dam busters

Old February 20th 04, 02:43 PM
Rich

(Rich) wrote in message . com...
(Marc Reeve) wrote in message
Apparently they blew off one floodgate and damaged another.

The dam, however, remained intact.

-Marc

Nice photo. The gates were the targets, not the dam itself.

Rich

from my post of 15 Oct 02

Eight AD-4 Skyraiders from the USS Princeton (CV-37), 5 from VA-195
and 3 from VC-35, led by Cdr R.C. Merrick (CAG19) carrying Mk 13
aerial torpedoes were launched on 1 May 1951 to attack the Hwachon
dam. They were escorted by 12 F4U-4 Corsairs from VF-192 and VF-193
armed with VT fuzed bombs for suppression. The attack began at
approximately 1130 hours (local) with the Corsairs making their
suppression runs. The Skyraiders made their attacks in pairs. All
eight torpedoes were dropped. One ran erratic; one was a dud. The
remaining six hit their intended target, the dam's sluice gates,
destroying one and putting a ten-foot hole in a second.

The attack was made because of 8th Army's concerns that the CCF would
be able to control the depth on the Pukhan and Han Rivers ... opening
the sluice gates and flooding the rivers t protect themselves ...
closing the gates and lowering river levels to facilitate their own
attacks.

8th Army had faced the situation before. In January ‘51 attacks by
USAF B-29's failed to damage the sluice gates. Although another
strike was requested, Far East AF considered the dam to be impervious
and rejected the request. In early April, 8th Army's concerns became
real when the CCF opened the sluice gates and flooded the Pukhan
River, raising the water level several feet within one hour, washing
away one engineer bridge and damaging another. On April 16th, 8th
Army captured the dam, but engineers were unable to jam it's sluice
gates open. The CCF counterattacked in force and 8th army forces
driven away from the reservoir.

On 30 April six AD-4's from VA-195 had tried to take out the sluice
gates with 2000 lb bombs. While blasting a hole in the dam, they were
unable to damage the sluice gates. The attack of 1 May was the
successful follow up to that day's disappointment. VA-195 proudly
carries the name ‘Dambusters' as a result of this action.

Regards,

Rich

Google Home - - Business Solutions - Services & Tools - Jobs, Press, &
Help

Old February 20th 04, 09:05 PM
Peter Kemp

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 04:21:51 GMT, Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
(B2431) wrote:

Hey, watch the dam language.

Sorry, I've been under a lot of pressure lately.

Great, one bad joke trigger another, and then the floodgates open.

Peter Kemp
Old February 20th 04, 11:11 PM
Dave Kearton

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
news | In article ,
| Peter Kemp wrote:

| Great, one bad joke trigger another, and then the floodgates open.
|
| Considering the subject of the thread, maybe we should just skip it.
|
| --
| cirby at cfl.rr.com

This is so sad, I didn't even _see_ Peter's joke until I saw Chad's
response - it IS saturday morning here, you know ...

It tends to put a different spin on things

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old February 21st 04, 06:23 AM
John Cook

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:46:52 +1300, "Errol Cavit"
wrote:

.. .

(B2431) wrote:

Hey, watch the dam language.

Sorry, I've been under a lot of pressure lately.

Great, one bad joke trigger another, and then the floodgates open.

It's bad when things go over the top.

Don't be such a Mohne, or your Ruhr the day you mentioned it.

How low can you get!!..

Cheers

Old February 21st 04, 10:38 AM
Ken Duffey

Peter Stickney wrote:

(B2431) wrote:

Hey, watch the dam language.

Sorry, I've been under a lot of pressure lately.

Great, one bad joke trigger another, and then the floodgates open.

Man, that's, like, deep.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster

I don't suppose any of you guys from overseas ever saw a great ad put out
in the UK by Carling Black Label ??

Carling makes a lager beer - and the thrust of their ads at the time had
someone doing some spectacular stunt or achieving something - all had the
punchline 'I bet he drinks Carling Black Label'

For instance, they had a good-looking guy driving a Ferrari, surrounding by
gorgeous girls etc etc - all done with consumate ease. His jealous mates
would grudgingly admire him - with the line- 'I bet he drinks.........etc'

Anyway, Carling put out an ad showing a German guard patrolling the top of
the Moehne dam on a cold night. He hears the sound on an aircraft....

In the Lancaster we see the RAF crew preparing to drop the mine, there is a
voiceover in a typically clipped British accent over the intercom (with a
crackling, echo sound) - "OK skipper, steady, left a bit, steady, down a
bit - bombs away".

The bomb is dropped and bounces towards the dam.........

The German guard on the dam ramparts, puts his rifle down, and as the bomb
bounces towards him, puts his hands up and palms the bomb away - like a
goalkeeper pushing the ball over the net!

This happens two or three time - as he 'saves' the dam - then comes the
punchline 'I bet he drinks Carling Black Label' !!!!!

The ad was very well made - in B&W - with wartime/training footage of the
bomb etc - all very real looking. In fact so real, that when you first see
it, it looks like a documentary - up until the guard palms the bomb away!!!

The very last bit of film shows the Lancaster climbing away - and bomb
aimer - without his mask on - talking in that same clipped voice that you
heard over the intercom - the joke being that he really does talk like that
!!!

(try talking into your cupped hands in a British wartime accent to create
the effect of an intercom and you will get what I mean)

The ad ran for only a few weeks - the veterans associations complained and
it was withdrawn.

Ken Duffey - Flanker Freak & Russian Aviation Enthusiast
Flankers Website -
http://www.flankers.co.uk/