WAAS upgrade info for Garmin 430

Old December 21st 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Stan Prevost

Default WAAS upgrade info for Garmin 430

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

cool...294 is a new winner

Our new one is 250.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0613/05924R36.PDF

Old December 21st 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Stan Prevost wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

cool...294 is a new winner

Our new one is 250.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0613/05924R36.PDF

Do I hear 249?
Old December 22nd 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Ron Natalie wrote:
Kevin Clarke wrote:
Is there any value to WAAS yet, beyond the "Gee Whiz" factor? Can I do
precision approaches with it yet?

Gives you a couple of features:

1. There are LPV approaches which have vertical guidance and DH's
a bit higher than ILS's (I think the lowest I've seen is 300').

2. Removes the condition to pick an alternate that has a non-GPS
approach you are equipped to fly.

3. The TSO mandates some nice features such as the autosequencing
of the course reversal and missed approach that the 430/530 was
previously missing.

It also gives you an advisory glideslope on non-precision approaches, so
it makes the mechanics the same for all approaches, just like an ILS.
Gives you a constant rate descent to the MAP with no level-offs,
guaranteed to be at or above all the step-down altitudes. At least the
GNS480 does this, not sure it's specified in the TSO or not.
Old December 23rd 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Paul kgyy wrote:
I called the shop today that installed my Garmin 430 and asked about
WAAS. They offered 2 approaches.
1. Get the upgrade. Cost is $1500 + $95 freight (!) + $100 to install
a different antenna. Terrain is an additional $500. Availability is
uncertain.

2. Replace the entire unit (2 years old). Antenna replacement is
still required, but terrain is only $250 extra on the new units - total
cost about $2200. New units are available now.

Living in the midwest, I'm ambivalent about the value of the terrain
info. That apparently resides on the second data card, so I assume
it's another annual fee to Jeppesen.

My shop just wrote up a tech brief on this topic. Looks like $1500 +
$200 for the new antenna installation for an average Cessna. If you're
the kind of person that tools around in the soup a lot it looks to be a
worthwhile upgrade.

It's nice to see that Garmin decided not to go ahead with the tiered
pricing model...that would have added insult to injury. After all, they
took their time getting it to market.

There have been significant changes to the TSO requirements for the coax
feedline, so depending primarily on the length of the run, you may need
to pay to install a new low-loss feedline.

The GPS unit must also be installed within about a foot laterally of the
pilot's viewing centerline (the Attitude indicator, usually) and no
lower than the lowest flight instrument. This means that both older
Beech and Cirrus drivers will need to install annunciators (more $$$).

You can get the brief at:

http://www.pennavionics.com/

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old December 23rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brad[_1_]

Kevin Clarke wrote:
Is there any value to WAAS yet, beyond the "Gee Whiz" factor? Can I do
precision approaches with it yet?

646 LPV exist as of 12/21/06. Most of the LPVs are to ~250ft unless
obstacles raise the minima. Two LPVs (PUB and DLH) have been published
wth a 200ft HAT, although NOTAMed to 250' until an internal safety
assessment document is completed(expected sometime in the spring).

By the way, even if there is no LPV procedure, with WAAS you can fly to
LNAV/VNAV minima as well.

Brad

Old December 23rd 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brad[_1_]

Ron Natalie wrote:
Stan Prevost wrote:
"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

cool...294 is a new winner

Our new one is 250.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0613/05924R36.PDF

Do I hear 249?

200...

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00125R9.PDF

check the NOTAMs before you go...

Old December 23rd 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Brad[_1_]

Ron Natalie wrote:
Kevin Clarke wrote:
Is there any value to WAAS yet, beyond the "Gee Whiz" factor? Can I do
precision approaches with it yet?

Gives you a couple of features:

1. There are LPV approaches which have vertical guidance and DH's
a bit higher than ILS's (I think the lowest I've seen is 300').

Check your own backyard! Here's a few in the NoVA area...

RMN is 254 (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/09743R33.PDF)
JYO is 258 (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/05288R17.PDF)
HEF is 298 (http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/05326R16L.PDF)

Now put that GNS 480 to work!

Old December 23rd 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

More info on the terrain: that apparently resides on the #2 data card
and is a separate update process that comes from Garmin rather than
from Jeppesen. Cost is expected to be $35 per update or $195 for 12
monthly updates.

Mountains don't move much, but I suppose there are always towers.
However, I wonder about the value of terrain in the midwest. I suppose
if one were in an emergency situation it could be handy to see where
the nearest antenna farm is.

Old December 23rd 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

In article . com,
"Brad" wrote:

200...

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0612/00125R9.PDF

check the NOTAMs before you go...

Is there anything I'm supposed to do with the "WAAS CH 90502 W09A"
information? Are there receivers which require you to tune the WAAS
corrections in manually? I've always assumed that a WAAS-equipped GPS
would just do that automatically.
Old December 24th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron Natalie

Doug Vetter wrote:

The GPS unit must also be installed within about a foot laterally of the
pilot's viewing centerline (the Attitude indicator, usually) and no
lower than the lowest flight instrument. This means that both older
Beech and Cirrus drivers will need to install annunciators (more $$$).

Wasn't this also a requirement of the non-WAAS IFR installations?

The 480 actually has a few waivers of the distance requirement for
Bo's and the like. It was just easier for me to install the GPS/NAV
annunciator though.