A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Almost perfect payout winch launch.

Old May 7th 13, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU
external usenet poster

Default Almost perfect payout winch launch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WDiHHgua8

Boggs
Old May 7th 13, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU
external usenet poster

If we had slowed down a little, and tightened up the tension a bit, we could have added a couple hundred more feet? What do you think about the "Payout Winch"?

Boggs
Old May 7th 13, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

I think I want one!
Old May 7th 13, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU
external usenet poster

Here's the payout launch from the glider end. The launch starts at about 3 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ga-XJ_cdw

Boggs
Old May 7th 13, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 6, 2013 10:46:40 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
If we had slowed down a little, and tightened up the tension a bit, we could have added a couple hundred more feet? What do you think about the "Payout Winch"?

Boggs

I think if you had a real winch and learned how to use it safely, you'd get a lot higher.
Old May 7th 13, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]
external usenet poster

At 14:07 07 May 2013, Bill D wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2013 10:46:40 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
If we had slowed down a little, and tightened up the tension a bit, we

could have added a couple hundred more feet? What do you think about the
"Payout Winch"?

Boggs

I think if you had a real winch and learned how to use it safely, you'd

get
a lot higher.

I think that is the most complicated and potentially dangerous method of
winch launching that I have ever seen.
I am completely sold on winching, having made over 10000 launches on many
types of winch over the years. I have to say that some of the winches I
have used, including a converted Rover car have been less than ideal, and
perhaps a little unwise, but this has to be the most foolhardy version I
have ever come across.
I would be the first to admit that there are several potential hazards in
winch launching but a system as complex as that is an accident just waiting
to happen. Please stop it guys, get a proper conventional winch if that is
the way you want to go, or go to a straight forward auto tow.

Old May 7th 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:02:14 AM UTC-5, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 14:07 07 May 2013, Bill D wrote: On Monday, May 6, 2013 10:46:40 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote: If we had slowed down a little, and tightened up the tension a bit, we could have added a couple hundred more feet? What do you think about the "Payout Winch"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WDiHHgua8 Boggs I think if you had a real winch and learned how to use it safely, you'd get a lot higher. I think that is the most complicated and potentially dangerous method of winch launching that I have ever seen. I am completely sold on winching, having made over 10000 launches on many types of winch over the years. I have to say that some of the winches I have used, including a converted Rover car have been less than ideal, and perhaps a little unwise, but this has to be the most foolhardy version I have ever come across. I would be the first to admit that there are several potential hazards in winch launching but a system as complex as that is an accident just waiting to happen. Please stop it guys, get a proper conventional winch if that is the way you want to go, or go to a straight forward auto tow.

i'm interested to hear more about your opinion. Gary's payout winch basically has built in tension control in that if, say, the glider hits a thermal on the climb, instead of the line loading up and breaking, it just lets out more line so you get to use that thermal to climb higher.

hang glider guys use payout winches a lot to launch in the flat lands.
Old May 7th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold
external usenet poster

On 5/7/2013 9:23 AM, Tony wrote:
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:02:14 AM UTC-5, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 14:07 07 May 2013, Bill D wrote: On Monday, May 6, 2013 10:46:40 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote: If we had slowed down a little, and tightened up the tension a bit, we could have added a couple hundred more feet? What do you think about the "Payout Winch"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WDiHHgua8 Boggs I think if you had a real winch and learned how to use it safely, you'd get a lot higher. I think that is the most complicated and potentially dangerous method of winch launching that I have ever seen. I am completely sold on winching, having made over 10000 launches on many types of winch over the years. I have to say that some of the winches I have used, including a converted Rover car have been less than ideal, and perhaps a little unwise, but this has to be the most foolhardy version I have ever come across. I would be the first to admit that there are several potential hazards in winch launching but a system as complex as that is an accident ju

st waiting to happen. Please stop it guys, get a proper conventional winch if that is the way you want to go, or go to a straight forward auto tow.

i'm interested to hear more about your opinion. Gary's payout winch basically has built in tension control in that if, say, the glider hits a thermal on the climb, instead of the line loading up and breaking, it just lets out more line so you get to use that thermal to climb higher.

hang glider guys use payout winches a lot to launch in the flat lands.

Their stall speed is a lot slower. I am not sure that I understand how
you could use a payout winch with a glider unless the truck is driving
at a tremendous speed.
Old May 7th 13, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:46:40 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:

Boggs

How long is the runway? With a well-built conventional winch, you can typically achieve a release height of 45-50% of the line length.

Uli
Winchmeister of the Carolina Soaring Assoc.

Old May 7th 13, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]
external usenet poster

My limited experience with launching a hang glider via a payout winch was that we only got about 1/3 of the runway length and that was with good headwind. About 900ft on a 2800ft or so runway.

Most issues and accidents with hang gliders and payout winches happen due to "lockout" when you get turned and can't recover. Without control surfaces it gets bad in a hurry.

Vehicle speeds were about the same as with a static line. 20-30mph depending on the headwind.

The launch is crazy exciting though. You're laying in your harness, on the back of a pickup racing down a runway/road. At 35mph airspeed or so (I don't remember specifics) you hit a release and pop off the truck instantly to about 20 ft, then slowly start winding out. Just like a glider ground launch, once high enough you maximize your climb angle.

When you hit thermals, the tension was pretty constant so you just surged higher as the drum let more line out.

We are working on getting our glider winch going. I will let you know how I think they compare once we have our ducks in a row and are launching with it.

Morgan

On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:52:21 AM UTC-7, GM wrote:
On Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:46:40 AM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:

Boggs

How long is the runway? With a well-built conventional winch, you can typically achieve a release height of 45-50% of the line length.

Uli

Winchmeister of the Carolina Soaring Assoc.