A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glidecoat.com Ceramic Coating for gel coat marine good for gliders?

Old March 13th 21, 07:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John[_36_]
external usenet poster

Default Glidecoat.com Ceramic Coating for gel coat marine good for gliders?

Fellow glider friends. My 6 year old Porsche just underwent its first ceramic coat treatment. The car looks brand new and is much more dirt resistant and hardly gets dirty at all. The results are amazing just how slippery and easy to clean. It is supposed to last 7 years. It is so slippery, my cats hate it and won’t jump and walk on my car anymore which makes it so worth it. I am extremely interested if anyone has tried this on a gel coat glider. Glidecoat even has an aviation formula and a boat formula designed for gel coat watercraft.
Has anyone tried it? What is the UV protection? Glidecoat name sure fits our hobby too. Any other ceramic coat brands might be better engineered for gel coat? My car was done in ceramic pro.

https://www.glidecoat.com/product/ma...ramic-coating/

Hawes
Old March 13th 21, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Reinholt
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-8, John wrote:
Fellow glider friends. My 6 year old Porsche just underwent its first ceramic coat treatment. The car looks brand new and is much more dirt resistant and hardly gets dirty at all. The results are amazing just how slippery and easy to clean. It is supposed to last 7 years. It is so slippery, my cats hate it and won’t jump and walk on my car anymore which makes it so worth it. I am extremely interested if anyone has tried this on a gel coat glider. Glidecoat even has an aviation formula and a boat formula designed for gel coat watercraft.
Has anyone tried it? What is the UV protection? Glidecoat name sure fits our hobby too. Any other ceramic coat brands might be better engineered for gel coat? My car was done in ceramic pro.

Hawes

There are several threads discussing ceramic coatings on gliders. Search google groups conversations for "ceramic coatings".
Old March 13th 21, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 1:44:06 AM UTC-5, John wrote:

Hawes

I have it on my fiberglass cobra trailer, but I can't say much since my trailer is in the hangar year around.
Old March 13th 21, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hawes

It says 18 months, not 7 years, protection and it does say protection from UV. My guess is that this is the same stuff they have been selling since the 18th century ... snake oil.
Old March 13th 21, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kenn Sebesta
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 12:56:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Hawes

It says 18 months, not 7 years, protection and it does say protection from UV. My guess is that this is the same stuff they have been selling since the 18th century ... snake oil.

The OP does sound kind of like a astroturf sales tool. No offense to you, Hawes, if you're real. But unless the search function is broken, this post is the only one in RAS ever which uses the word Hawes.
Old March 13th 21, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 9:56:31 AM UTC-8, wrote:

Hawes

Ceramic coatings are not "snake oil" - they work.

I have used this ceramic coating on my ASH31Mi:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gtechniq-...tion/246865152

Here is an AOPA video about ceramic coatings:

https://aopalive.aopa.org/detail/vid...ircraft-finish

This a video on how to apply it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64dZX4Ujdr8

Tom
Old March 14th 21, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
andy l
external usenet poster

On Saturday, 13 March 2021 at 20:02:17 UTC, 2G wrote:

They are used on offshore wind turbine blades, and on trains to aid cleaning and make graffiti easier to remove. Whether the one in the original post is similar formulation, I don't know.

Instinctively I feel the time to use this is on virgin surface after refinish, either new paint or a light sand over removing e.g. spar ripple and weave pattern etc, rather than something that's already had other treatment a few seasons.

I may be wrong. Maybe some more research or experimentation ...
Old March 14th 21, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 14, 2021 at 10:49:20 PM UTC+10, andy l wrote:
On Saturday, 13 March 2021 at 20:02:17 UTC, 2G wrote:

They are used on offshore wind turbine blades, and on trains to aid cleaning and make graffiti easier to remove. Whether the one in the original post is similar formulation, I don't know.

Instinctively I feel the time to use this is on virgin surface after refinish, either new paint or a light sand over removing e.g. spar ripple and weave pattern etc, rather than something that's already had other treatment a few seasons.

I may be wrong. Maybe some more research or experimentation ...

I watched a lot of YouTube comparisons of various waxes and coatings, including a few where they apply 30 different coatings to pieces of bonnet and leave it outside for a year to compare the results. The ceramic coats clearly are much better than the waxes we use for beading water and maintaining a sheen, but I'm not sure if that correlates to minimizing contamination (bugs), the longevity of the paint/gel or improvement in performance. Most ceramic coats are described as being less 'slippery' to the touch than their wax competitors, I wonder if this affects the adhesion of bugs or surface drag?
Old March 15th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Acheson[_2_]
external usenet poster

Being an automotive detailing junkie I can tell you that nothing beats the look and feel of a high level wax finish.
The key here is to have a base layer of ceramic coating and you are regularly applying a wax top coat for the look and feel of the ultimate love for your machine.
The benefit to the owner is that the wax top coat can be a spray and wipe system.
I have used the spray and wipe system for almost five years on my planes.
It makes removing the bugs very easy and it takes very little elbow grease.
Doesn't matter what spray and wipe wax you use. I usually buy whatever is on sale.
A very well respected sailplane repair person once told me that it doesn't really matter what wax you use, just use it regularly.
The repair people act as if everyone has used a "forbidden" product on their planes before doing repair work (ie. silicones) so that repairs will be successful.
My planes are 20+ years old and look like new.