atmospheric density effects on airfoils

Old June 23rd 05, 01:10 PM
Stubby

Default atmospheric density effects on airfoils

TravisRogers wrote:
Hi All,

The density of air changes notably with changes in temperature which
results in differences in lift to an airfoil. After putting on my mad
scientist cap, I got to wondering -- are there any other methods of
altering the density of air? Perhaps using radiation of a particular
wavelength (from radio to gamma) or other perhaps other methods?

In particular, I'm wondering if it is possible to change the density of a
specific predetermined volume of the atmosphere. The idea is to create an
area of the atmosphere that is far too thin or far too thick to be
compatible with an airfoil, thus denying the area to (terrorist) aircraft.

This whole thing sounds pretty far out there but it's amusing to think
about. Any thoughts?

You could do something like release an enormous volume of hydrogen, but
it would be difficult to contain in a specific area.

To increase the density, you can use water vapor. Or pollen. Because
lift is proportional to mass flow, you will be helping the enemy.
However, you might want to assist a plane which is running low on fuel
by making its wings more effective for a short time.

I cut back to one newsgroup for this post. There's no reason to
broadcast this nonsense.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
Roy Smith

Stubby wrote:
To increase the density, you can use water vapor.

Adding water vapor will decrease density.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:52 PM
Stubby

Roy Smith wrote:

Stubby wrote:

To increase the density, you can use water vapor.

Adding water vapor will decrease density.

Right. Sorry about that.
Water vapor is molecular weight 18. Average "air" is 29.
Old June 23rd 05, 05:46 PM
Al

Hello,

The changes in density are pretty minor with temp, more with altitude.
The airfoil
doesn't really feel the change, but if an airplane going 100mph climbs into
thinner air,
the airplane feels less drag so it speeds up. At the higher speed, the quick
thin air feels
just like the thicker slower air. A lear jet that is doing 250 kts at sea
level, is really
going about 250kts. The same airplane showing 250kts on the airspeed
indicator at 45,000
feet is actually moving about 450kts.

Al CFIAMI

Old June 24th 05, 02:20 AM
Juan Jimenez

If I remember correctly, there has been some research done as to the effects
of a strong magnetic field at the forward end of an aircraft to decrease
drag. I don't know how it works, but I remember reading the concept was
being considered to reduce heat on the hypersonic aircraft airframes.

Old June 24th 05, 02:43 AM
Brian Whatcott

A laser beam providing a thermal expansion wave ahead.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK