Cobra jack warning

Old June 25th 04, 02:34 PM
Andy Durbin

Default Cobra jack warning

If you have a new Cobra trailer you may wish to inspect your tongue
jack. The handle is fixed to the worm stem by means of a roll pin.
If the roll pin comes out the handle falls off and the inside of the
jack, including the wheel, will fall out of the outer casing and
contact the road.

I recovered enough bits from the previous mile of roadway and added
bits from the local hardware store to get my jack working for the
contest. I'll probably have to replace the whole thing when I get
home.

Andy (GY)
Old June 25th 04, 09:47 PM
Nolaminar

Depending on the trailer tongue, it may be best to remove the jack/crank for
towing.
But on some older models, the hand brake machansim extends below and the
wheel can offer some protection.
They often tend to unwind when traveling.
GA
Old June 27th 04, 03:53 PM
TomnKeyLargo

Cobra makes it so you can take it off while traveling. If you leave it on, its
your own fault, so you gets what you get, a bent rim, unrollable tire, or what
Andy got. Take it off and store it while traveling, I do. Oh, I did bend a rim
while leaving it on once, daaaaaaa never again. # 711.
Old June 28th 04, 01:49 PM
Mike McCarron

I damaged the trailer jack a bunch of years ago when
it wound itself down while doing 65 mph. Since then
I just bungee it up while on the road and no problem.

MC

Old June 28th 04, 08:11 PM
Chip Bearden

I've never had a problem in 25 years of Komet and Cobra jacks (why am
I tempting fate by saying this????). I crank up the wheel with the
handle and tighten it...hard. I raise the jack post and secure that
handle...hard. It does provide some protection for the hand brake
mechanism that protrudes below the tongue on some trailers.

But that's if I do it. If I'm entrusting the task to my crew, I tell
them to just remove it and throw it in the van. Years ago my wife
tightened the retaining handle to her satisfaction but the jack
loosened and dropped. I replaced the melted wheel with a hardware
store version. According to her, the smoke from the dragging wheel
caused passing motorists, and her, to think the car was on fire.

Chip Bearden