Anywhere WX

Old January 9th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Anywhere WX

In article ,
Mitty wrote:
As far as the satellites and keeping them in view, certainly
any system without an external antenna will have that
problem. I think they all use the same receivers.

For systems using the WxWorx hardware, the receiver is the same, and the
small patch antenna is the same (lousy performance inside the aircraft).
However, Garmin designed and built their own receiver/antenna for the
GPSmap 396 (and presumably GLD69) and the 396 reception is excellent in
my experience.

JKG
Old January 9th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Mitty wrote:
On 1/8/2006 12:24 PM, William L.Snow, PE wrote the following:
You might want to take a look at ChartCase.

http://www.flightprep.com/rootpage.php?page=HomeEFBSW

They have recently added XM weather. I have been beta testing the 3.0
version and my strong impression is that these guys do care about
quality. And the team has been in the flying business for a long time.
IIRC they originally wrote the flight planner that Jeppesen now sells,
then went off on their own to offer Golden Eagle via the DUATS
relationship. Definitely not hobbyist stuff as another poster alleged
CV to be.

I wouldn't consider having developed the Golden Eagle software to be a strongly
positive reference.

Dave
Old January 10th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

You sound like a flat lander. As someone that flys around the Sierra
foothills, I very much enjoy the back up of having terrain on my VFR
GPS. I've had two occasions where ATC has vectored me towards a
mountain and then forgot to turn me in night IMC (mountains).

-Robert