Changing Logbooks

Old April 10th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Default Changing Logbooks

I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
with that entry.

I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.

Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
back of the new book?

I wouldn't change logbooks just because of a flight review (or even a
new rating). Just keep using the old one until you run out of pages.
But in any case, when you go to a new logbook, make a note in the new
book of the dates and CFIs for all endorsements still needed, and of
which logbook they are actually located in. You don't generally have to
carry your endorsements with you, just have them. (You don't have to
carry your logbook either, in general).

There is no harm in pasting a photocopy of an old endorsement in the new
logbook.

There is great benefit in photocopying (or scanning) your entire logbook
and putting the copy in a safe place. Logbooks do get lost. Mine was
stolen some twenty years ago. I was fortunate in that I kept a
photocopy of every page.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Old April 10th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Steve Foley wrote:
I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
with that entry.

I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.

Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
back of the new book?

Who would ever want to see it other than maybe an FBO one time so
they could record it before they rent you something that required
an endorsement?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 10th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Apr 10, 4:37 pm, "Steve Foley" wrote:
I'm due for a flight review shortly, so I figure I'll start a new logbook
with that entry.

I'm wondering what anyone else does regarding endorsements. I have a high
performance endorsement, and I don't know how I should carry it forward.

Should I photocopy the page from the old logbook and paste/tape it in the
back of the new book?

Instead of photocopying it, just scan it into a computer and save it
in a safe place. You should also think about whether you really need
to maintain a physical logbook. There is nothing wrong with keeping
the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
rating or certificate.

Old April 10th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley[_2_]

"Jose" wrote in message

I wouldn't change logbooks just because of a flight review (or even a new
rating). Just keep using the old one until you run out of pages.

I forgot to add that the old one is almost full. It's twelve years old (I
know - I don't fly enough) and I won't get another yer out of it. I figure
I'll change now, so I don't have to keep crossing out the '19' at the top of
the year column.

Old April 11th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 4/10/2007 5:12:20 PM, "Andrew Sarangan" wrote:

There is nothing wrong with keeping
the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
rating or certificate.

Yep, that's what I have been doing for the last three years using Logbook
Pro. Beats having to total all columns after every seven to ten flights or
so. I have a physical endorsement sheet that I use for biennials and
WINGs-related needs.

Someday I might even get around to printing the majority of the log on
logbook sized paper for convenient glances.

--
Peter
Old April 11th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

There is nothing wrong with keeping
the record electronically, especially if you are not working towards a
rating or certificate.

Yep, that's what I have been doing for the last three years using Logbook
Pro.

Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 11th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

"Peter R." wrote in message
Someday I might even get around to printing the majority of the log on
logbook sized paper for convenient glances.

--
Peter

Not wanting to hijack the thread. Quick message to Peter R. The natives are
out searching for you over in agmfs mate.
Crash Lander

Old April 11th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 01:04:00 GMT, Jose
wrote in :

Yanno, there's just something visceral about turning the pages of a real
logbook, with actual ink on paper entries carefully penned over the
course of many flying years.

It's like the difference between a genuine celebrity signature penned
in their own warm hand, and a the name of the celebrity printed on a
page by a cold, mechanical printing press.

Cryptic notations from flight instructors past, sweat stained pages
from soaring in the desert heat, an FBO receipt laid-in with "Ok to
solo" scrawled across it. these subtle obscurities and more chronicle
the years with cryptic nostalgia....

The drudge of totaling columns and arithmetic errors be damned. Give
me a tangible tome in which to tally my time spent navigating the
third dimension. :-)
Old April 11th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

Fair enough. However, I am afraid my relatively young age (42) for and late
start to aviation have already caused me to miss the true golden age of
aviation (as I alluded to in another thread). Thus to me there is no
difference between reading my entries in cold, black&white versus actual ink.

Oh, pshaw. Just because your age is the answer to the universe won't
prevent you from acquiring a taste for parchment. Besides, you're young
- it will take you six more years before you're thirty.

(hex.)

I suppose if you haven't been flying much, you don't =yet= have a
logbook that holds all these memories, but if you start now, you =will=
amass such a tome, and in your "old age" it will bring you great
satisfaction.

Besides, you can read it when the GPS goes TU.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.

Electronic Logbooks daniel.bascomb Piloting 19 December 21st 06 09:42 PM
Falsified logbooks? Close to home... Dave S Owning 1 April 6th 06 10:40 PM
Logbooks? der flieger Products 0 April 13th 05 02:44 PM
best online or software based private pilot logbooks der flieger Products 0 April 13th 05 02:43 PM
NR abbreviation in logbooks Jeremy Lew Piloting 11 November 19th 03 04:46 PM