Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Old July 25th 12, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Hello? Any oldtimers around?

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

And you know this how?

Because I actually do know how GPS works.

Irrelevant to the question asked.

And even if true, this is a problem how; by the non-existant huge numbers
of pilots getting lost or violating airspace other than TFR violations,
which is a separate issue?

Pilots rely on GPS for a lot more than just TFRs (actually, TFRs require more
than just GPS). They tend to rely upon GPS completely, even to the point of
never looking out the window. They don't realize their mistake until they hit
a mountain.

First, few GPS used for VFR will display TFRs no matter what you have; soon
but not yet for the most part.

But more importantly, where is your data that shows VFR pilots are hitting
mountains or anything else because they are staring at the GPS?

This points out another vulnerability: incorrect map data combined with a GPS,
which is even less reliable than GPS itself.

Potential vulnerabilities of GPS are irrelevant to the issue at hand.

Another point you seem to have missed is that GPS displays a map and in
VFR flight you compare what you see on the map to what you see through
the window.

GPS has no notion of maps. The GPS unit may display a map, but the map comes
from a database that is independent of the GPS receiver and may or may not be
accurate. It's important to allow for that, too.

This is a bunch of babble that boils down to a GPS displays a map.

Where the map came from is irrelvant.

Old July 25th 12, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Am 25.07.2012 08:02, schrieb Mxsmanic:
John Clear writes:

I wouldn't call an Mx an old timer. He was only around for the last
bit of the life of this group.

If you mean me, I've been posting to this group for a decade.

.... and you did all the best to help destroy the climate in this group.
so: get lost!

#m
--
"What would I do with 72 virgins? That's not a reward,
that's a punishment. Give me two seasoned whores any day."
Old July 25th 12, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Clear

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:
John Clear writes:

I wouldn't call an Mx an old timer. He was only around for the last
bit of the life of this group.

If you mean me, I've been posting to this group for a decade.

This group hasn't had much life in the past decade, so my point stands.

I've been around since before the rec.aviation split in the early 90s,
and I consider myself a newbie in these parts, compared to the real
old timers from the net.aviation days.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old July 26th 12, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Martin Hotze writes:

... and you did all the best to help destroy the climate in this group.

I'm afraid not. It was the kiddies that drove people out of the group, and I'm
not a kid.