302 Issues, Probably self Inflicted... Experts?

Old March 30th 16, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linwood Stevenson

Default 302 Issues, Probably self Inflicted... Experts?

Hi All,

Previous flight last week my 302 abruptly quite recording mid flight, a fact I wasn't aware of until after landing and viewing the downloaded .igc file. Was a good 400k+ flight too, but thats beside the point.... Anyway, checked out the log file and it appeared to be full, so I assumed (first mistake) that the memory wrap around feature didn't wrap around. Fix was to clear the log, which I've occasionally done in the past.

So, today when starting the 302 it wasn't locking on satellites after 15 minutes or so. I was in line for a tow, and if I didn't take the tow, would have lost the tow plane for the day. Off we go, no satellites acquired. A few minutes after the release, the satellites finally acquired, and all other 302 features appeared normal. After return home, attempted to download the .igc file once again, only to be greeted with a message to the effect that there were no log files to be downloaded, and none were displayed on the screen...

So, question is, should the 302 start a partial log once the satellites are acquired, or will the log pages stay blank, as they did today. Am I looking at a possible 302 failure, or is this simply operator error on my part?

On top of that, the PowerFlarm portable isn't logging any .igc files either.. Might be dead in the water for the Perry contest. Issues always happen before a contest or other event it seems....

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help!
7B

Old March 30th 16, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:35:45 PM UTC-4, Linwood Stevenson wrote:
[...]

Check for GPS antenna interference (start by running the 302 alone... see if it locks up faster/more reliably without other GPS devices switched on). If interference suspected, move antennas around. 12" clearance between GPS antennas always works. 6" usually works. Less is a little dicey.

If the problem turns out to be your 302... I have a spare 302 I'd be happy to loan for the contest. Has the GPS date bug fix.

Best,

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 30th 16, 02:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 9:15:35 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

PowerFLARM firmware - latest is 6.05 - should be updated every 365 day period. I also delete the previous year's files. Part of the problem - which I've seen 3 times - is a bad USB stick. USB memory is desktop or laptop RAM which failed for some reason. If your stick does something bad - get rid of it (my opinion).

Dan
Old March 30th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linwood Stevenson

[...]

Thanks Evan,
Mine had the GPS and date fix recently, but its alway has and still is flakey on satellite acquisition. Somedays works in the garage, other days takes 20+ minutes under a clear sky, like today... 302 is old but reliable unit, but maybe its had its day... might look at some of the newer stuff that also records .igc....
Appreciate your kind offer of 302 loan. Got a bit more beating on the 302 tomorrow to see if there is something else to do, then will go from there and let you know... Thanks again!

Steve
7B
Old March 30th 16, 09:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 01:49 30 March 2016, Linwood Stevenson wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 9:15:35 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 at 8:35:45 PM UTC-4, Linwood Stevenson

wrote:
Hi All,
=20
Previous flight last week my 302 abruptly quite recording mid flight,

a=
fact I wasn't aware of until after landing and viewing the downloaded
.igc=
file. Was a good 400k+ flight too, but thats beside the point....
Anyway,=
checked out the log file and it appeared to be full, so I assumed (first
m=
istake) that the memory wrap around feature didn't wrap around. Fix was
to=
clear the log, which I've occasionally done in the past. =20
=20
So, today when starting the 302 it wasn't locking on satellites after

1=
5 minutes or so. I was in line for a tow, and if I didn't take the tow,
wo=
uld have lost the tow plane for the day. Off we go, no satellites
acquired=
.. A few minutes after the release, the satellites finally acquired, and
al=
l other 302 features appeared normal. After return home, attempted to
down=
load the .igc file once again, only to be greeted with a message to the
eff=
ect that there were no log files to be downloaded, and none were

displayed
=
on the screen...
=20
[...]

y to loan for the contest. Has the GPS date bug fix. =20
=20
=20
Best,
=20
Evan Ludeman / T8

Thanks Evan,
Mine had the GPS and date fix recently, but its alway has and still is
flak=
ey on satellite acquisition. Somedays works in the garage, other days
take=
s 20+ minutes under a clear sky, like today... 302 is old but reliable
unit=
, but maybe its had its day... might look at some of the newer stuff that
a=
lso records .igc....
Appreciate your kind offer of 302 loan. Got a bit more beating on the

302
=
tomorrow to see if there is something else to do, then will go from there
a=
nd let you know... Thanks again!

Steve=20
7B

As I recall, the 302 should record as a barograph, even without GPS lock
once vertical movement has been seen, back-logging for a short while.

Sound like its broke.

Old March 30th 16, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oscar-Hotel-Mike

I have not experienced exactly what your issue is but there are two problems with 302's that you might want to pursue. One is related to GPS errors (which doesn't seem to affect creating IGC files or GPS lock, but the imbedded dates are wrong) and the other is issues with creating/storing IGC files (but doesn't affect GPS lock either). See http://aviation.derosaweb.net/cambridge/ for details on both. Good luck. Please report back.
Old March 30th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

At 12:37 30 March 2016, Oscar-Hotel-Mike wrote:
I have not experienced exactly what your issue is but there are two
problem=
s with 302's that you might want to pursue. One is related to GPS errors
(=
which doesn't seem to affect creating IGC files or GPS lock, but the
imbedd=
ed dates are wrong) and the other is issues with creating/storing IGC
files=
(but doesn't affect GPS lock either). See
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/c=
ambridge/ for details on both. Good luck. Please report back.

If you have the'rollover' problem, dates will be exactly 1024 weeks out (19
years 8months and a bit).
http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/software/epoch.exe will give you the date 1024
weeks ago, and give the possible dates for any igc-format filename.

Old March 31st 16, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linwood Stevenson

Hi All!

The consensus here was that something was wrong with the 302. So, yesterday, shipped it off overnight to Gary at Clearnav. He just emailed me that he has already replaced the faulty Garmin unit with a new one and all appears normal now. The previous Garmin unit in the 302 was fairly new, and had no date bug. However, it did have a total failure. He has already shipped the repaired 302 back in my direction! Under 24 hours and unbelievable great service from Gary at Clearnav, and very much appreciated! Thanks to everyone for their input and offers of loaning another 302!

Linwood
7B