pilots Association magazine. I guess I need to find what this costs? It
was just several o rings and a cork gasket.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old November 25th 08, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
daveInDenver

I got a chuckle out of the mention of having small hands and arms to
replace the Cessna 172 fuel slector. I replaced one on my C170 and I
have neither small hands or arms, so I DID have scarred ones when I was
complete. My current C172 has an inspection plate on the belly just in
front of the fuel inspection plate. It also had an upgrade to the fuel
selector that added a fuel drain at the bottom. I am in the process of
replacing the o-ring in that drain. By the way, your probably done,
but if not, considering removing all your drains while you have your
tank empty and at the very least replace the o-rings in those. Also, I
found it a great time to add 5 gal at a time to the tanks and mark a
stick to get a good calibration of the tanks instead of just eyeballing
the tanks. when you don't want to go with full tanks.
Have fun!!!

--
daveInDenver
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old December 1st 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

daveInDenver wrote:
I got a chuckle out of the mention of having small hands and arms to
replace the Cessna 172 fuel slector. I replaced one on my C170 and I
have neither small hands or arms, so I DID have scarred ones when I was
complete. My current C172 has an inspection plate on the belly just in
front of the fuel inspection plate. It also had an upgrade to the fuel
selector that added a fuel drain at the bottom. I am in the process of
replacing the o-ring in that drain. By the way, your probably done,
but if not, considering removing all your drains while you have your
tank empty and at the very least replace the o-rings in those. Also, I
found it a great time to add 5 gal at a time to the tanks and mark a
stick to get a good calibration of the tanks instead of just eyeballing
the tanks. when you don't want to go with full tanks.
Have fun!!!

At my last annual we overhauled the my 172 fuel selector. It is no easy
task, but doable. What was Cessna thinking? At the same time we replace
both wing drains. The year before that we serviced the gasolator. That
one is pretty easy. McFarlan had the o ring kit for the fuel selector.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP