Cessna 182T w. G-1000 pirep

Old July 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
C J Campbell

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
Ryan,

very interesting, thanks.

IMHO, it's a matter of time until Cirrus switches to the G1000, just
like they switched from Arnav to Avidyne.

Cirrus on their web site makes some silly comment that the G1000 does not
meet their standards for safety.

Old July 22nd 04, 04:01 PM
Ryan Ferguson

Thomas Borchert wrote:
Ryan,

very interesting, thanks.

IMHO, it's a matter of time until Cirrus switches to the G1000, just
like they switched from Arnav to Avidyne. The integration really makes
sense. Maybe they're waiting for the autopilot...

Personally, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The Klapmeiers view
themselves as a startup company, like Avidyne, and they like Avidyne's
scrappy spirit. Avidyne was also first to market with less dollars and
more technology than their competitors, and face a competitive landscape
similar to what Cirrus must now face: aggressive, angry competitors
(with a heck of a lot more money in the bank) who are having daily
meetings on how to put the newcomer out of business.

However, my bet is on Garmin for getting it right with the G-1000. The
market may force Cirrus to change their mind at some point.

-Ryan

As for TCM, here in Europe, many people, myself included, are really
waiting for a diesel to be integrated into the Cirrus. The way Cirrus
tells it, the SMA installation is full of problems which need solving
by SMA, not Cirrus. Not much movement there. OTOH, the small Thielert
doesn't have enough power. The big Thielert, scheduled for 2006, is too
big and heavy. So the only hope from my view is the 6-cylinder 200+ HP
Thielert, which will probably take until close to the end of the decade
to be fully certified and integrated. Oh well...

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

We have a Diamond DA-42 with the Thielert engines on order, due in 2005.
I look forward to playing with that. It certainly can boast some
impressive numbers on paper.

-Ryan
Old July 22nd 04, 04:13 PM
Mick Ruthven

We have a Diamond DA-42 with the Thielert engines on order, due in 2005.
I look forward to playing with that. It certainly can boast some
impressive numbers on paper.

I can't find any single-engine numbers on the Diamond website. Do you know
what the single-engine rate of climb and service ceiling are supposed to be?

Old July 22nd 04, 07:06 PM
CV

Michael 182 wrote:
"C J Campbell" wrote in message

good review snipped

I would say that this airplane still beats the Cirrus hands down.

I have a TR-182, and I'm looking at used Cirrus SR-22. What are the key
reasons for your statement?

Michael

From one thing to another, it is rather surprising to see a relative
newcomer on the market using "Cirrus" as a brand name, when there
have already been aircraft with that name in existance for quite
a number of years, and there are still large numbers of them
flying around in different parts of the world.

http://www.standardcirrus.org/

Did the manufacturer Schempp-Hirth not protect the "Cirrus" brand
name in the US ? A rather serious omission that, if it allows
others to clown around with their product name like this.

Would this possibly cause difficulties in some countries for the
makers of this power-"Cirrus" if they wanted to export it ?

Just wondering ...

CV