I'm going to be in Colorado this summer

Old April 3rd 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default I'm going to be in Colorado this summer

I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be staying
in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

Old April 3rd 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ZikZak

On Apr 3, 9:08 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be staying
in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

The nearest airport is Leadville; Dan who runs the FBO is a fantastic
guy, and there's nowhere better to do mountain flying.

Old April 3rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote:
I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be
staying in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

The nearest airport is Leadville; Dan who runs the FBO is a fantastic
guy, and there's nowhere better to do mountain flying.

Thanks, I just got off the phone with him and he does indeed sound like a
nice guy.

Old April 4th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Newps wrote:
Head north to Idaho and Montana. Schafer Meadows and Moose Creek, not
to be missed.

Agreed.

Schafer :
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id25.htm
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id67.htm

Moose :
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id58.htm
http://members.cox.net/jgalban/id59.htm

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 4th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
wrxpilot

wrote:

I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be staying
in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

The nearest airport is Leadville; Dan who runs the FBO is a fantastic
guy, and there's nowhere better to do mountain flying.

Agreed, that's a cool airport. My friend Wes flys out of there and
took me up last October. Here's some pics to drool over:
http://good-times.webshots.com/slide...54350809AXsFjQ

Old April 4th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"wrxpilot" wrote

Agreed, that's a cool airport. My friend Wes flys out of there and
took me up last October. Here's some pics to drool over:
http://good-times.webshots.com/slide...54350809AXsFjQ

Nice pictures. Good slideshow program, too!

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 4th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

wrote:
I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be
staying in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

The nearest airport is Leadville; Dan who runs the FBO is a fantastic
guy, and there's nowhere better to do mountain flying.

Thanks, I just got off the phone with him and he does indeed sound like a
nice guy.

Leadville is a great choice. It has a very high density altitude
(probably in excess of 15000 ft in summer), but has very long runways
so it shouldn't really be a safety concern. But it does not really
qualify as mountain flying because it sits in a flat valley, but some
very exciting mountain airports such as Glenwood Springs (GWS) are not
very far away.

Old April 4th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in message
I'm going to be out in Colorado this summer and would like to do some
mountain flying and maybe get my BFR done at the same time. I'll be
staying in Breckenridge but I can drive down to Denver if I have to.

Any suggestions?

Head west to Leadville and then follow the Arkansas River south to Salida.
From there, head west through Monarch Pass, through the Black Canyon of the
Gunnison to my old digs in Montrose.

Matt Barrow

Old April 4th 07, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

ZikZak wrote:
[...]

6400 x 75. And there are markers that if you're not at rotation speed,
pull the power! You have *just* enough runway left to stop.

As for being mountain flying, Andrew's right. It's more appropriately
considered "high altitude airport" flying. But the town of Leadville
is also fun, altho devoted to tourists. But then, so is the entire
Summit County (Breck, ABasin, Keystone, Frisco, Silverthorne, etc).
While you're at Breck, have dinner at the Minturn Country Club (no
ties or suits needed).

And definitely go to Glenwood Springs. Remember to bring a swim suit
for the hot springs.

260hp Pawnee towing at Salida, Colorado for 2k5 summer Stewart Kissel Soaring 4 February 3rd 05 02:08 AM
Tow pilot for summer h123_321 Soaring 0 May 29th 04 07:06 PM
Options in Summer of '45 Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 December 24th 03 04:15 PM
Plan on it for next summer! Jay Honeck Piloting 5 September 12th 03 11:01 PM