Narco Mk 12D display?

Old January 4th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Narco Mk 12D display?

Ron wrote:
My apologises, I cover the LDR (The intensity control) with my finger to
reduce the initial intensity of the display on power on.

Otherwise a nice set. However it resets the standby frequency to 121.9 MHz
on power on.

I have two MK12Ds and they do the same thing. I believe that is normal.
Check the Narco website. I had to do the same thing on the LED when it
was cold. I have sent both units to NARCO for R&R and very please.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 5th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:12:09 -0600, Ross wrote:

Ron wrote:
My apologises, I cover the LDR (The intensity control) with my finger to
reduce the initial intensity of the display on power on.

Otherwise a nice set. However it resets the standby frequency to 121.9 MHz
on power on.

I have two MK12Ds and they do the same thing. I believe that is normal.
Check the Narco website. I had to do the same thing on the LED when it
was cold. I have sent both units to NARCO for R&R and very please.

Go to: http://www.narco-avionics.com/
See also under MK12D/Retro handbook which makes this clearer.

david
Old January 7th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Clyde Woempner

Don't waste your money or time with a narco product, My read-outs went bad a
month after it was off warranty. I spent $700.00 for the repairs. Then the
radio quit working two years later. It was not worth spending anymore
money on it, I pulled it out and threw it in the trash. This radio, Mk12D
had less than 200 hundred hours on it. Never again will I buy a Narco
product, there products are crap. Sincerely.
Clyde Woempner
n19346

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

Old January 8th 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron

Thanks David,

I see from the manual the 'keep alive' pin is no longer used in later
models.
Does anyone know how to 'keep' the standby freq 'alive' ie not reset to
121.9.

I guess the power-on spike to the display is controlled thru the LDR
circuitry.
regards
Ron

Old January 8th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

I have heard this often. I have two MK12Ds that were originally build in
the mid 80s. I bought the plane in '96 and they worked fine. Then the #2
started going south and I sent it to Narco for R&R. They did a fine job.
Later the #1 started to loose the display and I sent it in for R&R. Now
I have two good radios and working with the factory was fine. With the
#2 repair and later problem came up just after warranty. They fixed it
under warranty. I have been satisfied.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old January 8th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mbremer216

I'll second that Ross.

I have 2 Mk 12D units, probably some of the first produced. They were in
service forever. Last year, both displays started to go and one unit was
having trouble with the auto squelch letting everything in. I took
advantage of the opportunity and sent both units back to Narco for the 12D+
upgrade. They replaced the bulk of the electronics, the displays and the
faceplates. They now not only work like new (they basically are now) but
have keep alive and 10 Com presets for my favorite channels.

The price for the 12D+ upgrade was a fraction of the cost of a new radio.
BTW, the price quoted me for a factory display replacement was a tick over
$300.

Mike

Reports from those receiving me are that the signal quality is outstanding.

"jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anyone have a source for parts (namely, the display) for a Mk 12D
rather than having the factory do it? They won't sell the part
seperatly.

Jim

I have heard this often. I have two MK12Ds that were originally build in
the mid 80s. I bought the plane in '96 and they worked fine. Then the #2
started going south and I sent it to Narco for R&R. They did a fine job.
Later the #1 started to loose the display and I sent it in for R&R. Now I
have two good radios and working with the factory was fine. With the #2
repair and later problem came up just after warranty. They fixed it under