Comm in a bag?

Old March 4th 04, 09:01 PM
Richard Lamb

Default Comm in a bag?

A unique solution for airplanes _without_ electrical systems

After a couple of long cross countries in slow OLD airplanes,
we've come up with a novel solution for handling hand held radios.

Flying with a hand held can be a little more interesting that with
built in radios.

First, there is a lot more to a com system than just the hand held.

Power. AA batteries in a hand held radio do not last long transmitting.
Headsets are necessary.
Intercom box, Noise canceling box!,
Lots of spaghetti wiring strung all over the cockpit...

On a whim I bought a nice blue diaper bag at Wall Mart for $9.95.

A 7 amp-hr gell cell goes in first.
This battery will last for several days on a charge, depending on how
much transmitting is done. Leo's is a 12 AH version that fits the bag
width perfectly.

Then a plastic snap-closed box that fits the bottom of the bag to lock
the battery in place.

A compact 3 outlet 12 volt socket was modified by cutting off the plug
and installing terminals that fit the battery.

The radio, GPS, and one something else can be plugged in at the same
time.

The radio goes in one of the two outside (bottle?) pockets for quick
and easy access.

(The system can be upgraded to dual comms by stuffing another hand held
in the other pocket. ;^)

Small stuff goes in the bottom box. Misc. cables, AA batteries for the
radio and LED flash light (commonality), small battery charger, vom...

The Press To Talk switch sounds like a Good Thing, and really is,
but it's an inquisitive octopus that likes to crawl into everything.

A couple of velcro straps to hold it in shape, the whole wiry
mess stuffs into the baby bottle cozy and is completely contained.

Just plug it in if you want it and push the little red button to talk.

Note that EVERYTHING can pack into the diaper bag so that nothing
goes adrift on long trips. (Well everything but a flight helmet!)

Two sets of Lightspeed headsets, intercom, battery, gps, charts,
the flight plan, log books, camera, phone (turn off before take off!),
etc.

The big pocket on the back will hold several charts and still
zip shut. But not with all the charts and a knee board. Oh well.

I don't have one yet, but a plastic battery box with a power switch
would be a nice improvement. Right now, I just unplug the battery.

The whole mess weighs 8 to 12 pounds or so depending on what you pack.

Life is good, flying is sweet, flying old slow airplanes cross country.

But I wonder some times about getting stranded somewhere and having to
take a commercial airline ride home.

Any guesses as to how airport security might react to my diaper bag?

Richard
Old March 4th 04, 09:59 PM
Morgans

"Richard Lamb" wrote

Life is good, flying is sweet, flying old slow airplanes cross country.

But I wonder some times about getting stranded somewhere and having to
take a commercial airline ride home.

Any guesses as to how airport security might react to my diaper bag?

Richard

I went to Osh a couple years ago, (post 9-11), with just such a mess of
wires, only worse. The only difference was, I used a commercial battery in
a "jump start" arrangement, instead. I had the jump start, a three way
lighter socket, an amp-volt meter, a model charger, a handheld, a couple
radios and cameras, headsets, a couple universal voltage adapters, a 120 to
12 v charger, lots of rechargeable batteries, a 12v to 120v ac inverter, a
12v fan, a couple of flashlights, a cell phone, and TONS of misc jumpers and
aligator clips. I'm sure I left a few things out.

I checked through as a check on bag, with no problems. I "wouldn't
recomend" taking it as a carry on! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old March 5th 04, 04:25 AM
Tim Ward

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
A unique solution for airplanes _without_ electrical systems

After a couple of long cross countries in slow OLD airplanes,
we've come up with a novel solution for handling hand held radios.

Flying with a hand held can be a little more interesting that with
built in radios.

First, there is a lot more to a com system than just the hand held.

Power. AA batteries in a hand held radio do not last long transmitting.
Headsets are necessary.
Intercom box, Noise canceling box!,
Lots of spaghetti wiring strung all over the cockpit...

On a whim I bought a nice blue diaper bag at Wall Mart for $9.95.

A 7 amp-hr gell cell goes in first.
This battery will last for several days on a charge, depending on how
much transmitting is done. Leo's is a 12 AH version that fits the bag
width perfectly.

snip

You didn't mention it, so I thought I would. Fuses. Fuse that battery right
at the terminals. An easy way is to put a couple of female quick-disconnects
(just like you use to connect to the battery) on the shortest piece of wire
you can manage.
Then plug that onto the battery, plug a blade-type auto fuse of the
appropriate size into the other end, and what used to go onto the battery
onto the other blade of the fuse.
Now, when something shorts, life won't be nearly so exciting. The spare
fuses also go in the bag, of course.

Tim Ward

Old March 5th 04, 05:20 AM
Richard Lamb

Tim Ward wrote:

[...]

We've talked about it, but didn't think of the blade types...
Hmmm...
Old March 5th 04, 06:42 AM
Tim Ward

Tim Ward wrote:

[...]

Well, give it a try. If you made up the bag, you probably already have the
disconnects and the wire. If you don't like it for some reason, it's easy
to undo.

Tim Ward

Old March 5th 04, 08:04 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 04:20:43 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Then plug that onto the battery, plug a blade-type auto fuse of the
appropriate size into the other end, and what used to go onto the battery
onto the other blade of the fuse.
Now, when something shorts, life won't be nearly so exciting. The spare
fuses also go in the bag, of course.

We've talked about it, but didn't think of the blade types...
Hmmm...

Used the mini-blade fuse holder when I reworked my electrical system for
the new transponder. I really like them; I have always had trouble with
the conventional plastic in-line fuse holders getting brittle with age.
These are really nothing more than a couple of quick-disconnect type
connectors molded inside a plastic shell. Cost about $2.

The only drawback is that it's hard to pull a fuse out. I never can get a
good enough grip; I always have to use a pliers. But then, if you blow a
fuse, you generally are going to need some tools to fix the underlying
problem, anyway....

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 5th 04, 09:35 AM
Richard Lamb

Tim Ward wrote:

[...]

Done.

Richard

(See? this design by committee stuff ain't so bad!)
Old March 5th 04, 04:35 PM
Veeduber

I literally WEAR my nav-comm gear.

Old fishing vest is my foundation garment Nicads for power. Only external
lead is for a whip antenna (if needed).

Lots of airplanes needing to be ferried have had their avionics removed, if any
were even installed. But if installed, the antennas are usually still there,
may still be usable.

A lot of ferry or recovery flights are a two-plane evolution -- two of you go
there, bring the bird home in loose formation. But if you have to fly
commerical either coming or going your flight vest can cause problems if it
includes survival gear, in which case I've found FedEx or UPS to be a better
solution than checked baggage.

(For those of you who haven't done this sort of thing, see the Canadian regs
for required survival gear.)

-R.S.Hoover
Old March 5th 04, 09:22 PM
Rich S.

"Veeduber" wrote in message
I literally WEAR my nav-comm gear.

Old fishing vest is my foundation garment Nicads for power. Only

external
lead is for a whip antenna (if needed).

I can just see you at the airport, about to climb into a Cessna with
electrical tape numbers on the side, wearing a vest festooned with wire and
having tubular objects stuffed into the pockets. One of the new-hire TSA
security trainees, carrying his spanking-new Glock, sees you and realizes it
is up to him to save the world.

Rich S. (

Old March 6th 04, 05:06 PM
john smith

Veeduber wrote:
(For those of you who haven't done this sort of thing, see the Canadian regs
for required survival gear.)

Survival Equipment List

Alaskan Survival Kit Regulations

Alaska state law requires that no airman may make a flight inside the
state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:
1. The minimum equipment to be carried during summer months is as
follows: (for all single engine and for multiengine aircraft licensed to
carry 15 passengers
or less)
a. food for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for two weeks
b. one axe or hatchet
c. one first aid kit
d. one pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle and ammunition for same.
e. one small gill net and an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies,
lines, sinkers, etc.
f. one knife
g. two small boxes of matches
h. one mosquito headnet for each occupant
i. two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad
fuses or very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers
2. In addition to the above, the following must be carried as minimum
equipment from October 15 to April 1 of each year:
a. one pair of snowshoes
b. one sleeping bag
c. one wool blanket for each occupant over four
Canadian Survival Kit Regulations
Canada used to have pretty stringent regulations regarding required
survival gear. They recently revised the regulations. The current
version of the regulation follows, with the
former version, a fairly good guide for what may be considered acceptable.
Survival Equipment - Flights over Land
602.61 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an
aircraft over land unless there is carried on board survival equipment,
sufficient for the survival on the ground of each person on board, given
the geographical area, the season of the year and anticipated seasonal
climatic variations, that provides the means for:
(a) starting a fire;
(b) providing shelter;
(c) providing or purifying water; and
(d) visually signalling distress.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of
(a) a balloon, a glider, a hang glider, a gyroplane or an ultra-light
aeroplane;
(b) an aircraft that is operated within 25 nautical miles of the
aerodrome of departure and that has the capability of radiocommunication
with surface-based radio
station for the duration of the flight;
(c) a multi-engined aircraft this is operated south of 66 30' north latitude
(i) in IFR flight within controlled airspace, or
(ii) along designated air routes;
(d) an aircraft that is operated by an air operator, where the aircraft
is equipped with equipment specified in the air operator's company
operations manual, but not
with the equipment required by subsection (1); or
(e) an aircraft that is operated in a geographical area where and at a
time of year when the survival of the persons on board is not jeopardized.
You should be aware that hand guns and fully automatic weapons are not
legal to be carried or worn in Canada. (They may seize your airplane!).
Canada has new firearm regulations! Please visit their web site at:
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/.../rc4227-e.html
Old Canadian Regulations (no longer in force)
Emergency Equipment for Flights in Sparsely Settled Areas (most of the
area north of 52 degrees North latitude is designated as "Sparsely Settled")
1.Food having a caloric value of at least 10,000 calories per person
carried, not subject to deterioration by heat or cold and stored in a
sealed waterproof
container bearing a tag or label on which the operator of the aircraft
or his representative has certified the amount and satisfactory
condition of the food in the container following an inspection made not
more than 6 months prior to the flight.
2.Cooking utensils.
3.Matches in a waterproof container.
4.A stove and a supply of fuel or a self-contained means of providing
heat for cooking when operating north of the tree line.
5.A portable compass.
6.An axe of at least 2 1/2 pounds or 1 kilogram weight with a handle of
not less than 28 inches or 70 centimeters in length. (typically referred
to as a "Hudson Bay" axe)
7.A flexible saw blade or equivalent cutting tool.
8.Snare wire of at least 30 feet or 9 meters and instructions for its use.
9.Fishing equipment including still fishing bait and a gill net of not
more than a 2 inch or 3 centimeter mesh.
10.Mosquito nets or netting and insect repellant sufficient to meet the
needs of all persons carried when operating in an area where insects are
likely to be hazardous.
11.Tents or engine and wing covers of a suitable design, coloured or
having panels coloured in international orange or other high visibility
colour, sufficient to accommodate all persons when operating north of
the tree line.
12.Winter sleeping bags sufficient in quantity to accommodate all
persons carried when operating in an area where the mean daily
temperature is likely to be
7 degrees C (approx. 45 degrees F) or less.
13.Two pairs of snow shoes when operating in areas where the ground snow
cover is likely to be 12 inches or 30 centimeters of more.
14.A signalling mirror.
15.At least 3 pyrotechnical distress signals.
16.A sharp jack-knife or hunting knife of good quality.
17.A suitable survival instruction manual.
18.Conspicuity panel.
The following are suggested as useful additional equipment:
1.Spare Axe Handle
2.Honing stone or file
3.Ice chisel
4.Snow knife or snow saw
5.Snow shovel
6.Flashlight with spare bulbs and batteries
7.Pack sack