Burning out a Magneto Drop

Old February 28th 04, 07:48 PM

O. Sami Saydjari wrote:
I just received a booklet from TCM called "Tips on Engine Care" (a very
good book...available from TCM's website...http://www.tcmlink.com/). On
page 12 it says "Never but never attempt to "burn out" a magneto drop
with ground run-up. This 'time-honored' procedure succeeds only at the
expense of the engine's mechanical health."

Well, I was taught this time-honored way. What the book does not say is
what you are supposed to do when you get roughness in one magento. Ideas?

-Sami
N2057M, Piper Turbo Arrow III

Sounds to me like they are trying to err on the side of caution.

John Deakin's series of articles are a worthwhile read; the first is he
http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182179-1.html

Of course, you have to have an injected and instrumented (EGT and CHT) engine
to use his advice.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old February 28th 04, 08:52 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
O. Sami Saydjari wrote:

Well, I was taught this time-honored way. What the book does not say is
what you are supposed to do when you get roughness in one magento. Ideas?

If you lean aggressively during taxi and avoid full-rich descents you
probably won't have any fouled plugs to worry about (we are talking about
OWNED aircraft, right?). And then engine roughness on the mag check is
probably NOT plugs, so why abuse the engine to try and fix it?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 28th 04, 10:53 PM
Stu Gotts

Obviously not someone who is familiar with GAMI Injectors or the
Advanced Pilot Seminar where they have data to say opposite!

Contrary to what the self proclaimed gear head states here, your
engine should always be leaned when on the ground to avoid the fouling
that gives you the roughness when one mag is switched off during
runup.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:37:00 -0500, " jls"
wrote:

When you lean your engine and rev it up on the ground you are super-heating
the heads, the sparkplugs, the pistons, the valves, seats, and guides ---
just to clean a fouled plug or two by burning the lead or carbon fouling off
the electrode. It's best to clean the fouled plug. Of course, the problem
is NOT with the mag.

My instructor (who was not at all a gearhead) once did that burn-it-off
thing in a 152's O-235 Lycoming, and it wasn't long before that engine was
in the shop for new cylinders. I remember well the heat. We could feel
it and smell it coming through the firewall, and being a gearhead I knew
that THAT was not good for that engine. Besides, an aircraft revved up on
the ground can hardly cool itself, irrespective of the fact you have leaned
the **** out of it.

I haven't seen it but have heard of burning holes in pistons by overleaning.

By the mag drop you already know which set of plugs, upper or lower, and
then all you have to do is find the misfiring cold cylinder. That's easy
enough and what if the problem is a sparkplug wire or injector? You've just
managed to fry your cylinders in the hopes of getting one out of four or six
to fire.

Leaning an engine takes a little finesse. It shouldn't be done on the
ground unless you're in Denver or on a high-altitude ramp. A small fraction
of that fuel charge is cooling your heads as it evaporates and flows through
the combustion chamber and out the exhaust port. Ideally it is rich enough
to give you a perfect stoichiometric charge plus just a little for cooling.
If you burn it all by leaning you have lost your mixture's ability to
dissipate heat. In addition, some of a lean charge is burning as it
departs the combustion chamber because a lean mixture burns more slowly than
a rich one. Damned if I want my exhaust valve to glow just to clean a
sparkplug.

Old March 1st 04, 12:25 AM
Paul Folbrecht

BTW, since my FBO started using some fuel additive (sorry- I don't know
what it is offhand) they've experienced NO plug fouling. I can
corraborate that based on 30+ hours of flying since then- not one plug
fouling whereas it used to be quite common (and, yeah, we always burned
it off).

Old March 1st 04, 12:40 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

Ben, Yeah. Actually, this has not yet happened in the Piper Turbo
Arrow III that I just bought. It happened pretty frequently in the
Skyhawk Millenium that I used to rent. I am asking because the TCM
booklet seems to be pretty hard-over on NOT doing burn-out procedure.

-Sami

Old March 1st 04, 12:43 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

It's best to clean the fouled plug. Of course, the problem
is NOT with the mag.

Does that mean that you would shut your airplane down in the run up
area, get out, open the cowling (top and bottom), get out your tool box,
pull the spark plug and clean it on the spot right there? That might
look a little odd, especially at a busy airport. Perhaps I am not
understanding you correctly.

-Sami

Old March 1st 04, 01:07 AM
jls

"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message
It's best to clean the fouled plug. Of course, the problem
is NOT with the mag.

Does that mean that you would shut your airplane down in the run up
area, get out, open the cowling (top and bottom), get out your tool box,
pull the spark plug and clean it on the spot right there? That might
look a little odd, especially at a busy airport. Perhaps I am not
understanding you correctly.

-Sami

Obviously you don't work on your own airplane. Fry it if you like, and in
spite of warnings from TCM.

The previous poster talked about an additive. If you've read all that has
been said (other than some jabbering) and the two Sacramento Sky Ranch
links, you probably have a few ideas about prevention, including the legal
additive, Alcor TCP. It is an old formula quite successfully used in auto
gasoline way back when to prevent lead fouling of sparkplugs.

Old March 1st 04, 03:33 AM
O. Sami Saydjari

jls wrote:
"O. Sami Saydjari" wrote in message

It's best to clean the fouled plug. Of course, the problem
is NOT with the mag.

Does that mean that you would shut your airplane down in the run up
area, get out, open the cowling (top and bottom), get out your tool box,
pull the spark plug and clean it on the spot right there? That might
look a little odd, especially at a busy airport. Perhaps I am not
understanding you correctly.

-Sami

Obviously you don't work on your own airplane. Fry it if you like, and in
spite of warnings from TCM.

Well, I was not trying to be sarcastic, I was just asking a stratight
question about what exactly you were suggesting one do if one is running
up his plane and encountered this situation. I honestly could not tell
from your post, what alternative you were suggesting.

Other than prevention, I have not yet heard a good alternative on the
thread yet. Perhaps I am being dense.

Old March 1st 04, 06:23 AM
Jim Weir

Hey, don't worry about it. We get anal retentive engineer types in here from
time to time.

They either suck back in to the wisdom we've collected over the past few years
or have eventually disappeared back into their own wrong groups.

Welcome, if you choose to stay as a member of this group...

" jls"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old March 1st 04, 11:46 AM
Dennis O'Connor

For a fouled plug, running up and leaning is an old as old as aviation,
and very proven, method of clearing the plug I have been doing it for a
half century, works for me...
If it doesn't clear, then you taxi back in and have it serviced...
As far as all the dire warnings from the manufacturers, if you followed
their SB's to the letter, you literally would not be able to fly... Those
SB's are often cya position papers crafted by their legal department, not
engineer recommendations...

cheers ... denny

"O. Sami Saydjari"

Burning out the pitot heat? Mitty Instrument Flight Rules 3 December 30th 04 05:04 AM
Drop in and say hello Gilan Home Built 0 June 4th 04 05:12 PM
Economist: Let the dollar drop Luca Morandini Military Aviation 5 February 14th 04 05:58 PM
:-) let enola gay drop one more :-) old hoodoo Military Aviation 3 December 28th 03 05:39 PM
Ellery Queen and the Case of the Missing Magneto Gear Teeth MikeremlaP Owning 3 July 26th 03 03:01 AM