what's a good country for a homebuilt aircraft?

Old September 19th 03, 02:07 PM
Lukas

Default what's a good country for a homebuilt aircraft?

Hello group,

this may be a bit of an odd question.

I currently live in the Netherlands and I'm looking to relocate.
I've long wanted to learn to fly and build a light (experimental and/or
ultralight) airplane and I'm wondering which countries would be well suited
for that, economically and with regards to permits/licenses.

Is the topic of learning to fly / acquiring a license better seen
separately from the topic homebuilding / owning an airplane?

I have a couple of cliche ideas about what may be good locations but I
thought I'd raise the question because there might be choices I haven't
considered.

TIA,

Lukas

Old September 19th 03, 02:59 PM
Ed Wischmeyer

I currently live in the Netherlands and I'm looking to relocate.
I've long wanted to learn to fly and build a light (experimental and/or
ultralight) airplane and I'm wondering which countries would be well suited
for that, economically and with regards to permits/licenses.

The US seems to be in the lead, but the Australian regulations just
loosened up a whole lot. Don't know about the relative cost of living,
taxes, and all that, or where the kits, fuel, etc, are cheaper. US
insurance and liability are out of control, though. Maybe somebody else knows.

Ed Wischmeyer
Old September 19th 03, 03:12 PM
Pete

Canada is good to us homebuilders. The only downside is the $0.70 Canadian
dollar.

We have an 'advanced ultralight' regulatory category which is a real
loophole for heavy two-passenger 'ultralights' - which are actually anything
under 1200lbs. Licensing for these can be a Rec pilot permit or
Ultralight-instructor rating.

For a homebuilt 1200lbs our regs are simlar to the US, but without the
liability issues, one extra pre-closeout inspection and the Rec pilot permit
makes life easier to fly anywhere in Canada with 1 passenger, non-complex,
day VFR only.

Cheers,
Pete
Europa A239

Old September 19th 03, 03:21 PM
Lukas

Ed Wischmeyer wrote in
:

I currently live in the Netherlands and I'm looking to relocate.
I've long wanted to learn to fly and build a light (experimental
and/or ultralight) airplane and I'm wondering which countries would
be well suited for that, economically and with regards to
permits/licenses.

The US seems to be in the lead, but the Australian regulations just
loosened up a whole lot. Don't know about the relative cost of living,
taxes, and all that, or where the kits, fuel, etc, are cheaper. US
insurance and liability are out of control, though. Maybe somebody
else knows.

Thanks Ed,

if I'm not mistaken the US knows the category "Experimental Aircraft" for
homebuilts. Am I right to assume that category exists in Australia as well?
I'm wondering if an equivalent category exists somewhere in Europe, as both
US and Australia are relatively difficult for me (EU citizen).

Insurance (and liability), is that the biggest cost factor in owning a
homebuilt plane? If you compare home-building to buying a used production
aircraft, are the insurance costs a lot higher for homebuilts?

Old September 19th 03, 03:36 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On 19 Sep 2003 14:21:56 GMT, Lukas wrote:

Insurance (and liability), is that the biggest cost factor in owning a
homebuilt plane? If you compare home-building to buying a used production
aircraft, are the insurance costs a lot higher for homebuilts?

Both are only high if they catch you. :-)

Seriously, I suspect insurance doesn't cost that much different than
elsewhere. I pay ~$450/year for liability coverage, and not-in-flight hull
and in-flight hull would each run about 1.5% of the value of the airplane
per year.

And, as has been discussed in this group before, the liability fears are
more of a potential than a real-world threat. Even then, it could only
potentially be a problem when you sell the airplane and if the airplane has
an accident and if you're still living in the states and if the person who
thinks they are due damages can find an attorney who'd think the odds are
good enough to justify taking the case on a contingency basis. The odds of
actually getting sued are incredibly slim.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 19th 03, 04:02 PM
Lukas

"Pete" wrote in
:

Canada is good to us homebuilders. The only downside is the $0.70
Canadian dollar.

We have an 'advanced ultralight' regulatory category which is a real
loophole for heavy two-passenger 'ultralights' - which are actually
anything under 1200lbs. Licensing for these can be a Rec pilot permit
or Ultralight-instructor rating.

For a homebuilt 1200lbs our regs are simlar to the US, but without
the liability issues, one extra pre-closeout inspection and the Rec
pilot permit makes life easier to fly anywhere in Canada with 1
passenger, non-complex, day VFR only.

Very interesting, the 1200lbs. category. In US regulations, I recall a
maximum speed in level flight for Ultralights, which was pretty low (don't
recall the precise figure, something like 60mph), but I might be mixing
something up there.
Do you know if the Canadian "advanced ultralight" category has a speed
limit?

So far, good to homebuilders: US, Canada, Australia. A bit as I expected.
Does anyone know about the conditions for homebuilders in Europe?

Old September 19th 03, 06:16 PM
Fred in Florida

Very interesting, the 1200lbs. category. In US regulations, I recall a
maximum speed in level flight for Ultralights, which was pretty low (don't
recall the precise figure, something like 60mph), but I might be mixing
something up there.
Do you know if the Canadian "advanced ultralight" category has a speed
limit?

So far, good to homebuilders: US, Canada, Australia. A bit as I expected.
Does anyone know about the conditions for homebuilders in Europe?

Lukas --

France must be pretty good, as they seem to have more homebuilts than anyone
else in Europe.

Fred in Florida

Old September 19th 03, 06:36 PM
Pete

the list of advanced ultralights acceptable here in Canada:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/ge...ncedullist.htm

just take your pick.

I don't believe there is a max speed, just a min indicated stall speed of
45mph (I think).

Cheers,
Pete
Europa builder A239

. 6.83...

Old September 19th 03, 09:07 PM
Philippe Vessaire

Le Vendredi 19 Septembre 2003 15:07
Lukas a écrit:

I currently live in the Netherlands and I'm looking to relocate.
I've long wanted to learn to fly and build a light (experimental
and/or ultralight) airplane and I'm wondering which countries would
be well suited for that, economically and with regards to
permits/licenses.

Consider France, you can have an official airport address for the
plane.
No technical inspection required for ultra light.
3 years between inspections if you built a plane
1 years between inspections if you by an homebuilt plane

Some Belgian owner do that.

By
--
minicab F-PRAZ
Philippe Vessaire

Old September 20th 03, 02:53 AM
Kevin Horton

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:12:40 -0400, Pete wrote:

[...]

Back before the events of 11 Sept 01, I would have said Canada and the US
were pretty much a toss up in terms of freedom of flying. Each had their
advantadges and disadvantages. But now I think Canada comes out ahead. No
pop-up TFRs. No TFRs around nuclear reactors or sporting events. No
security Nazis at the TSA.

Also, there is a Notice of Proposed Amendment to the Canadian Aviation
Regulations that will officially legalize hiring out the building of a
homebuilt aircraft (if it ever gets approved). See:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/RegServ/Affairs/carac/NPAs/MM/Archives/jun01/2001050.htm

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada