please help me with identifying this acft

Old March 4th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
scott king

Default please help me with identifying this acft

I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I believe
the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of experience
identifying planes of this era. any help would be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B-25.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7691  Click image for larger version

Name:	E&B-25.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	7692
Old March 4th 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

"scott king" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I believe
the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of experience
identifying planes of this era. any help would be appreciated

It is a B-24 Liberator.

Short story and links he
http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/aprils.../memories.html

And so much more history of that era he
http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/aprils...4/oldbuck.html

You have a picture of a downed Liberator that may be historical and
precious. Value it.

Cheers,

Jim Morris via 15 minutes with www.Google.com/images

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cyr2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	7695  Click image for larger version

Name:	over_gotha.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	7696
Old March 4th 07, 06:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman[_2_] Mitchell Holman[_2_] is offline
Banned

"scott king" wrote in news:_3tGh.6343$PL.1823
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I believe
the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of experience
identifying planes of this era. any help would be appreciated

It is a B-25, the H model.

Fitted with 75 mm Cannon in nose for close
ground attack work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PBJ-1H 1945.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	7697  Click image for larger version

Name:	B25ug.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	7698
Old March 4th 07, 06:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
West Sanders

B-25
nk.net...

Old March 4th 07, 06:37 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim Morris[_2_]

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message
"scott king" wrote in news:_3tGh.6343$PL.1823
@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I believe
the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of experience
identifying planes of this era. any help would be appreciated

It is a B-25, the H model.

Fitted with 75 mm Cannon in nose for close
ground attack work.

I guess there were many aircraft with the same "nose art" names.
I thought it was a B-25 myself but all I could find on the web was this:

42-52191 LILLIE BELLE B-24H-10-FO N Ditched in North Sea 3/6/1944. One
survivor: Lt. Gerald J. Cyr

But on this aircraft the name is spelled differently. Lillie Bell.
Oh well, I tried but am normally wrong.

Jim Morris

Old March 4th 07, 07:51 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Stewart

"scott king" wrote in
nk.net:

I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I
believe the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of
experience identifying planes of this era. any help would be
appreciated

begin 666 B-25.jpg

Attachment decoded: B-25.jpg
`
end

begin 666 E&B-25.jpg

Attachment decoded: E&B-25.jpg
`
end

North American B-25 Mitchell, probably a B-25G. Only WWII aircraft to
mount a 75mm cannon in the nose.
Old March 4th 07, 09:06 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Syke

"John Stewart" wrote in message
. 3.44...
"scott king" wrote in
nk.net:

I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I
believe the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of
experience identifying planes of this era. any help would be
appreciated

begin 666 B-25.jpg

Attachment decoded: B-25.jpg
`
end

begin 666 E&B-25.jpg

Attachment decoded: E&B-25.jpg
`
end

North American B-25 Mitchell, probably a B-25G. Only WWII aircraft to
mount a 75mm cannon in the nose.

I think you'll find that the Henschel Hs 129 B-3 carried a 75mm gun in the
nose, but not very successfully.

Pat Macguire

Old March 4th 07, 09:24 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Enzo Matrix

Syke wrote:
[...]

The Mosquito XVIII carried a 6-pdr Molins gun, but that was 57mm calibre.
It gave U-boat crews something to think about, though!

--
Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Old March 4th 07, 01:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

With the twin .50s in the nose above the .75 mm cannon my vote is for a
B-25H. And the tropical background is a dead givaway for the Pacific
theater.

Interesting shot and it's always nice to see new nose art.

Brian
Old March 4th 07, 02:58 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

scott king wrote:
I have just recently discover these pictures of my great uncle. I believe
the aircraft to be a b-17 or a b-24. I don't have a lot of experience
identifying planes of this era. any help would be appreciated

This is a photograph of a Douglas Aircraft Company B-25-H, called the
"Mitchell" after General Billy Mitchell.

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-...tchell_b15.htm

This site has a good amount of info and talks about the development from
the B-18 Bolo.

This model B25 was fitted with a 75mm cannon (the large apeture on the
lower right of the nose nacelle. It is probably this design which
prompted later designers to come up with the AC-47, AC-119 and AC-130
"Gun Ships (viz.).

While the P39 Airacobra had a 37mm slow firing automatic cannon (cyclic
rate of about 4 rpm), the B25H had a gunner/loader whose job was to feed
the rounds into the modified 75mm pack howitzer.

Note that the B-17 and B-25 are four-engine aircraft whilst the B-25 is
a twin engine aeroplane.

HTH,

Dave