spaceship one

Old June 25th 04, 08:49 PM
Dillon Pyron

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:14:58 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Big John wrote:

Dan

True story.

Guy in P-51 at low altitude (10K). Opened mask and lit a cigarette.
Oxy from mask caused cigarette to flare and burned his face.

Made me nervous about the cigars I used to smoke after we got airborne
with mask open just hanging by strap.

Used the flare gun port on left side of cockpit to get the ashes out
of cockpit. Just put cigar down near the hole and flick and poof they
were gone.

Would be interesting to see the specs on cockpit of SS1. Had to have
some pressurization and probably used pressure breathing in
conjunction to keep pilot awake/alive.

Big John
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`````

Date: 6/23/2004 8:40 PM Central Daylight Time

Matt

My computer bombed so this may go as a dup?

I have thousands of hours in jet fighters breathing 100% oxy.

We had all kinds of electrical stuff in cockpit(s) and aircraft. High
power Radar, Radio's, etc., etc.
.

Big John
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:28:37 -0400, Matt Whiting
wrote:

Richard Lamb wrote:

In the aftermath of the Apollo 1 fire, NASA took a year (and $75 mil)
to redesign the space craft, mature their mental attitudes, and yes,
did come back with a much safer vehicle.

Yes, but I still wonder how anyone in their right might would use a
nearly pure oxygen atmosphere in a vehicle full of humans and electrical
equipment...

Matt

The difference is Apollo 1 was flooded with pure O2 where jet fighters push O2
from a LOX converter to a face mask. Big difference. The only electronics in
the mask is a microphone.

Having said that the electrical systems in Apollo 1 were poorly routed and
protected.
It was an accident waiting to happen.

Dan. U.S. Air Force, retired

Mike was wearing a standard military style oxygen mask, so the cockpit
had to
be pressurized. But what the cabin altitude was is anybody's guess.

Rihcard

It's all a question of partial pressure. At 29,280 feet, even 100%
oxygen is barely capable of keeping a human alive, never mind let them
do any type of serious exercise (which is why 8000 meter mountains are
so hard).

I doubt the cabin was at much higher than 15,000 feet, probably lower
than that. Which makes the bird all the more impressive, to me.
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old June 25th 04, 09:00 PM
Bill Daniels

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
news

It's all a question of partial pressure. At 29,280 feet, even 100%
oxygen is barely capable of keeping a human alive, never mind let them
do any type of serious exercise (which is why 8000 meter mountains are
so hard).

I doubt the cabin was at much higher than 15,000 feet, probably lower
than that. Which makes the bird all the more impressive, to me.
--
dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.

Not quite. At that 29,000' 100% O2 is the same partial pressure as 20% O2
at sea level. Glider pilots reach these altitudes in unpressurized cockpits
all the time. The record altitude for a glider is just under 50,000' again
with no pressurization.

Did you know that Spaceship One is registered as a glider?

Bill Daniels

Old June 25th 04, 11:15 PM
Del Rawlins

In charles.k.scott@
ddddartmouth.edu wrote:

I can remember two things that the public got their hands on that were
developed for the Space Program: Tang and a pen that works upside
down.

There was also the Temperfoam that a lot of us are using in our seat
cushions, and the emergency blanket I keep in my survival kit (pilots in
Alaska are required to carry one). Besides those examples there were
probably developments in lightweight insulation applicable to aviation
and I'd be be very suprised if the state of the art in storage batteries
wasn't advanced by the space program.

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/