Cambridge 20 to SN10B

Old April 4th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cambridge 20 to SN10B

I'm trying to get Model 20 to communicate with SN-10B.
We know we have connection cable right.
Logger is on- 2 different 20's tried.
We get "No GPS input" and "No message received from GPS" messages.
NMEA input is selected.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
UH
Old April 4th 16, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Have you tried a Volkslogger to see if the SN10 will communicate with it?
I have a free 18" (0.5m) DB9 to 6-pin RJ cable for you if needed. It worked in my LS6 for the season I used SN10b with GPS20. Even has the magic ferrite bead.
Jim

Old April 4th 16, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 12:45:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm trying to get Model 20 to communicate with SN-10B.
We know we have connection cable right.
Logger is on- 2 different 20's tried.
We get "No GPS input" and "No message received from GPS" messages.
NMEA input is selected.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
UH

Double-check GPS setting and baud rate on SN10:
IIRC Should say "NMEA 4800" for CAI 20.
Only 2 wires needed:
- gnd at serial connectors
- CAI TX to SN10 RX

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: Ring me if you can't sort it...
Old April 4th 16, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 1:58:29 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 12:45:58 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm trying to get Model 20 to communicate with SN-10B.
We know we have connection cable right.
Logger is on- 2 different 20's tried.
We get "No GPS input" and "No message received from GPS" messages.
NMEA input is selected.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
UH

Double-check GPS setting and baud rate on SN10:
IIRC Should say "NMEA 4800" for CAI 20.
Only 2 wires needed:
- gnd at serial connectors
- CAI TX to SN10 RX

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave

PS: Ring me if you can't sort it...

Clue was checking baud rate in SN10. We had not seen anything in the manual about how to set it. Partner Scott too the hint an noodled till he found the screen. 19200 is proven to not work with CAI!
All better.
Thanks
UH
Old April 4th 16, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi UH,

The key is knowing that the Cambridge GPS-NAV only sends data out the 9-pin
serial port if the attached device tells it to start sending data. The SN10
doesn't do that. Therefore, you must connect the SN10 to the GPS-NAV's
6-pin DATA port. That port always sends the GPS data at 4800 baud. The
transmit and ground wire connections are detailed in the GPS-NAV manual.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________

Old April 5th 16, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, April 4, 2016 at 6:12:25 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi UH,

The key is knowing that the Cambridge GPS-NAV only sends data out the 9-pin
serial port if the attached device tells it to start sending data. The SN10
doesn't do that. Therefore, you must connect the SN10 to the GPS-NAV's
6-pin DATA port. That port always sends the GPS data at 4800 baud. The
transmit and ground wire connections are detailed in the GPS-NAV manual.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

It was not in the wiring. The problem was not finding info to guide us to the required menu page in the SN10 to set the baud rate. Dave's guidance led us to fiddle until we found the setup page.
This was a case where RAS was very prompt and useful to get through a problem.
Thx
UH

SN10b for sale Andrew[_13_] Soaring 0 September 23rd 15 06:51 PM
ILEC SN10B F/S QRP Nimbus C Soaring 0 January 9th 15 08:20 PM
ILEC SN10B [email protected] Soaring 5 August 28th 13 10:55 PM
Looking for used SN10B yankeegolf Soaring 0 March 15th 10 12:21 PM
Cambridge 302/Cambridge 3UTIQ255 utility/ WinPilot/iPAQ 4155 Nathan Whelchel Soaring 4 July 5th 04 11:22 PM