Roster of USN ships in S Asia relief effort ?

Old January 7th 05, 12:12 AM
Arved Sandstrom

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
Jack Linthicum wrote:

There are specialty "rough terrain" forklifts, we used them multiple
years ago on pipelines and I would assume the product is still
available.

That's what the USMC TRAMs are.

I have been duly informed. I had a brainfart, considering that I've seen
these big forklifts myself...just not recently.

AHS

Old January 7th 05, 05:17 AM
Jim McLaughlin

Brain fart or yet another hangover?

I mean, it ain't hard to miss these suckers, unless you were :

(A) too drunk; or,

(B) like your fellow CanuckistanI, Skelton, a background faker.

Those are the only two possibilities.

Which are you?

-- Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key.
Remove the obvious from the address to reply.

************************************************** *************************
"Arved Sandstrom" wrote in message
"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 7th 05, 11:16 AM
Arved Sandstrom

"Jim McLaughlin" wrote in message
Brain fart or yet another hangover?

I mean, it ain't hard to miss these suckers, unless you were :

(A) too drunk; or,

(B) like your fellow CanuckistanI, Skelton, a background faker.

Those are the only two possibilities.

Which are you?

OK, Perfect Man, I'll make you happy. I just got out of the pen after doing
hard time, and am back to doing Dilaudids and crack cocaine, beating up my
girlfriend and her kids, and juggling my schedule - how to sandwich the
convenience store robberies in between the parole officer visits.

Seriously, you anal berk, why don't you take a break from personal attacks?
I don't need them - not on newsgroups and not to my email. I don't give a
flying f**k whether you like me or not, because I don't intend to have you
over as a houseguest any time soon, but it's getting somewhat tiresome to be
continually subjected to insults. I don't take kindly to having my sobriety
questioned, so I suggest you don't visit Nova Scotia, ever, and let me know
where you're staying. And, yes, by this point in time you have seriously
tried my patience, so that's a threat - go ahead and call the local cops or
RCMP. For the Halifax Detachment OIC of the latter, just call
1-902-490-6883. For the police, 1-902-490-5020 is a good start.

You missed the third possibility, idiot. One is maybe not a combat engineer
and the only forklifts one maybe practically ever saw were the smaller ones
that can't negotiate rough ground. I recall the latter because we used them
during VERTREP's. I wasn't associated with loading cargo, I don't know how
many heavy forklifts got put onto amphibs, I didn't go into vehicle storage
spaces...I was familiar with with my berthing space, the head, the mess, the
ship's store, the welldeck, the flight deck, and the uppermost topside, and
how to get from one to the other. Well, some operational spaces, too, like
the SACC, and where the officers and chiefs lived. I don't remember seeing
heavy forklifts on any ship I was on - is the point becoming clear? Were
some present - possibly. I sure as hell wouldn't have seen them while
floating ashore on a landing craft or hovercraft or LCVP, nor would I have
seen them while being with an artillery battery, nor would I have seen them
while being with an infantry unit.

When I said brainfart, I meant that I know that big forklifts exist, because
I've seen them in civilian life, and it's a reasonable assumption that the
military has them too. I just don't recall seeing them aboard ship. Plain
enough? Doesn't mean they weren't there.

Start attacking arguments and not attacking people. If you can get *my*
goat, you're a piece of work. I hope to God you're not married with
kids...they must suffer.

AHS

Old January 7th 05, 12:25 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Arved Sandstrom wrote:

snip nor would I have
seen them while being with an artillery battery, snip

You might have if you hadn't switched horses. Canadian M109 batteries
have had two RTFLs each since around 1990.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old January 7th 05, 01:41 PM
Peter Skelton

Hey, Jimk

1) AHS is a recovering alcoholic. You, apparently, are a aspiring
asshole.

2) There's a gentleman around here who accuses people of his own
faults. There are folks around who buy into hs distortions. It's
an easy test for idiocy. You made it, congratulations.

Peter

************************************************* **************************
"Arved Sandstrom" wrote in message
"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 7th 05, 04:18 PM
Fred J. McCall

"Arved Sandstrom" wrote:

:"Jim McLaughlin" wrote in message

:I hope to God you're not married with
:kids...they must suffer.

More importantly, do we REALLY want this one reproducing?

Old January 7th 05, 08:28 PM
Arved Sandstrom

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message
Arved Sandstrom wrote:

snip nor would I have
seen them while being with an artillery battery, snip

You might have if you hadn't switched horses. Canadian M109 batteries
have had two RTFLs each since around 1990.

What are they used for, specifically? I'd assume ammo distribution, but I
could be wrong. We weren't quite that fortunate in 10th Marines - *we* were
the rough terrain forklifts. One tends to become rather athletic on an M198
gun section, at least until that point in time where you wreck a knee or
throw out your lower back.

AHS

Old January 7th 05, 09:58 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Arved Sandstrom wrote:

What are they used for, specifically? I'd assume ammo distribution, but I
could be wrong. We weren't quite that fortunate in 10th Marines - *we* were
the rough terrain forklifts. One tends to become rather athletic on an M198
gun section, at least until that point in time where you wreck a knee or
throw out your lower back.

Ammo handling. We intended to shoot *lots* of bullets in short periods
and if you were deployed close to a dump IAW the CFSP then you could
likely not move ammo in the quantities you needed without an RTFL
unless you didn't care about things like the track plan.
Old January 9th 05, 12:57 PM
Jack Linthicum

Tank Fixer Jan 8, 6:12 pm

We did the high end, 30 inch 40 foot thick wall iron pipe weighs out at
200 pounds a foot. Probably the 6K now, ie a mid size vehicle.