Would this AI work ?

Old November 1st 05, 04:25 PM
Scott Moore

Default Would this AI work ?

This appeared in the latest issue of AOPA Pilot:

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php

Its an all electronic ADI with EFIS display. They say they are
currently engaged in certification. What do you guys think about
the prospects for use as a primary AI for a standard airplane like
my 172N ?

I emailed them, they said it would be ok after they get certified.

This seems a damm sight better than my idea to upgrade to an
electric AI. Its fully self contained, having its own inertial
and GPS guidance, and even has a mangemometer for compass heading
that is gyro stabilised.

These things work internally by having accellerometers to sense
direction change, then use the GPS to "upright" the inertial
calculation, which is one reason why it needs a built in GPS.

This means it has no rotating parts whatever, cannot spill, etc.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Good does not always win. But good is more patient.
Old November 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Marco Leon

I wouldn't count on the certified version retaining the $2,800 price tag...

MArco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 1st 05, 08:04 PM
Scott Moore

Marco Leon wrote On 11/01/05 11:58,:
I wouldn't count on the certified version retaining the $2,800 price tag...

MArco Leon

Yea, I was wondering about that.

Old November 1st 05, 09:01 PM
paul kgyy

This is one of the reasons I've been holding off on backup AI
installation - this has to be the shape of the future.

Old November 2nd 05, 02:24 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/1/05 11:25 AM, in article , "Scott
Moore" wrote:

This appeared in the latest issue of AOPA Pilot:

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php

Its an all electronic ADI with EFIS display. They say they are
currently engaged in certification. What do you guys think about
the prospects for use as a primary AI for a standard airplane like
my 172N ?

I emailed them, they said it would be ok after they get certified.

This seems a damm sight better than my idea to upgrade to an
electric AI. Its fully self contained, having its own inertial
and GPS guidance, and even has a mangemometer for compass heading
that is gyro stabilised.

These things work internally by having accellerometers to sense
direction change, then use the GPS to "upright" the inertial
calculation, which is one reason why it needs a built in GPS.

This means it has no rotating parts whatever, cannot spill, etc.

Ask me who created the airplane icons used in the displays. I think if
you ask them, you might be able to get an icon customized to your plane
model.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old November 7th 05, 07:06 PM
Andrew Gideon

paul kgyy wrote:

This is one of the reasons I've been holding off on backup AI
installation - this has to be the shape of the future.

Another reason being that at least some "backup AIs" tumble. That makes it
unsuitable as a TC replacement, even if only in my opinion grin.

- Andrew

Old November 7th 05, 10:56 PM
Scott D

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 08:25:24 -0800, Scott Moore
wrote:

This appeared in the latest issue of AOPA Pilot:

http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php

Its an all electronic ADI with EFIS display. They say they are
currently engaged in certification. What do you guys think about
the prospects for use as a primary AI for a standard airplane like
my 172N ?

I emailed them, they said it would be ok after they get certified.

This seems a damm sight better than my idea to upgrade to an
electric AI. Its fully self contained, having its own inertial
and GPS guidance, and even has a mangemometer for compass heading
that is gyro stabilised.

These things work internally by having accellerometers to sense
direction change, then use the GPS to "upright" the inertial
calculation, which is one reason why it needs a built in GPS.

This means it has no rotating parts whatever, cannot spill, etc.

When Blue Mountain had an office here in COS, I got to go in and see
this thing actually work. It was real nice. But I got the impression
that they were not going to seek certification anytime soon due to the
amount of money it was going to cost them to get it certified. They
seemed happy to sell it to experimental aircraft and I believe that
there are a few planes around my area that went through the process of
getting STC'd but they are for VFR use only.

Scott D.
Old November 8th 05, 12:10 AM
Scott Moore

wrote:

[...]

Their web site says they are working on certification, and plan on 2006
to finish that. They told me by email that it was costing them a lot.