Source Mu Metal USA

Old April 10th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Source Mu Metal USA

Anyone have a source for MuMetal for shielding a Compass?
USA please

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old April 10th 06, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HL Falbaum wrote:

Anyone have a source for MuMetal for shielding a Compass?

You don't want to shield your compass.

You can shield a speaker magnet if it is npt to close to the compass.

Having any ferromagnetic stuff near a compass is not a good idea.
Avoid magnetic fields (by proper routing of electric wires and discarding
magnets as in gps-antennae etc).

George
Old April 10th 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Kevin

It is not in their online database. I'll call and ask.

I am moving the compass in my DG 800B. It is a PAI vertical card compass on
the instrument pod cover right now, but it produces a *large*, reversed HUD
right where I want to see out! I tried making a shield for it but it didnt
help much.

I am removing the clock and putting the compass in it's place. There is so
much wiring and the panel is compact. I think I will run into electrical
field problems-=so I want to be prepared.

--
Hartley Falbaum

"Kevin Anderson" wrote in message
Aircraft Spruce has it.

Kevin Anderson
Soar 192

Old April 10th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hartley Falbaum

Hartley,
Since the root problem is glare from the compass, what about this
alternate solution:

Can you put window tint onto the front face of the compass?

The window tint film sold for car interiors may really cut the amount
of light hitting the compass markings and reflecting back out. You
could experiment with various levels of darkness.

This will probably be fine even if a little dark since you [usually]
don't fly after dark.

Chris

Old April 10th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Worth a try--
Thanks

--
Hartley Falbaum
oups.com...

Old April 12th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've seen DG-800's with grey tinted sheet plastic put in front of the
moving card compass to cut down on the reflection. It seemed to work
well. The tinted acrylic sheet material you can buy from TAP plastics
or similar. Secure with screws into the compass mounting holes. You can
still see the compass fine.

I also believe people have tried shimming the Precison moving card
compasses in their mounts, putting brass washers behind both screws on
one side to deliberately skew the compass sideways to kill the
relection. I am not sure if this even works. It also introduces a
heading error but who is going to use the compass for such precison
anyow - and since we all get our compasses swung frequently this would
of course be included on the deviation card.

I have a Precison moving card compass mounted up on the console in my
DG-303. The relection in the canopy can be significant and it was
annoying me and I had intended to do something about it, but I just got
used to it.

Darryl