Piper Cub Vs F-15

Old June 29th 04, 05:13 PM
Emilio

Default Piper Cub Vs F-15

It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

Emilio.

Old June 29th 04, 05:19 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:13:15 -0500, "Emilio"
wrote:

It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

Emilio.

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another. The J-3 would be cruising at 65-75 MPH while
the 172 might be doing closer to 120-140.

Since the Eagle can come over the fence on landing at 130 KIAS or
thereabout, it isn't too tough to dump flaps and throw up the barn
door, then load up the big engines to hang on them at low speed. Not
comfy, but easily doable.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 29th 04, 05:21 PM
Ron

From: "Emilio"
Date: 6/29/2004 12:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time
It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

Emilio.

Its actuallly about a C-172 getting intercepted, about a 110 knot airplane.
Still pretty slow though.
Guess we would need one of the eagle drivers to chime in...

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

Old June 29th 04, 05:25 PM
John Mullen

"Emilio" wrote in message
It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

That was more to do with the poor planning and complacency of the pilots
than the FBW system.

John

Old June 29th 04, 06:28 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

Old June 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:28:43 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
.. .

First, lets note that a Piper Cub (usually a J-3) is one thing and a
Cessna 172 is another.

Actually, I think you'll find a Piper Cub is always a J-3.

While a "Piper Cub" may not be a Taylorcraft or an Aeronca, I've seen
it applied quite comfortably to a J-4 and (IIRC) J-6. They probably
had a proper corporate nomenclature, but as canvas-sided,
tail-dragging, Continental-powered, products of Piper Aircraft, they
pretty much got stuck with the moniker.

I got my first flying lessons and solo hours in a J-3 and wish
fervently that I owned one today. Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

Got my first (student) license supension and grounding flying a PA-22
Colt. And passed my Private license check flight in a PA-18 Super
Cub--damn complex, it had a radio and flaps!

Old June 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Mike

"John Mullen" wrote in message
"Emilio" wrote in message
It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that

low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

That was more to do with the poor planning and complacency of the pilots
than the FBW system.

John

The pilots had a) ignored the 'low altitude' warning, b) thought they were
flying at 100 feet rather than the actual 30, and c) hadn't anticipated or
allowed for the delay in pushing the throttle and the engines actually
responding.

Old June 29th 04, 07:40 PM
Greasy Rider @ Invalid.com

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:53:35 -0600, Ed Rasimus
proclaimed:

Not much good for travel, but it was
easy to "dance the sky" and the yellow aero-doped wings were pretty
easy to "laughter-silver."

"laughter-silver." is a term I'm not familiar with. Care to enlighten
me?
Old June 29th 04, 07:47 PM
George Z. Bush

"Emilio" wrote in message

It is hard to believe that F-15 can fly formation with Piper Cub.

http://www.pipercubforum.com/intercep.htm

Only for the split second it takes for the Eagle to overrun the Pooper. At all
other times, it's either rapidly overtaking or rapidly leaving the Pooper in its
dust. (^-^)))

George Z.

Old June 29th 04, 08:04 PM
Alan Dicey

Emilio wrote:

Do F-15 fly by wire system prevent the aircraft from stalling at that low
speed? Last time I saw an aircraft with fly by wire system did such a
stunt, Airbus plowed right in to the forest at the end of the forest!

The F15 does not have what avionics people think of as fly-by-wire. In
fly-by-wire the control surfaces are moved by the computer alone, which
integrates control inputs (pilots suggestions) with the aircrafts
position in the flight envelope (the sensed environment). In
fly-by-wire there is no mechanical connection between the pilot and the
control surfaces. The F-15 has hydromechanical connections between the
pilots controls and the ailerons, stabilators and rudders.

What the F-15 does have is a stability augmentation system.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...raft/f-15e.htm

The first production fly-by-wire aircraft was the F-16.