Will cheaper motorgliders increase the number of soaring pilots?

Old November 17th 04, 11:19 PM
Robertmudd1u

No details on the insurer, or if the pilot needs a twin engine rating

Insured by Costello, higher than normal rates because it is used for air show
work.
No multi engine rating needed or held because there is no such thing in the FAA
world as a multi engine glider.

Robert Mudd
Old November 18th 04, 12:47 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article ,
Robertmudd1u wrote:
No details on the insurer, or if the pilot needs a twin engine rating

Insured by Costello, higher than normal rates because it is used for air show
work.
No multi engine rating needed or held because there is no such thing in the FAA
world as a multi engine glider.

Dang. Now that IS fantastic. Costello should get a reeeel nice
Christmas card for being so reasonable.

I was aware that there is no FAA cat/class requirement for
multi-engine single-place experimental turbine glider in the
general CFR's , but to see that the insurer shows such
flexibility is reassuring.

I'd sure love to see performance data on this aircraft:
climb rates and speeds, fuel consumption, acceleration
to rotation, etc...

Good for you guys! I'm going to absolutely have to see this
act at an airshow at some point. Oct 2,3 at Kingman, AZ 2005.
Hmmm...maybe we need to get him all the way out to Calif. before that

It also seems pretty clear that if two 45# thrust engines can do this
to a 660# total flying weight glider, one 45# thrust engine may be
enough for a 400# total flying weight glider. And talk about safer:
I can't imagine the turbine drag is more than a prop, so
engine failures at launch should be less dramatic.

Thanks for the response, Robert. Cheers to you...
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old November 18th 04, 02:03 AM
Greg Arnold

I was aware that there is no FAA cat/class requirement for
multi-engine single-place experimental turbine glider in the
general CFR's , but to see that the insurer shows such
flexibility is reassuring.

I'd sure love to see performance data on this aircraft:
climb rates and speeds, fuel consumption, acceleration
to rotation, etc...

Good for you guys! I'm going to absolutely have to see this
act at an airshow at some point. Oct 2,3 at Kingman, AZ 2005.
Hmmm...maybe we need to get him all the way out to Calif. before that

He is talking about it at the Convention in Ontario, CA in February.