Engine vibration with advanced ignition.

Old September 18th 08, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
abripl[_2_]

Default Engine vibration with advanced ignition.

Been flying my canard for a few years now - it has a Franklin 6-350
engine and LSE dual ignition. I often noticed a slightly extra engine
vibs in the 2500-2700RPM range (maybe its my imagination) and I used
to fly it 2400rpm or less. All this time I had the ignition advanced
probably an extra 5 degrees to get a little more power. Recently I
changed the plugs on it and at same retarded the ignition to standard
recommended TDC setting. Now it seems the engine is more uniformly
smooth in the whole range. Did two test flights.

Can extra advance add to engine vibs? Any A&Ps out there?
SQ2000 Canard http://www.abri.com/sq2000
Old September 19th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Denny

The good thing from advanced timing is detonation which hammers those
nasty lead deposits out of there, along with the top of the piston..

denny
Old October 18th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:59:59 -0700 (PDT), abripl
wrote:

Been flying my canard for a few years now - it has a Franklin 6-350
engine and LSE dual ignition. I often noticed a slightly extra engine
vibs in the 2500-2700RPM range (maybe its my imagination) and I used
to fly it 2400rpm or less. All this time I had the ignition advanced
probably an extra 5 degrees to get a little more power. Recently I
changed the plugs on it and at same retarded the ignition to standard
recommended TDC setting. Now it seems the engine is more uniformly
smooth in the whole range. Did two test flights.

Can extra advance add to engine vibs? Any A&Ps out there?
SQ2000 Canard http://www.abri.com/sq2000

Don't know how old this posting is, but with ur spark advanced, you
might be getting detonation???? WAG

Big John

Sustainer engine ignition noise (Solo2350) Per Soaring 8 January 4th 07 05:56 AM
Engine Balancing and Resonance Vibration Problem AllanFuller Owning 13 September 12th 05 12:51 AM
Wierd vibration -- Prop or engine, balance or not??? Chuck Owning 17 December 1st 04 02:12 PM
Vibration Testing Jim Weir Home Built 20 October 10th 04 07:22 AM
Vibration is Citabria TIm Gilbert Owning 8 December 14th 03 03:34 PM