I wish I'd never got into this...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 11th 03, 08:27 PM
Kevin Neave

Default I wish I'd never got into this...

The original question stated a glider doing 100kts
with/without 100kgs of ballast.

Ignoring the stalling speed for the moment, Does anyone
out there think the pull-up takes more than 4 or 5
seconds?

Does anyone out there think that the sink rate of the
unballasted glider at 100kts is more than 1m/s greater
than the ballasted one?

Finally does anyone out there think that the difference
in height gain for the ballasted glider is more than
4 or 5 metres?

If you think the answer to the third is Yes but the
answer to the first & second is No, please let me know
why!!

And if your answer to 'Why ?' is ''cos I've done pull-ups
higher with ballast' I want to know exact entry speed,
exact exit speed, climb angle, exact amount of ballast,
and exact heights gained with & without ballast (preferably
backed up with a logger trace!).

(And NO comparing two different gliders, just 'cos
they have the same wing section & are doing rolling
manoeuvres during the pull-up doesn't count)

:-)

Kevin