New Ministers of National Defence in Canada

Old December 12th 03, 03:37 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Default New Ministers of National Defence in Canada

David Pratt, Member of Parliament for Nepean-Carleton, has just been
appointed Minister of National Defence. In a break from usual practice he
has been appointed to the department for which he had the oversight
committee, the Standing Committee on National Defence and Veterans
Affairs.
http://www.davidpratt.net/bio_temp.htm

Albina Guarnieri, Member of Parliament for Mississauga East, has been
appointed Associate Minister of National Defence and Minister of State
(Civil Preparedness). This is her first cabinet post also.

Anne McLellan, Member of Parliament for Edmonton West, is appointed
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Public Safety and Emergency
Preparedness. She was variously Minister of Justice and Minister of
Health in the Chrétien ministry.
http://www.annemclellan.ca/about.html
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old December 13th 03, 12:35 AM
Michael P. Reed

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message ...
David Pratt, Member of Parliament for Nepean-Carleton, has just been
appointed Minister of National Defence.

Martin is supposedly for reconstituting* the Canadian Armed Forces.
Is this considered a step in that direction, and have any
general-specifics been laid out as of yet?

* My term.

--
Regards,

Michael P. Reed
Old December 13th 03, 02:24 AM
Carter Lee

Michael P. Reed wrote:
"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message ...

David Pratt, Member of Parliament for Nepean-Carleton, has just been
appointed Minister of National Defence.

Martin is supposedly for reconstituting* the Canadian Armed Forces.
Is this considered a step in that direction, and have any
general-specifics been laid out as of yet?

Slow down, he was sworn in only today. :^)

Carter

Old December 13th 03, 02:38 AM
J_Harmeson

"Carter Lee" wrote in message
Slow down, he was sworn in only today. :^)

Carter

+ Christmas break, they be back Jan/Feb, the an election could be called
before April.

Old December 13th 03, 02:54 AM
Jack

Martin today says new replacements for Sea Pigs

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...d769xt3_photo0

Old December 13th 03, 04:58 AM
Dewey

of course the picture (in the yahoo article) is of a serviceable RAF AEW Sea
King.

....i couldn't resist.

dewey

Old December 13th 03, 05:05 AM
MOOXE

I get to do the parade next week! yay............yeah

"Jack" wrote in message
Martin today says new replacements for Sea Pigs

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...a_afp/03121221
0851_kd769xt3_photo0

Old December 13th 03, 01:09 PM
Dewey

agreed...

we've seen and heard all this rhetoric before, and it will get worse before
getting better.

Chretien was no friend to the military. Personally, I'm glad he is history.

I can't think of a single PM, who in a space of 10 years, almost
single-handily brought the military to it's knees. Sure, there were
justified cuts throughout the post-WW2 era (front line
soldiers/sailors...etc), but nothing prepared us for the onslaught of cuts
in the 90's. It's one thing to say we went from +150,000 personnel to
90,000, but to go down to around 50,000 (of which 7000 were unusable due to
lack of training, sickness, retirement...etc), from almost a 100,000 and
retain our core capabilities with an increased operations tempo is (was)
near impossible.

dewey (glass half empty until proven otherwise)

" Well we already know the CAF are likely to lose their heavy armo(u)r.
I expect we'll see another round of cuts disguised as a
reorganization of some sort.
As I've said before, the CAF is evolving into a national gendarmerie
aimed squarely at peacekeeping, foreign and domestic.
Any residual military capabilities will be purely coincidental.

IBM