best bet under 10K

Old March 12th 06, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default best bet under 10K

I've been looking around the for-sale ads for sailplanes, and it seems
to me if I am willing to spend between ten and twenty thousand bucks,
there is a lot to choose from. There are plenty of older fiberglass
sailplanes in that range, and some decently-performing metal ships like
the 1-35. But below that, in the sub-10K category, there doesn't seem
to be much at all. Is a used 1-26 still the best bet for a pilot whose
plane-budget will not stretch into five figures?

Johan Larson

Old March 12th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bob Whelan wrote:
snips
A good place to start to learn more about the possible 'finds' of older
U.S. ship types (e.g. BG's come in various design flavors), is a copy of
the November, 1983 or July, 1987 "Soaring" magazine Sailplane Directory
issues.

Typo on the July issue...it should read July, 1997.

Regards,
Bob W.
Old March 12th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I was in this situation recently and decided on a 1-26. Figured I'd
start with a nice 1-26 and opt out of the LD arms race. The plan is
whenever the budget(and chief financial officer)allow is to get another
sailplane instead of always trying to trade up. My glider club also
has a new single seat glass ship so having access to that factored in
the decision to get a 1-26. Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

Wayne Paul wrote:
"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
I've been looking around the for-sale ads for sailplanes, and it seems
to me if I am willing to spend between ten and twenty thousand bucks,
there is a lot to choose from. There are plenty of older fiberglass
sailplanes in that range, and some decently-performing metal ships like
the 1-35. But below that, in the sub-10K category, there doesn't seem
to be much at all. Is a used 1-26 still the best bet for a pilot whose
plane-budget will not stretch into five figures?

The best way to stretch your budget is to get a partner, but failing
that, you'll have a lot of fun with a 1-26, particularly if you live in
an area where there is an active 1-26 community. My favorite in that
price range would be a nice 1-23H. It is also possible to find a decent
HP-11 or even 14 in that price range, but you'll need to be comfortable
using 90 degree flaps. Not so difficult an adaptation for power pilots,
but a glider-only pilot should get advice from someone who has actually
used 90 degree flaps, and get some instruction in a flap equipped

glider...

Johan,

I believe the most complete list of HPs can be found in the "Trading Post"
section of the Schreder Sailplane Designs web site
(
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder)

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"

Old March 12th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
The best way to stretch your budget is to get a partner, but failing
that, you'll have a lot of fun with a 1-26, particularly if you live in
an area where there is an active 1-26 community. My favorite in that
price range would be a nice 1-23H. It is also possible to find a decent
HP-11 or even 14 in that price range, but you'll need to be comfortable
using 90 degree flaps. Not so difficult an adaptation for power pilots,
but a glider-only pilot should get advice from someone who has actually
used 90 degree flaps, and get some instruction in a flap equipped glider...

As others have pointed out, the above is fixated on metal. If you have
the climate and local A&P knowledge to support a wood glider, there are
lots of options which show up on W+W periodically. I'll point out the
SZD-36 Cobra 15 in particular, first generation glass performance at a
somewhat lower price...

Marc

Old March 13th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Before rushing out, considering finding a partner and don't dismiss
importing
Visit http://www.segelflug.de/classifieds/ for some ideas. Check the
prices against US prices. Some single Astirs with trailer for about
$9000. Still a good deal after shipping.

Frank

Old March 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Bob Whelan wrote:

wrote:

But below that, in the sub-10K category, there doesn't seem
to be much at all. Is a used 1-26 still the best bet for a pilot whose
plane-budget will not stretch into five figures?

Taking your question at face value (i.e. reading nothing into your
situation, motivation, flying background, performance druthers, etc.),
if patient you'll eventually find other ships than 1-26's sub-$10K.

No need to guess. I left soaring about ten years ago because I didn't
have the funds to match my flying expectations. I had gained my licence
flying club ships, and I was at the point where I could stay up in good
conditions for the 30 and 60 minute slots that were available on them.
But it was clear that to take the next steps into soaring and early
cross-country work, I really needed a glider of my own. Not possible on
a student budget, so I drifted away.

Things are much better now, moneywise, and I am thinking of getting
back into the sport. I expect I could get back my old skills in a few
months flying club ships. But then I would be back where I was before,
needing to get a ship of my own. At the risk of whingeing, the prices
for used modern gliders ($20-30K) aren't daunting longterm, but they
are intimidating up front. I would be much happier paying $8K of so for
a glider I could use for a few years, and then trade up.

I'd suggest one or two well considered partners. Double or triple your
buying power, while cutting expenses by (nearly) the same factor. It
will still sit in the trailer most of the time. Three partners works
better if one or more can fly during the week.

Shawn
Old March 15th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
Bob Whelan wrote:

[...]

Welcome back! Whether you go the partner route or on your own, to me it
seems what you've said above is reflective of some thoughtful thinking
on your part. That's a good thing, as, FWIW, my observational - and
personal - experience has been those who know what ticks their clock and
so have a realistic grasp on what it is they hope to get from the sport,
along with a sensible expectation of such important things as time
available to devote to the activity, learning curve times, realistic
outlook on risk management/tolerance, etc., tend to be the most
satisfied in their early ship choices. IMHO, ships always have more to
teach than lower-time pilots considering purchasing them can imagine.
That's not meant to be condescending, rather it reflects the almost
unimaginably vast reservoir of information awaiting individual personal
discovery in the sky. Have fun!

Regards,
Bob W.
Old March 15th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

I left soaring about ten years ago because I didn't
have the funds to match my flying expectations.

...I am thinking of getting back into the sport.

I would be much happier paying $8K of so for a
glider I could use for a few years, and then trade up.

I was in a somewhat similar spot: early 2004, recently retired, power
flying background but new to soaring, unsatisfied with club ship
limitations, cautious with regard to investment in a new interest -- so
I bought a 1-26E. I could have found an older, even cheaper 1-26, but I
needed a D/E for pilot weight. I found a better than average example on
Wings and Wheels http://www.wingsandwheels.com/wantads1.htm, and
bought it as soon as I got over the butterflies. And I love it.

If you want something sleeker, and your Club operates only on weekends,
then having just one partner might avoid scheduling conflicts. If we
could fly any day of the week, a couple of extra wallets would
definitely be the way to go, and might even get me shopping again. But,
I'm not giving up the ability to fly whenever and as long as I want,
just to get 40/1 within a two day per week schedule.

From my experience with partnerships in powered aircraft I'd say, look
for a partner before your look for the ship. Like the soaring truism
that you buy your second glider for the trailer, the team is at least as
important as the choice of glider, I suspect. My guys were great, but I
was lucky.

I don't know if you'll find one of the better 1-26's in the US, with a
good trailer, radio, and instruments, under your ten-k limit, but you
might. But, whatever it takes, get a glider of your own and start
learning what it's all about. That's the best way, maybe the only way,
to really know where you want to go next.

Jack