SHOOT GRIEGO SHOOT

Old December 10th 03, 03:42 AM
ArtKramr

Default SHOOT GRIEGO SHOOT

SHOOT GRIEGO SHOOT

It was our first mission. We didn't know what to expect, but we expected the
worst and were ready for anything. And sure enough we got it. When you are the
newest crew in a squadron you always get stuck back in the tail end Charlie
slot…number 6 in the low flight. What's bad about that? Well for one thing
fighters approaching from 6 O'clock low hit you first because you are right in
their sights first. Secondly, you are burning more fuel than anyone else
because you have to do more throttle jockeying just to stay in formation. Well,
all went well at first. No flak, Sky was clear. We were hoping for a milk run.
Paul had completed his crew check. We had all tested our guns. The sky to the
East over Germany looked good all the way. Then we heard the intercom click on
followed by silence. We all knew that was our tail gunner Emilio Greigo because
he always clicked the intercom open than figured out what he wanted to say. It
took a second or two. Then in a calm, almost indifferent voice he intoned, "
P-51 at 6 O'clock flashing his wing lights" What the hell was that we wondered?
We didn't have to wonder long as we all felt machine gun rounds hitting us.
What Griego had identified as a P-51 was in fact an ME 109. And the flashing
wing lights were the ME's guns firing. "SHOOT GRIEGO SHOOT" we all yelled at
Griego. We were all shaken and swung our guns around looking for the ME. He
passed under us and was gone. Griego wasn't the first gunner ever to have
mistaken a 51 for an ME. From the front view they look an awful lot alike
especially with that hanging air scoop under the nose. And those holes that ME
put in us we displayed proudly as our baptism of fire and our red badges of
courage.

But this was a day that poor Emilio would never live down to his dying day.
For 40 years after, every time we all met we would all say to Griego, "P-51 at
6 O'clock flashing his wing lights" and bust into laughter. Griego would blush
red, lower his eyes and shyly say. "Aw you guys". Griego is long gone now. But
wherever he is now, I am sure he is still looking for that P-51 coming at us
low at 6 O'clock flashing his wing lights
Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 13th 03, 03:46 AM
Stephen Harding

ArtKramr wrote:

Subject: SHOOT GRIEGO SHOOT

I have? I checked my website and it was nowhere ot be found I looked and so did
Bob Mckellar and he also thought it had been posted before but neither one of
us could find it. Where aand when did you see it?. Do you remember?. Thanks for
the heads up.

Yes you did Art.

When?? I'm sorry, but you're just asking too danged
much of me on that!

SMH

Old December 13th 03, 08:16 AM
Nele VII

Who cares? I haven't read it before, so haven't many fresh lurkes to the
RAM. Just post what You mean that is interesting and don't bother about
comments of "short term memory". I am 32 Years old and it happens to me,
too, and my girlfriend that is 2 years younger constantly repeats stories
))))

Strap on, bombs away!

Nele

NULLA ROSA SINE SPINA

From: Stephen Harding
Date: 12/12/03 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time
ArtKramr wrote:

I have? I checked my website and it was nowhere ot be found I looked and

so
did
Bob Mckellar and he also thought it had been posted before but neither

one
of
us could find it. Where aand when did you see it?. Do you remember?.

Thanks
for
the heads up.

Yes you did Art.

When?? I'm sorry, but you're just asking too danged
much of me on that!

SMH

Sorry 'bout that guys. Mea Culpa. (sigh)

Old December 13th 03, 11:26 AM
Chuck

Art etal: You and Gordon and a few others told Griego stories,
including "Shoot...." in June 1998.