another crash

Old September 6th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

Default another crash

I'm not sure about the rest but all 300 and 303's has the headrest mounted on the back of the canopy rail...that also includes my 300.
Old September 6th 19, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

BTW
At least in my glider but I'm sure in just about any; in regards to the headrest blocking vision there is is no frigging way I could even twist my head to see it let alone it blocking my sight.
This unless one has a neck of a giraffe:-)
Old September 6th 19, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Charlie Quebec wrote on 9/6/2019 12:58 AM:
When I talked to my CFI just a couple of months ago he was quite insistent that having no headrest was better from a lookout point of view.

That's not true for the ASW20C I used to fly, nor the ASH26E I currently fly. Did
he mention any specifics? For example, was he thinking of pilots that adjust the
headrest so it is touching their heads during normal flight? That might interfere
with looking upwards.

Old September 7th 19, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

He felt that headrests limit lookout, and with 37,000 hours gliding and a world champion, seems uniquely qualified.
Old September 7th 19, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Examples of none canopy headrest.
DG 300. https://www.sfg-wershofen.de/verein/...0-club-d-4578/
Dg800 https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/G...irks%20DG-800S
It appears early model 300 had the canopy mounted head bashed.
Old September 7th 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

He felt that any headrest limits the movement of the head for lookout, particularly to the rear, not a matter of blocking the view as mush as limiting head movement.
He is possibly the most experienced instrauctor in the world, with 30,000 hours as a professional paid instructor, and winner of multiple world champs..
It’s been a pleasure flying with a real professional.
Old September 7th 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard DalCanto

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 6:02:37 AM UTC-6, kinsell wrote:
https://www-1.thenewstribune.com/new...234517642.html

Seems to be an unusually bad season for accidents.

My 303 has the headrest as part of the seatback, not the canopy.
Old September 7th 19, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 9/6/2019 10:16 AM, 6PK wrote:
BTW At least in my glider but I'm sure in just about any; in regards to the
headrest blocking vision there is is no frigging way I could even twist my
head to see it let alone it blocking my sight. This unless one has a neck
of a giraffe:-)

There's always one in the crowd!

Believe it or not, giraffes can turn their heads no farther than humans, since
both species have the same (7) number of neck vertebrae (or so I seem to
remember reading somewhere, somewhen).

Birds, on the other hand, are reputed to have 13 neck vertebrae, which is
allegedly why (say) owls can turn their heads 180-degrees, whereas we poor
humans and giraffes are limited to 90-degrees. Combine 180-degree range of
motion with birds/owls' quick reflexes, and thus the old wives' tale that you
can kill an owl watching you simply by walking around and around it until it
twists it head off.

Kinda makes you wonder how's come the stories of gliders being able to "sneak
up" on soaring birds in flight! There might BE something to this situational
awareness theory!

We now return to your regularly scheduled programming. You're welcome!

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 7th 19, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

The RAS thread drift light is stuck on in this thread.
Guy hit the ground hard during a botched landing.
That's what I see at least.
Nose first impacts are hard to survive.
Aviate.
Navigate.
Communicate.
Keep the speed up no matter what.
IMHO
RIP
Old September 7th 19, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

In news, some no life low life has reported me to the airworthiness authorities for removing the headrest.
It’s interesting, if a tall pilot removes the seat back with an integrated headrest to fit in the glider, that must be illegal too.
I’m waiting a response from the authority as to whether removing the head rest is allowable ot not.
I can find no reference to it in the manuals, and it’s certainly not required equipment as per the risk.
I wonder if my accuser has the guts to admit it here, or will just crawl back under their rock. Perhaps they can show their source for the claim of illegality?
I’m not holding my breath, this kind of petty pedant is a sad fact of live In the parochial backwater in which I live.
I’m pretty sure I know who it is, and the laughable thing is I know damn well if I was one of his mates, doing an illegal mod, he would have said nothing.

ASG-29 Crash [email protected] Soaring 0 September 27th 16 03:59 PM
UPS 747-400 crash D Ramapriya Piloting 0 September 4th 10 04:04 AM
Anyone know anything about this crash? [email protected] Soaring 2 July 28th 08 01:44 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 4 January 1st 07 06:30 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 04:57 PM