Dubya / Kill Devil Hills irony

Old December 17th 03, 03:54 PM
Bart

Default Dubya / Kill Devil Hills irony

I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.

I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
one isnt totally prohibitive.

Bart

Old December 17th 03, 04:49 PM

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 09:54:53 -0500, Bart wrote:

I wonder is he's really aware

Nope, not based on what I've seen and read about him. Poor sod.

Dave Blevins
Old December 17th 03, 05:57 PM
Jim Carriere

"Bart" wrote in message
I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.

I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
one isnt totally prohibitive.

I guess the replica is exempt?

Old December 18th 03, 12:56 AM
Bart

According to the wording of the Notam, the replica would not have been
able to take off because it doesnt contain a transponder. I know this
is a picayune detail, its pretty funny.

In fact though Dubya was long gone before they attemped a take off, so
I suspect the TFR had been cancelled.

Real shame they didn't get it off the ground. It was fun rooting
for them.

Old December 18th 03, 03:39 AM
Micbloo

I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little.

Did he fly in on Marine 1?
Old December 18th 03, 03:48 PM
Bart

Yep.

Micbloo wrote:

Did he fly in on Marine 1?

Old December 19th 03, 02:02 AM
Micbloo

Yep.

Thanks
Old December 20th 03, 03:57 AM
John Roncallo

Jim Carriere wrote:

"Bart" wrote in message

I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little. I wonder is he's really aware of how much impact he had
on GA and the people trying to get in and out of there.

I did notice that unlike the routine presidential TFR notams, this
one isnt totally prohibitive.

I guess the replica is exempt?

According to AOPA, they had worked out a special exemption just for the
replica. It would have been real cool if they said No cant fly it TFR.

J. Roncallo

Old December 20th 03, 04:02 AM
John Roncallo

Micbloo wrote:

I'm watching the President's speech on CNN now at Kill Devil Hills.
The fact that there's a _huge_ TFR surrounding the area bothers me
a little.

Did he fly in on Marine 1?

Flew in with Marine one supported with another VH-3D and three VH-53E's.
A Coast Guard HH-60J was also hovering in the area.

John Roncallo

Old December 20th 03, 05:43 PM
Micbloo

Flew in with Marine one supported with another VH-3D and three VH-53E's.
A Coast Guard HH-60J was also hovering in the area.

Thanks. That's always a cool thing to see. I was on Staten Island (NYC) about
13/14 years ago when Daddy Bush came in for a fund raiser. They had two VH-3s
and three Sea Knights (VH-46s?) and two NYPD 412s in the area. Very impressive
display.

Gerard