Sometimes we get good press - today at noon EDT

Old July 19th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maule Driver

Default Sometimes we get good press - today at noon EDT

A local instructor here in Durham NC landed on an interstate after
engine problems. Somehow, Paul caught the crest of the local news
coverage and has been interviewed and quoted positively all week.

Today he is being interviewed on the local NPR station's "State of
Things" show. Will be available on the live feed available here 12:00 EDT:
http://wunc.org/tsot/

The byline for this interview is something like, "We'll talk to local
Flight Instructor Paul who will talk about his excellent landing on I540
the other day"

Seems like you can get it after the fact via podcast.
Old July 19th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Maule Driver wrote:

snip
The byline for this interview is something like, "We'll talk to local
Flight Instructor Paul who will talk about his excellent landing on I540
the other day"

Looks like he is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

--
Peter
Old July 19th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Peter R." wrote in message

The byline for this interview is something like, "We'll talk to local
Flight Instructor Paul who will talk about his excellent landing on I540
the other day"

Looks like he is enjoying his 15 minutes of fame.

There was a guy in Oregon in 1994-95 who landed his Tiger on Interstate 5
and enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame...until it was discovered it was his
second emergency landing on Interestate 5 in a few years, both times because
of fuel starvation.

-c

Old July 19th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

gatt wrote:

There was a guy in Oregon in 1994-95 who landed his Tiger on Interstate 5
and enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame...until it was discovered it was his
second emergency landing on Interestate 5 in a few years, both times because
of fuel starvation.

That's worth at least 30 minutes of fame, although not necessarily the kind
I would want.

--
Peter
Old July 19th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Peter R. wrote:

That's worth at least 30 minutes of fame, although not necessarily the kind
I would want.

Hmmm. That might be *worth* a -709 ride with the federales, emphasizing
preflight fuel planning?

Old July 19th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"gatt" wrote in message
There was a guy in Oregon in 1994-95 who landed his Tiger on Interstate 5
and enjoyed his 15 minutes of fame...until it was discovered it was his
second emergency landing on Interestate 5 in a few years, both times
because of fuel starvation.

Starvation? Or exhaustion?

"Fuel starvation" is usually used to describe a mechanical problem in which
fuel is present, but not getting to the engine. It's true that fuel
exhaustion will cause fuel starvation, but if the true problem is known and
is exhaustion, it's considered more correct to use that term.

Old July 19th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
until it was discovered it was his second emergency landing on Interestate
5 in a few years, both times because of fuel starvation.

Starvation? Or exhaustion?

"Fuel starvation" is usually used to describe a mechanical problem in
which fuel is present, but not getting to the engine.

Eh...that's a good question. All I know is on the last one, he just plain
ran out of gas. Not sure about the first incident.

-c

Old July 19th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

"Fuel starvation" is usually used to describe a mechanical problem in which
fuel is present, but not getting to the engine.

I always thought that the primary "mechanical problem" in this case was
a fuel selector in the incorrect position.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 19th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
. com...
"Fuel starvation" is usually used to describe a mechanical problem in
which fuel is present, but not getting to the engine.

I always thought that the primary "mechanical problem" in this case was a
fuel selector in the incorrect position.

It can be but it would be an entirely different kind of error than when the
fuel is actually exhausted. Beyond that, most pilots who starve the engine
of fuel due to a fuel selector problem do manage to figure it out before
they actually are forced to land. You don't hear of most of those "fuel
starvation" incidents, because the pilot quietly keeps it to themselves.

More common in the "starvation" category would be fuel tank vent problems,
ice in the fuel line, water in the tanks, carburetor problems, that sort of
thing.

Pete